myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
light wind, reverse duck wind jibe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: light wind, reverse duck wind jibe Reply with quote

I’ve been working on a light wind reverse duck jibe my last few sessions and the sail just falls into the water. I go switch, bear off the wind a little, slice the sail into the wind, then throw the sail. I’m not sure if I should be throwing it harder, or maybe throwing and pulling it back behind me but I can't get it to float back up. Any help would be great as it would be a cool move to transition to planing conditions.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, how much wind did you have in your tries? If it's light, you cannot throw the sail, it won't come up. You'll have to pull the clew back behind you instead. That also seems to be how many pro freestylers do the switch duck in planing conditions.

Keep in mind that going downwind reduces your apparent wind. Try ducking on a beam reach, or even going slightly upwind. You can always tack out.

If you're trying in more than 10 mph, you may be throwing to hard. You may be letting the mast go to far to the water, or you may be throwing the clew down to hard (in which case the clew may be hitting the water first). Could also be that you're trying with too big and/or heavy a sail. 4.5-4.7 should be good for you, with a light RDM mast. Nina uses a 4.2 in light wind.

The other thing that is a must for Switch Duck Jibes and Duck Tacks is sail chi on the beach. I think the switch duck is almost impossible to learn unless you practice luffing from the clew for at least an hour or so. Maybe you'll have to visit us in Kalmus Smile.
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://youtu.be/V2TvwDMclUo

Last edited by adywind on Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Peter and Adywind.
I've been using a 5.0 in about 10 mph wind.
I thought that by turning down wind I could help initiate the turn, but will try on beam or pointing slightly upwind. Thanks the pointers regarding sail handling. I think I'm throwing the clew down too hard. I'll have to try it with a 4.2 instead. definitely come
down to kalmia!
Thanks Adywind. I gather a reverse duck jibe is a switch stance duck jibe, but I'm trying one with a throw of the sail, here is a video (albeit this is a video planing...from the master Andy Brandt Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdFNeE4Ovmo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: