myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Exceeding the hull speed on older longboards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
Another bad waterline theory.

Well, this one was taken directly from "The Kona Story" on the Kona One web site ("So a heavier sailor benefits from a longer water line which equalizes their speed in relation to lighter sailors who have a shorter waterline").

konajoe wrote:
In Kona racing, ANY woman, regardless of weight, can use the 7.4. Males have to weigh at least 65 kg. History from major Kona events show that light women have an advantage over the men on 7.4s in light wind, even though the men have a longer waterline.

Yes, a woman weighing less than 65 kg (143 lb) would have an advantage in light wind if she chooses a 7.4 m sail. But women can pick any smaller sail size, too, and have to use the same sail for the entire season (at least for Kona Cup races). So chosing a large sail would put her at a disadvantage in strong winds. I found the weight-class size sail quite a handful in 18 knots, and certainly would not want to use a larger sail for an entire series of races.

Judging from the results of the Kona World Championchips from 2011 to 2014, the option to choose a larger sail size has not given women an advantage. Men took all the overall podium spots at each of the 4 events. The best result for a woman was a 4th place overall for Andrea Holm in 2014 (she also placed 10th in 2013 and 5th in 2012).
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Agreed, the Kona and Mahalo are not as fast as the old racing longboards, in LIGHT winds. Even my Bamba with its thick boxy rails and quite efficient daggerboard and fin, is faster, and points a little higher.

But, in strong planing winds the Kona can really light up. Patrice (Exocet) has claimed 30 knots on both the Kona, and the MAHALO! (Bet the front end pilot was petrified!)

What the Kona really has going for it, is the comfort and balance (step tail-reduced water line length) when planing hard in the straps. That is well worth the small sacrifice to the older boards in sub planing glide and upwind pointing ability in light winds.

It will, of course, easily beat any short non daggerboard hull upwind, downwind, or wherever, in light wind sub planing conditions. It simply 'gets there' reliably, and with certainty.

Exactly what's needed for extended cruising.

I certainly agree that the Kona One is a great board. It's fast enough in light wind to be fun for cruising, and it's fun when planing. It does not really matter whether or not it is faster than a Cat. I think they are close, I get similar speeds, and I have read about someone pushing the Cat above 30 knots, too. I actually prefer my Mistral Pandera when the wind picks up - it's more fun oriented, and just barely slower than the Ultra Cat on a triangle course.

I think one big advantage that the Kona One has over old longboards is the soft top. It's great whenever you have to climb back up a lot - be it from fooling around with light wind freestyle, or because you are just learning to windsurf on your friend's Kona. I'd be quite happy to add a Kona One division to the ECWF Cape Cod races, but there are only very few Kona Ones around here.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="boardsurfr"]
whitevan01 wrote:
However, when a windsurf board is NOT planing, speed IS dictated by length.

Mostly agreed. Although form factors play a roll on how much sail you need to get to the speed, and some hulls may be a bit faster than others at the same length. But mostly, it's length.

whitevan01 wrote:
try sailing equal displacement boards, say an Exocet Pacer 300 Pro hybrid board vs a Fanatic Megacat against each other with equal sail sizes in same wind - once again this is non-planing. the hybrid is much slower primarily because it is shorter, and takes longer to get up to speed because it has more resistance and has more mass, so it requires a bigger sail (more force).

We did a few practice races last year, using a Starboard Phantom 320, and Ultra Cat, an Equipe, and a Kona Mahalo (which is a couple of inches longer than the Cat and Equipe), with 7.5 m sails. We switched boards a few times.

Interestingly, the Phantom was able to keep up quite well even in light winds - if it was railed up. It's huge dagger board makes it rail up quickly, and it had the boxiest rails of all boards. Andy Brandt has called railing up "planing on the daggerboard and the rails", and there is definitely something to this. With the daggerboard, the transition to partially planing was quite smooth, despite the shorter length. It also was quite seamless - not an all-or-nothing transition as on a shortboard.

"The object of the R300 Class is to establish a Class as one in which many different types of production windsurfers, already available internationally, can compete.

They are classified as a Raceboard, but as 'hybrid' designs they are shorter than 'longboards' and have been found to be incompatible when competing against modern longboards."

from Raceboard.org the governing body of the raceboard class. The Phantom 295 is an R300 - "raceboards" less than 300 cm long.
konajoe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion is getting a little strange. Since the beginning of longboard racing, sailors have always been trying to drop body weight. The goal then, and now with Kona, is to be the lightest person in your fleet, even though that gives you the shortest waterline. In true one design, where everybody used the same sail, folks would sometimes comment that it looked like a 'little people' convention.

You'd have to go to the major Kona events to see what happens. Eat salty snacks, drink alot of water, and step on the scale, just to barely get into your weight class.

Competitive Kona women always use the 7.4. You'd also have had to attend those big Kona events to note the wind speed in individual races. The overall results don't tell the whole story.

I raced last night. The waterline length of the hull changes gradually and continuously, getting shorter and shorter with speed. Check it out for yourselves. These things behave nothing like a keel boat. I was getting on a slow plane with a speed of about 5 or 6 knots going down waves.

Ittiandro, probably the best post for showing that the waterline equation doesn't apply to boards with centerboards, is the one with the graph on page 1. The graph shows what I've been saying about the subplane/slow plane/medium plane/ fast plane, and everything between. The boards he tested were capable of going ALL speeds. Reread it, and think about it.

Finally, that strange comment from the Kona site. That step tail is weird. When lightweights and women rail that board upwind, it makes a gurgletrousers noise. It gives you the impression that there's alot of drag back there. When you hear it, it makes you want to keep the board flat. When a heavyweight rails the board in the same conditions, it doesn't seem to make nearly as much noise. This is different from any other longboard.
konajoe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
Judging from the results of the Kona World Championchips from 2011 to 2014, the option to choose a larger sail size has not given women an advantage. Men took all the overall podium spots at each of the 4 events. The best result for a woman was a 4th place overall for Andrea Holm in 2014 (she also placed 10th in 2013 and 5th in 2012).

Look closer at the 2013 event results of the individual races within the regatta. That was a very light wind event. In fact, it was so light that no races were held on the last day. If they would have had enough races for a second throw out, she probably would have won.

The top women were 10, 12, 14, 15, and 18. The top men were 9, 23, and 25. The guy who got 9 ONLY did that well because he was one of the few who recognized something weird going on with the current.

And don't get me wrong. I'd love to get last place in a race in which I'm the only guy. I think the format is perfect. The women still have to sail incredibly well to beat the top lightweight guys.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
The top women were 10, 12, 14, 15, and 18. The top men were 9, 23, and 25. The guy who got 9 ONLY did that well because he was one of the few who recognized something weird going on with the current.

That's a funny way of looking at things. You are grouping two different divisions together here - men's 65-75 and ladies. Still, a guy won.

Even at this light-wind event, the top 9 places overall were taken by men, not women. So whatever advantage women may have from being able to choose a 7.4 m sail at a lower body weight is obviously small.

The 9 men who finished on top used different sail sizes, ranging from 7.4 to 9.0. That covers quite a wide weight range, from 143 lb to 209 lb (65 to 95 kg). I'll take that as proof that the handicap system works rather well.

If there is any weight bias, it seems to be against men weighing less than 143 lb (after "beefing up" for the weigh-in). Looking at the windsurfers at the beaches where I sail, that seems to be a rather small fraction...
konajoe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seemed like you were suggesting that, in a light wind race, a heavier person on a Kona 7.4 would have an advantage over a lighter person on a Kona 7.4 because the heavier person would have a longer waterline. That isn't the case.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
It seemed like you were suggesting that, in a light wind race, a heavier person on a Kona 7.4 would have an advantage over a lighter person on a Kona 7.4 because the heavier person would have a longer waterline. That isn't the case.

It sure is not. Nor did I mean to suggest that. At the same sail size, a lighter person will have an advantage in light wind, up to the point where both sailors can plane without problems (and perhaps even a bit beyond that point). The advantage can be biggest when only the lighter sailor can plane, especially if a board's speed jumps when it starts planing. Not sure if that is the case with the Kona, I have sailed it only a few days. It is certainly the case with the Phantom 320, which goes from "barely competitive" to "wicked fast" once planing.

I did, however, buy the assertion that the handicap system on the Kona One partly works because heavier sailors will have a longer water line. I think the larger sail size is the bigger factor, but a bit more waterline helps, too. I really liked being able to race lighter and heavier guys and gals on even terms on the Kona One, where the final result was mostly dictated by skill, not by body weight. Although in my case, a bit of luck certainly also came into play Smile.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know it's a cliche but, outside of actual racing, it's not what a board does, but how it feels while doing it. Dedicated slalom boards of the 90's were fast, but failed on all else, and were a wrong direction for the industry.

My old Bamba was always the bridesmaid at racing, but in free use it had an uncanny knack of 'galumphing' along at 12 m.p.h.ish in easy going conditions (harness but not in straps) which was (to me) really magical.

All this longboard chat had me bringing it back out yesterday, just to double check. I know the board is in the throes of a nervous breakdown, with tiny little ridges all over it's bottom skin, but they haven't worsened, and I can't just throw it out. After all, it's old and very well used, and entitled to shrink with age just a little, as I assume is happening inside with the skin still unbroken. If I can shrink -used to be 6ft 3 and a bit, but now only 6ft2 and a bit less - I feel it's entitled to also.

The point is that it behaved just as ever when I did exactly as I had on the Kona a few days back. (All over the bay and beyond - here there and everywhere.) I couldn't keep that grin at bay when it still could touch that magical feel.

Despite being a normal short board wind junkie, I do believe that there is a point to longboards which will never see them become redundant in windsurfing. In fact I'm hoping, just as John Cleese said in the Holy Grail film when they were trying a suspected witch 'She turned me into a frog!' So when they all turned and stared at him he then sheepishly said, 'but I got better.'

Such, I hope, will my old Bamba do!
skyking1231

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so Dennis.... this is the thread you were talking about..... oiy Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: