myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New-Need help finding a part
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogersphoto.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: New-Need help finding a part Reply with quote

I have just acquired a free Sailboard Master Class 335 windsurfer (circa 1980s). It came with everything single thing EXCEPT the Mast Base (of course).

Would anybody have any knowledge about this old 1980s board and how to obtain parts or maybe a similar part from another board which may (retro) fit ? I scoured the web with no luck.

I also have the ability to design and print the part if necessary. I just need to get a visual of the actual or comparable/similar part so I can design it.

Here are some images of what I have to attach the mast. Not sure what everything is though:

Thanks for any ideas.

IMG_0477.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  553.23 KB
 Viewed:  21830 Time(s)

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  171.28 KB

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  153.07 KB

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  188.83 KB

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.97 KB

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.9 KB

IMG_0487.jpg

swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would contact Brian Hinde at Open Ocean in Lyle, WA. He designed the board you have, and I know that he has a similar model mounted on the wall in his shop. He just might have the mastbase component you need for use as master to 3D print.

http://www.openocean.com/windsurf.html
rogersphoto.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do that. Much appreciated and thank you very much !
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black 'extension' you have was probably bolted directly to a hourglass rubber universal. They are easy to find. At the bottom was a missing part that you will have to find or design. They use to break a lot and are hard to find because of that!

Nowadays, sliding mastracks are used in a few competition boards only. The vast majority of boards now have a standard track that still allow adjustments, but not on the fly.

If you end-up designing a part, you should also consider gaining compatibility with modern kits. This would allow you to also use modern sails and rigs. The mast you have and the 'extension' are not compatible with modern sails.

For your reference, I also attach an image of a modern universal used with a mast track. (Bic 293) The left part attaches in a track while the right part plugs in a standard Europin extension.

BTW, in your picture, the blue tubes are probably extensions for your boom. Booms now have built-in adjustments.

bic 293 lower mast foot.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.06 KB
 Viewed:  21756 Time(s)

bic 293 lower mast foot.JPG

PinStandMedAlumLG.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.82 KB

PinStandMedAlumLG.jpg

RubberUniversalMD.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.23 KB

RubberUniversalMD.jpg

DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have a mast base part which fits into the track car on your board. On the part I have the attached rubber universal is is seriously cracked and useless.

What is the millimeter diameter of the opening in the track car?

I am traveling now and won't be home to check my stuff until Sept. 29th. The mast base part I have came from a Bic 210 which had a track car which looked exactly like the one in your pictures.
rogersphoto.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DelCarpenter - I measured it with my micrometer at 23mm +/- but it makes sense it might be 25.4 (1"). I included the image with mesurement below

I'm thinking I might try to retrofit using a suggestion I got from Dave at Windance in Oregon:

Brass nut : http://www.windance.com/Mistral-8mm-Mast-Track-Slider-WSWP2359/

Base : http://www.windance.com/Baja-1-Bolt-Tendon-Mast-Foot-WSBE2239/

Extension : http://www.windance.com/Baja-Alum-Standard-EXT-45cm-WSBE4257/

I think that's what @Sailboarder was getting at. It makes more sense if I can "update" allowing me to change to more modern mast & sail.

Somehow I will make it sail again!

Thank you both for the information.

IMG_0482-measurement.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  163.18 KB
 Viewed:  21712 Time(s)

IMG_0482-measurement.jpg

gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger,
Are you still looking for a Sailboard Masterclass "mastbase combo universal joint"... that clicks into your original, mast-track car??
I'm pretty sure, I can help you.

BTW - from your excellent pics, that board looks to be in great condition. It's definitely been stored indoors... cause if it'd been outdoors, the footstraps would've fallen apart by now, and there would be fading, etc.
I sailed one quite a bit, when they were brand new Smile

Email me at < greg NW44 at Hotmail dot com >

Greg -
rogersphoto.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,

I'm definitely still interested but "swchandler" pointed me to Brian Hinde who actually designed the board. I'm giving him a call this week. I think I am missing more than the"mastbase combo universal joint" so I want to see what he has to say.

Do you have the means to post an image of the mastbase joint you have from a couple of different angles? I would like to take a peek if possible.

As soon as I speak with Brian I will better know where I stand and will email you.

I appreciate your help.

Ed
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word of caution if you elect to go with Windance's recommendation. Brass is not the optimum material when considering a mast track slider, because it's too soft and is subject to failure. I had one fail on me (threads ripped clean off), and I was damn lucky to be able to find my entire rig completely submerged on the bottom in the surf zone. Instead of brass, you should be considering one made from stainless steel. They should be available, because I have a number of them that I have used over the years.
rogersphoto.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice. Thanks for the head's up! I don't want to loose my rig in Long Island Sound!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: