myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
UPDATE 1PM Video Blog: 3 mile canyon averaging 35 mph!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Roosevelt to 3 Mile downwinder? Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
One of my dreams is to do a downwinder from Roosevelt to 3 Mile

One guy does it a few times each season, but he continues past 3-Mile to Alderdale on the WA side, then hitchhikes back to Roosevelt, as he's alone. It's about an 18-mile run. Its primary risk is that the wind often peters out before it reaches 3-Mile. He doesn't mind slogging for hours if necessary, though, and stays dry in the process.
blockidog

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 Mile…my all-time favorite spot to sail in The Gorge…
30knotwind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's incredible that so few people sail at 3mile, a 1.5 hour drive from HR for the best quality sailing--no contest--on the entire Columbia! How far would you drive for an epic powder skiing day? On this day, a Saturday no less, at the Loroc green marker, I was the only one there for ~2.5 hours on a 3.7 with non-stop massive, overhead, smooth swell trains! Almost always, its just me and 2-3 buddies on a mile and a half wide river and no one upwind until Arlington, 11 miles of fetch away. Would be nice to have more windsurfers out there since it is most often a lonely, albeit very happy, place and fires way more than people think! Kites are becoming more common, but still just a few regulars and very few on huge days.

Last edited by 30knotwind on Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

30knotwind wrote:
It's incredible that so few people sail at 3mile, a 1.5 hour drive from HR for the best quality sailing--no contest--on the entire Columbia!

When it blows.
I drive past 3-Mile on Highway 14 every time I go WSing. It VERY seldom has wind compared to launches further west.

Many people aren't comfortable sailing up to Low Rocks.

As for as that Saturday, it was windy everywhere out east.

And I gather you haven't sailed Port Kelley.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Roosevelt to 3 Mile downwinder? Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
biffmalibu wrote:
One of my dreams is to do a downwinder from Roosevelt to 3 Mile

One guy does it a few times each season.

Thanks. Next prospective downwinder day, I will ask around for One Guy at Roosevelt. Alderdale is a suitable take-out, and I don't mind hitching either. I have one friend who has finished this downwinder, but it was 15 years ago, and now he is 90% kiter. So he doesn't have the muscle strength anymore to do it on a windsurfboard. He said he would kite it with me, but that makes me nervous as I believe this puts him at more risk for needing a rescue. And that would be a serious buzz-kill for me.
30knotwind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive past higher wind at Arlington to sail better swell trains at 3mile. Just seems like there are a lot of people who would appreciate the HQ swell riding.

I haven't sailed Port Kelly. I lived in Spokane for 7 years and wasn't dialed into Port Kelly's nuance despite watching it that whole time. I've heard it is great when the wind is just right, but seems like it only happens a few days a year, mostly autumn, and not always on the weekend. Also, 3mile has always been preferred because of camping, and lagoon for intermediates/beginners in the family.

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Roosevelt to 3 Mile downwinder? Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
I will ask around for One Guy at Roosevelt.

It's "Slinger" John Whaley (I think that's his last name) from The Dalles.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30knotwind wrote:
I haven't sailed Port Kelly. ... I've heard it is great when the wind is just right, but seems like it only happens a few days a year, mostly autumn, and not always on the weekend. Also, 3mile has always been preferred because of camping, and lagoon for intermediates/beginners in the family.

You got sage advice from some wise person. Camping was recently banned at PK (fishermen trashed it out), and it is NOT a good spot for intermediates. Heck, it makes many advanced and some expert sailors work too hard for their fun, and the walk of shame is even worse than that west of Bob's Beach.
30knotwind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John did a downwinder on Saturday from Arlington. He arrived at 3mile just as the last of us were limping off the water in dying wind and fading light on 4.2s. He sailed a 4.7, which must have been quite a handful most of the way. He said it was not fun. If I did it, I'd do it on a more moderate but solid forecast when the wind is not expected to die in the afternoon, which it didn't, so maybe he had a little luck, IMO.
blockidog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a shot of a 4.2 day in July 1999.

Perfectly powered and huge swell:

3 Mile Canyon OR.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.55 KB
 Viewed:  14023 Time(s)

3 Mile Canyon OR.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: