myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Help identifying a board?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jb5000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quickest thing to do would be to buy a used base, remove the existing track from the board, and fix the new base to the board permanently in the middle of the track range (doesn't need to be adjustable).

The "permanent" affixing can be done with a power drill, plastic footstap plugs (to screw into), and long footstrap screws (or similar screw). You would drill holes for the footstrap plug(s), epoxy in place, then screw the base into the plug(s).

The used base could be cheap or donated (could even be outdated "junk", since you are screwing it on - any base would work if you are willing to employ a hacksaw to remove any unwanted attachment parts, and use washers and a drill to affix it to the board with screws through it and into plastic plugs), the footstap plugs and screws are very cheap.

Footstrap plugs are easy to install with epoxy, even into plastic boards - the inner material is foam that usually absorbs epoxy and holds it securely. If something breaks, you can just obtain another base and screw it in place . . . I would not take this rig far offshore into open ocean conditions, but for lake sailing it should be plenty good . . .
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the track is still there, you could probably design a brass washer, with a thread in it to screw a normal base. The base wouldn't slide, but that's not too helpfull for kids having fun.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnw44 wrote:

I have some of the Bic "pucks"... email me, if I can help.

Thanks for the info Greg. About that puck, could you post a picture and provide key dimensions?

Thanks.
petergray

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks once again for all of those suggestions, I really appreciate them, and I'm sure the kids will do too if I can get some more of those boards going for them next year. The kids have all gone home from camp now, and so have I, although the camp hasn't completely closed yet as they do an "adult camp" at the end of the season which I guess is like a hunting camp but with less guns, more water and about the same amount of booze.

I realized that I didn't say much about myself, which was rather remiss of me, so here's my story. I'm probably a bit older than the average windsurfer - 55 - and I learned on one of the original 1970s Ten Cate Windsurfer boards almost identical to the picture attached. The 1980s BiC boards which I am trying to rehabilitate are quite a bit more modern than my old board (which I no longer have, which is a shame). It had a wooden mast foot which fitted into a slot in the board, and that was your mast position, take it or leave it, no sliding mast track, and one of the more loveable features of this design was that it was a fairly loose fit and when you pulled the rig up out of the water, it would quite often pop out and whack you between the legs. So after a few goes at this, you would pretty soon learn to attach the mast foot to the board with a short piece of cable so it had a limited whacking range.

When I came to camp this year as the camp Dr, it was literally 30 years since I had last set foot on a sailboard, and I wasn't sure if I could still do it, but fortunately, after a rather wobbly start, the old magic came back. I did one windsurfing lesson with the one board I managed to get going, but it would be nice if I could get some more kids on some more boards next year.

Thanks again, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to post many more messages, as I think I get electronically kicked off this forum once my 14 day free trial is up.

wstencate[1].jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  93.5 KB
 Viewed:  10628 Time(s)

wstencate[1].jpg

LUCARO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petergray wrote:
I realized that I didn't say much about myself, which was rather remiss of me, so here's my story. I'm probably a bit older than the average windsurfer - 55 - and I learned on one of the original 1970s Ten Cate Windsurfer boards

Nope. There are lots of seasoned veterans ripping the places I sail.

Nice work trying to get some young ones into windsurfing, I hope you get back into it as well. There are no age limits in windsurfing. If you want a real boost to the learning curve check out https://abkboardsports.com/

PS: I think the forum stays open for non-paying members, so let us know how you get along. It is just the windforecasts and some of the sensors that are for paying members only.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the average windsurfer must be around 50...

Great to have you back. I did a similar return a few years ago and I think I have more fun now than I use to have 25 years ago!
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,
I have two mastbases for you !!
The two pucks at the bottom of these bases are 23mm outside diameter (measured with caliper's).
I have all the other specs as well, like...
How deep they go / extend down in to the mast-track car.
And the diameter of the groove, (19mm) which the pins in your masttrack car, clasp onto to.
And "where that groove" is... on the puck. It needs to be in the right spot, so the pins clasp it correctly.

Both bases already have rubber "hourglass" U-joints on them. One is a stubby mastbase (very little extension). And the other has a 44cm extension on it, which has 30 cm of actual useable, adjustable extension. And I don't see any cracks in the rubber u-joints.

I have pics of both... on my ph. And if I can figure out how, I might be able to post them here. Or, WAY easier for me... I can text them to you any time. I already posted my email... so, send me a cell ph # and I can text the pics, if you're interested.

I hope this helps, Greg Smile

PS - Now working on this today, and re-reading these iWindsurf posts. And looking at the specs that you and Ed (in a related thread) both posted. I figured out, that both Bic and the Sailboard brand's used the same size "puck" at the bottom of their mastbase universal joint... in the mid-late 80's. Sailboard went out of business by about '90 I think. And Bic re-designed their system in about 1990.
So, that means I have two complete bases, that will work on your Bic board... and Ed's Sailboard windsurfer.
I have many more "pucks" (plastic, alum, and SS) but they are larger. And I've figured out, THAT is the size of the late 80's Fanatic adjustable mast-tracks.
So, if anyone needs a Fanatic adjustable mast-track mastbase for their mid-late 80's longboard... I have them Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: