myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Coast spots?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhanson928

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Coast spots? Reply with quote

I've only sailed Florence and that was years ago before I quit sailing for almost 10yrs and then came back to it. I recall harsh northerlies with a huge side current and many lines of soup...basically a big beach break and not that much fun...just a fight to stay up current/wind and not get trapped inside the Zone without any power...

Are there more benign spots that might be easier to manage, maybe more fun and less work to stay in place? Anyone have suggestions? How bout camping...preferably not an RV park setting...
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We stayed at Floras Lake for 3 trips, then it was cheap and clean, and windsurfer's were welcome to sail the beach right off the lake.
Sailed Face Rock and Cape Sebastian in the afternoons.
I thought Florence was the easiest sailing, but the longest carry.
On each wave, you go left once it closes out, getting back upwind. You time your choice of waves to the last two of a set, so you go back out during a lull.
combs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Manzanita?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cinematicsound.com/OregonCoastWaveSailing.pdf

plus the book "Boardsailing Oregon" by Riviere. I gave away a bunch of copies of the book here years ago, and it's still available from Amazon at
http://www.amazon.com/BOARDSAILING-OREGON-Windsurfing-Featuring-Columbia/dp/B004LF1914
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Coast spots? Reply with quote

dhanson928 wrote:
I've only sailed Florence and that was years ago before I quit sailing for almost 10yrs and then came back to it. I recall harsh northerlies with a huge side current and many lines of soup...basically a big beach break and not that much fun...just a fight to stay up current/wind and not get trapped inside the Zone without any power...

Are there more benign spots that might be easier to manage, maybe more fun and less work to stay in place? Anyone have suggestions? How bout camping...preferably not an RV park setting...

Your impression of the OR coast matches mine and that of many very good Gorge sailors. The problem was that we tried to use Gorge-sized boards that rely on power; we should have used great big floaty stuff like 90L so we weren't so sensitive to the ratty wind quality in the impact zone. I gave up trying to go DTL because EVERY downwind/down-current run required walking everything back upwind. I ended up just heading out to sea and trusting the wind to hold. I was more comfortable miles offshore and fully powered than in the shoreline mush and its 10-30 ripslog winds.

Them coasties is good sailors!

What finally ended my coastal sailing stoke was blindness. I couldn't see $#!+ going out because the PM sun bored holes through my retinas directly into my brain. The only way I could identify a 10-foot ramp was by that sinking elevator feeling when I dropped like a rock off the far side. I gave up trying to find sunglasses I could wear in that environment; I may as well have put my helmet on backwards. THAT, even more than its many other hassles, sent me and many other good Gorge sailors back to the more user-friendly river.

Most of my coast sailing was at Agate beach at Newport. MUCH closer than Florence, and MUCH warmer; I've never had to wear more than a 5mm dry suit over a 3mm full wetsuit plus neo hood and 5mm dry booties at Agate ... in midsummer. At Florence I was wishing I had one 'o them orange survival suits some of the local WSers carried on the job ... on crab boats in the Bering Sea in January.

Wild camping wasn't too tough to find in the less populated southern half of the OR coast years ago (downright easy at the Florence jetty), but a Smith & Wesson sleep aid is advised in many spots. In the northern half, heading inland into any boonies still available might find a remote spot, but it will likely be 30-40 degrees hotter than on the coast side of 101 and dead calm; sleep will be elusive even if the cops don't roust you. The great spots I had on the northern coast 20 years ago are long since developed or closed to us overnight squatters.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 3 trips to the Oregon coast, but I never found it colder than Waddell.
Water temps usually 48, air around 52, just perfect for 4/3, booties, no hood unless you plan on falling and thrashing a lot.
That is typical spring time Waddell temps, or Palo Marin, or Limantour down here near San Francisco.
Inland guys forget to ride the last wave or two of the set, setting themselves for a lull when going back out.
Inland guys forget to do one last off the lip, then go LEFT for 3/4's of the whitewater getting back upwind on every wave.
Inland guys forget the inside jibe is a flat water full speed planing jibe, so you're fully planing heading out, thru the lull YOU created, to set up for the outside jumps at full speed, no slogging.
True, 75 liters don't work for 200 lbs guys. That 75 is a floaty log for 150 lbs. wave sailors.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:

Water temps usually 48, air around 52, just perfect for 4/3, booties, no hood unless you plan on falling and thrashing a lot.

Funny you mention it, that is actually my plan.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Only 3 trips to the Oregon coast

It shows. Smile
dhanson928

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
http://www.cinematicsound.com/OregonCoastWaveSailing.pdf

plus the book "Boardsailing Oregon" by Riviere. I gave away a bunch of copies of the book here years ago, and it's still available from Amazon at
http://www.amazon.com/BOARDSAILING-OREGON-Windsurfing-Featuring-Columbia/dp/B004LF1914

Thanks all and Mikey the other link answers my questions...

...It must have been Manzanita I tried years ago, not Florence...Parked up on a hill and schlepped down the beach amidst a bunch of sand sailors in roller cart sail rigs...Walked my Open Ocean back about 10 times up the beach and didn't actually bust anything, though the outside break was easily overhead and all crappy hammered side onshore...cold, too.

Weird to be considered a "good" sailor in the Gorge and elsewhere only to regress to real Kook-isim again at the coast...I'm a bit smarter now and I have some floaty wavey boards...next time (soon) I guess I'll shoot for one of the jetty spots as my slogging jibe sucks....thanks again all.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetties help, but the minute we get past their rip current sheltering effect, all the problems and solutions posted here (and in similar coast threads) will again come into play. Keep your hopes up and your expectations low, knock 20 years off your age, and go to the coast for vacations, not just wind. If I go for the scenery, the food, the beach and forest and dune hiking (sprinting up sand dunes boosts my knee rehab), etc., then I can't get skunked and wind is a pleasant surprise, not a deal-breaker.

Of course, I at least check the forecasts before I set a date.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: