myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Zeta 3.2
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Zeta 3.2 Reply with quote

Has anybody ever successfully used this sail in severe gusty gales? I ask because, on the back of an experiment with a home altered small sail in the 90's, I bought the Zeta 3.2 thinking it would be an answer. It wasn't! (An on/off switch!)

Having given up on silly strength winds these last few years, and limiting it to what my modern 4.2 Pryde Combat, on matching Pryde 370 wave mast can manage, the old urge has struck once more.

Last week, in a severe gale, I dragged the old 3.2 back out of the attic, where it was flung in disgust about 20 years ago, plugged it into the old narrow Acid wave board, picked a cross/off location with a more moderate sea state, and expected it to work. (On the modern Pryde 370, as distinct from the old epoxy Rotho wave mast of the old days. It didn't!

Briefly Ok in the powerful gusts at full planing speed, but nothing whatever to lean on and balance the sinking board in the lully bits. However, the old itch has struck so, through my dealer friend I've bought a good used last years Combat 3.7 sail which will work on the 4.2 sail mast.

I never cease to be amazed at life. I never believed I'd want to return to silly wind escapades, but we all start to wonder if, perhaps, we are a little past it! The struggle must be fought (we are a long time dead) but NOT with that bloody Zeta 3.2!!!!!
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that for me, and I don't get much time on RED BULL STORM CHASE WINDS, THAT smaller IE under 4.0 sails have all been twitchy and nervous.

I sold a really new 2.9 that I said if things were that windy I should be sitting in a beach chair with a Corona.

I might suggest a Superfreak ,due to its softness, ability to absorb gusts.

A older sail, no

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks U2. I thought I wouldn't be alone in hating those old tiny sails!

The new (used,but 014) 3.7 Combat was delivered just this morning, so I check rigged it in the garden. (Much to the annoyance of my friendly blackbird who had his worm forays disrupted.) It looks very promising.

Certainly agree that todays small sails are much more applicable, and well thought out. The 4.2 Combat which I regularly use (matching 370 carbon mast) is the best 4.2 sail I've ever used. Love it! Hopefully the 3.7 will share those same characteristics.

If not, I'll re-retire from stupid winds! Laughing Laughing
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sitting on an ice bag as I type because of a gusty long session on a 4.7 yesterday. The wind was way on and than off. It was changing directions so the water state was confused to say the least. I have had lots of great days on that sail. Yesterday's conditions just made it hard to enjoy. With few exceptions, 3.2 gusty winds will always be difficult at best..
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT, I don't think you should be too hard on your aging sail! I think your experience is fairly common. I'm 205 (14.5 stones in your language) and at 40mph and above I'll take out my 3.5 Ezzy which is about 5 years old and the smallest I own. The combination of a small sail and low volume board exaggerates the impact of lulls, particularly for heavyweights, so I also experience that on/off switch feel. Careening high speed bursts followed by frantic attempts to stay on the board. A 20 year old design probably isn't helping, but I'm guessing that many sailors with the latest gear will also have that on/off experience in gusty high winds with small sails. It can be frustrating, but it just has to be done!
LeeD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zetas in good condition work as well as any brand new sail, ever made.
But, board choice is huge. Sinking to your knees in lulls, then getting powered up from there, is not recommended.
So, 70 kg sailors really need around a 75 liter board to float and slog in the lulls, which is too big for gusts of 35+ for their weight.
Since no sail can handle gusts and lulls of 15+ mph, there is no cure, except a BIGGER board, that is slow enough to handle the chop and the gusts.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have largely gotten away from sailing very small gear in high wind. The original motivation was a lesson with Matt Pritchard on Maui in 35 mph winds. I was barely hanging in there with a 77 board, he was in perfect control on a bigger board and bigger sail (we're about the same weight). Obviously, there were a few skills that I needed to learn. He taught me a few things, mostly stuff I had heard before but did not do enough. No surprise, it worked. I now stick to my 3S 96 even when the wind averages are in the high 30s, and most guys are on much smaller boards. Similarly, I tend to hang onto larger sails longer. It's usually just a couple of sessions a year (out of 100-150) that I am on a 3.7 or 4.0.

For sailing overpowered, having a sail that behaves well when partially open really helps. The old North Ice are great in this respect. Jibing gets a bit harder and takes a little getting used to. But I find it much preferable to balancing on a tiny board with a tiny sail in lulls.

A few tips from Andy Brandt also helped a lot: put your hands closer together - small sails are really easy to over sheet accidentally since you have more leverage. Slow things down, both your movements and the board speed. In 35 mph wind and chop, you will be going slower than in 25 mph wind, anyway.
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What mast did you feed the beast?
I'm a little tired from fighting my 5.0 for 3 straight days, time to pull the trusty ol' Zeta (in its 4.2 version).

With a skinny mast, I found it quite tolerant with decent low end. It's no power sail but a pleasure to sheet in at the jibe or surf without ripping tendons out of my shoulders!

Here is a test I did a while back trying different masts on it: https://youtu.be/0MwoGVBD8zU

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as Mr G says 'it just has to be done' No escaping that fact! I just don't any longer expect it to be fun,

But I agree that a bigger board always did help. I'll try the new 3.7 on the bigger 84 litre Exocet Cross, at first chance.

Can't agree Lee that the old Zeta was as good as any modern sail. Bomb proof yes, but sailing wise......
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen your post Manuel. Yes, I used to also have the 4.2 Zeta, and it was much better, though still a handfull when overpowered on the old epoxy ROTHO WAVE mast.

I re-tried the 3.2 on a Pryde SDM 370, as recommended for the Combat 4.2. (And an alternative for the Combat 3.7, which I will be using). I only have one new RDM mast but it is a 400, and too big to have tried.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: