myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rowena's Dead Grass
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almst hate stirring the pot of a dead topic but I chatted with the Park "rangers" today at Rowena. At the beginning of the season the assigned ranger met with CGWA with good plans for Rowena. Then when the season started he got reassigned. Now he is sort of back. He told me the water pressure right after it leaves the pump is 20 psi. Not enough to water much. He desn't know if the water table changed or if the 50 plus year old pump is giving up. I'm betting on the pump. So its future is uncertain....
CUSalin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K., In all seriousness... I've done my research. The grass at Rowena has been ignored and not attended to for one simple reason, and that reason is that Park Management has decided to let it go unattended. It's really as simple as that.

Park Management has DECIDED that those who frequent E. Mayer State Park, namely and mostly windsport enthusiasts, are low on their priority list of public users who they are employed to serve. After all, and as I have heard stated, "The Windsurfers will show up, and pay to use The Park no matter what the condition of The Park, so long as it's windy." Other, non-windsport visitors will not. So the wind-sport people get stuck with the shitty conditions.

Park management has DECIDED that not maintaining the irrigation system at E. Mayer is where they will save $'s to meet their budgets. Park Management has DECIDED that not maintaining the irrigation system at E. Mayer Park is where they will demonstrate compliance with drought related water cut-back requests from State & Local Gov't.

I challenge why Park Management has decided to neglect the irrigation system at E. Mayer Park and invite all who use The Park regularly to join me. I can talk to you in more detail in person so look me up.

Finally, I would encourage all who care about such matters to support The Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Assoc., who I understand is actively involved in achieving a remedy to this matter.

More later, gotta go to work so I can......,

CU Sailin,

scottwerden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I cannot muster up a lot of sympathy for your situation. Frankly, it does not seem unreasonable to me based on what you said they DECIDED (why the yelling?). After all, it is true that windsurfers will rig in the dirt and it is true that if the budget is tight you have to make decisions about where to cut costs. So basically your complaint is that they should cut costs at some other park and make someone else suffer instead of you. But then again, I sail a lot at Doug's (no water, no grass, lots of dirt), the Wall (no water, no grass, lots of dirt) and Three Mile (more of the same but add rattlesnakes to the mix) so it seems normal to me to rig in the dirt. Besides, isn't brown the new green?
CUSalin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[b][u]
scottwerden wrote:
Sorry, I cannot muster up a lot of sympathy for your situation. Frankly, it does not seem unreasonable to me based on what you said they DECIDED (why the yelling?). After all, it is true that windsurfers will rig in the dirt and it is true that if the budget is tight you have to make decisions about where to cut costs. So basically your complaint is that they should cut costs at some other park and make someone else suffer instead of you. But then again, I sail a lot at Doug's (no water, no grass, lots of dirt), the Wall (no water, no grass, lots of dirt) and Three Mile (more of the same but add rattlesnakes to the mix) so it seems normal to me to rig in the dirt. Besides, isn't brown the new green?

Scott,

First of all, I'm not "yelling" but rather emphasizing that the rational of drought and budget for not maintaining E. Mayer's irrigation system are in many ways flawed. Sorry you took it that way.
Second, E. Mayer Park is an improved State Park where users pay daily or annual fees to use.., unlike Doug's, which is an unimproved park, (in a different State), The Wall or others you mention. So the comparison is not relative.
Thirdly, my complaint is that Park Management is ignoring the needs of a significant base (maybe the most significant base) of users they are paid to serve and that the burden of budget and regulatory constrains should be more appropriately addressed and applied.
If this doesn't matter to you..., and do not often use E. Mayer Park, then my message is not for you, but rather for whom it does matter.
I didn't start this string, so know there are others who sail at E. Mayer Park often and to whom this topic is important to. My appeal is to them.

surfersteve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed at Rowena last Sat. I rigged on some dead grass, dirt, and lots of pine needles. It was way easier on my sail than the gravel at the Hatchery or rocks and goat heads at The Wall on Friday.
CGW2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your passionate interest in our windsurfing sites!

The CGWA has a good working relationship with Oregon State Parks. We were instrumental in creating Rowena (East Mayer) as a State Park and have held an Adopt-a-Park agreement at various times for this site.

This past Spring we had one of the OPRD rangers who works at Rowena come to several of our board meetings. He was excited about getting the irrigation figured out. We also discussed adding a water purifier for drinking water, a hose to wash off gear, and an outdoor shower. Unfortunately, these discussions were not followed through.

We are actually holding our monthly board meeting at Rowena tonight with one of the OPRD rangers in attendance and will discuss the state of Rowena. We hope to devise a plan to get the grass and irrigation back in order for next season.

Thanks again for your interest, and we hope to have your support as we work this out.

biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the water pressure test yesterday at East Mayer/Rowena. Water pressure is anemically low in that sprinkler system.

I drove by Memaloose State Park yesterday. The grass appeared to be green there, and I think their irrigation system has been on all summer. It is a much bigger park, with significant user fees from overnighters all summer.

Rowena no longer has a park host, since the early Spring. The park host was responsible for maintenance, such as irrigation.

It seems to me the drought is a convenient excuse by the park management to not maintain the green grass AND cut blackberries and other noxious weeds. I think a strong case can be made for East Mayer suffering from "ugly step child" syndrome in the OR park system. The money coming in for that park is paltry compared to many other state parks. Plus, it is in the Gorge, far far away from bureaucrats in Salem, etc.

This is a good example of why CGWA exists, and I think CGWA is worth supporting for the strongest voice possible. CGWA needs to take OR State Parks to task for this. No excuses.

Fred Noble watched this park and made sure it was not made the ugly step child. I MISS FRED NOBLE.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
I watched the water pressure test yesterday at East Mayer/Rowena. Water pressure is anemically low in that sprinkler system.

I drove by Memaloose State Park yesterday. The grass appeared to be green there, and I think their irrigation system has been on all summer. It is a much bigger park, with significant user fees from overnighters all summer.

Rowena no longer has a park host, since the early Spring. The park host was responsible for maintenance, such as irrigation.

It seems to me the drought is a convenient excuse by the park management to not maintain the green grass AND cut blackberries and other noxious weeds. I think a strong case can be made for East Mayer suffering from "ugly step child" syndrome in the OR park system. The money coming in for that park is paltry compared to many other state parks. Plus, it is in the Gorge, far far away from bureaucrats in Salem, etc.

This is a good example of why CGWA exists, and I think CGWA is worth supporting for the strongest voice possible. CGWA needs to take OR State Parks to task for this. No excuses.

Fred Noble watched this park and made sure it was not made the ugly step child. I MISS FRED NOBLE.

Agree and Agree

CGWA does a great job and we need their help on this matter. Also a great reason to support the CGWA by becoming a member and/or volunteering.

And we all miss Fred. Smile

CUSalin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfersteve wrote:
I sailed at Rowena last Sat. I rigged on some dead grass, dirt, and lots of pine needles. It was way easier on my sail than the gravel at the Hatchery or rocks and goat heads at The Wall on Friday.

Don't understand the relevance of continued references to The Hatchery or The Wall. Neither are managed by OR State Parks, neither are "improved" parks, and neither have irrigation systems.

scottwerden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CUSalin wrote:

Don't understand the relevance of continued references to The Hatchery or The Wall. Neither are managed by OR State Parks, neither are "improved" parks, and neither have irrigation systems.

I think the point that steve is trying to make, and that I and others were making is that maybe, just maybe, it is worthwhile to appreciate what you do have rather than complain about what you don't have. I for one love being on the river and am thankful for any launch. The railroad has shut down several launches over the years out east and I am sure they would like to shut down access to the kiters at the Klick sand bar and to kiters who launch from the OR side east of Doug's. I for one would gladly accept shitty rigging spots for more river access and am not going to be too fussy about what we get. I would much rather CGWA spend its time getting us (and the kiters. Yes, kiters are people too) more river access rather than trying to water the lawn at Rowena.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: