myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Please secure your gear!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang around Home Depot as much as I do and you'll get to see everything under the sun stuck on the roof of a vehicles ........ with the free nylon twine that they provide. Nothing like 5 sheets of plywood on the roof of a Jeep Cherokee tied with twine to raise some eyebrows. Warning these people of the ministry of transports huge fines usually falls on deaf ears.
30knotwind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this near The Dalles awhile ago: secured load, check.

IMAG0272-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  216.99 KB
 Viewed:  11551 Time(s)

IMAG0272-1.jpg

willysurf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mulekick84 wrote:
That's odd. I thought most of the SUP boards were actually bolted to the cars. So many people just drive around with them to be cool.

Let's face it, SUP is as non-action as you can get and rapidly dying in non-coastal areas.

I predict a flood of used boards for sale cheap.

Indeed, SUP, as it is practiced here in the Gorge, is the snow shoeing of water sports. Most of the kooks doing it are too stupid/nooby to realize they're not actually having fun. Makes me laugh. Unfortunately, it's not dying anytime soon.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

off topic, but I think SUP is helping to keep the windsurf board companies in business.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willysurf wrote:
Mulekick84 wrote:
That's odd. I thought most of the SUP boards were actually bolted to the cars. So many people just drive around with them to be cool.

Let's face it, SUP is as non-action as you can get and rapidly dying in non-coastal areas.

Indeed, SUP, as it is practiced here in the Gorge, is the snow shoeing of water sports. Most of the kooks doing it are too stupid/nooby to realize they're not actually having fun. Makes me laugh. Unfortunately, it's not dying anytime soon.

I will disagree with calling SUP noobies stupid and who is to judge who is having fun or not? "They" probably think that a lot of us are stupid taking all this way too seriously instead of concentrating on career and family, it's just a sport after all, we aren't getting paid.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta wonder, too, whether Willy has seen folks doing looooong SUP downwinders on huge swell when it's certifiably nukin'.
willysurf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
willysurf wrote:
Mulekick84 wrote:

I will disagree with calling SUP noobies stupid and who is to judge who is having fun or not? "They" probably think that a lot of us are stupid taking all this way too seriously instead of concentrating on career and family, it's just a sport after all, we aren't getting paid.

Beagle,

I have eyes and I know lame when I see it. Just the other day, I saw a SUP'er going out with snowshoes on. He said he was combining 2 of the raddest "sports" into the most raddest sport "snowshoe-SUP." Was that you perhaps?
willysurf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Gotta wonder, too, whether Willy has seen folks doing looooong SUP downwinders on huge swell when it's certifiably nukin'.

I have and it is lame. They have no business being out there in the swell, as evidenced by the tragedy this weekend. Sorry, it's true.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess the park rangers who closed lakes to WSers whenever winds gusted over 20 mph were right?

If the lost SUPer had been dressed and prepared properly -- leash, flotation (it's required by law in WA), and neoprene -- he'd probably be fine. Even on a pond, those pieces of gear are good insurance with no downside. It's not the toy; it's how it's used ... just like cars, guns, alcohol, donuts, the stock market, and danged near everything else we do ... that matters. I'd LOVE to be able to rip up waves/swell under paddle-power on an SUP, but it's not in the cards.
willysurf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I'd LOVE to be able to rip up waves/swell under paddle-power on an SUP, but it's not in the cards.

Well, you would be the first then as nobody has ever "ripped up" anything in the Gorge on a SUP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: