myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mast Track Repair Fail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pthorner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Mast Track Repair Fail Reply with quote

My two bolt base plate was loose and unbeknownst to me it smacked up and down on my board until it cracked the front of the mast track loose from the board. I chipped it out and filled it with two part epoxy from Westmarine and sailed it a few hours later... seemed okay. Next session, I go to pick up the board to put it on the roof rack and it is so heavy I can barely get it over my head Sad The reapir peels off easily in one piece and seems not adhered or keyed in to anything. I did rough the surrounding deck with 80 or 100 grit.

I'm not ready to read Eva's bible or vac bag my board but want to try and get it usable after baking in the sun. Should I go more than 50% on the hardener or just use ding stick? Seems like these kind or repairs usually work for me. Could my West System stuff go bad after a few years in the garage?

Peter

DSCN0347c.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.88 MB
 Viewed:  9214 Time(s)

DSCN0347c.jpg

gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its dead - put a fork in it and get a new board. The work required to do a proper repair will quickly outstrip the cost of a new (used of like quality) board. Mast boxes are areas of high stress and integral to the structure and integrity of the board. I would imagine even the best repair by Eva might not hold.

As stated by Dr. Steve, don't get bummed, just look upon it as a new opportunity to upgrade your toy collection.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soggy boards will remain wet whatever we do, and EPS that wet degrades and delams rapidly. Whether you use West Marine, Gorilla Glue, chicken crap, or hammer and nails, that board is toast. Eva could prolong its suffering, but the underlying disease is terminal. It's time to start looking for a replacement. Meantime, open that vent plug every moment it's not being sailed; it takes surprisingly little heat to increase the water vapor pressure inside a damp -- let alone heavy -- board, and internal pressure is fatal.

NEXT time, for you and anyone else with a treasured board they really like, the time to start looking for a backup is when you realize how special a particular board is.
pthorner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so it sounds like a combination of the fork (gerritt) and the chicken crap (isobars) is the way to go to keep the repair costs down. Does the fork go along the side of the mast track or up front? I'm guessing that I got the prorated cost of the board down to less than $3 per sailing day, so I guess I can't cry for too long. Thanks for the diagnosis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: