myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wavesailing NJ next days
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mraupp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Wavesailing NJ next days Reply with quote

Hi guys, I am fresh in the area and in the states too. There is some NE wind showing up for sunday and the days after. My question is where I can go for some nice wavesailing conditions and where it is allowed to windsurf too. Where do you guys normaly go for wavesailing; Sailing together is much more fun. I sailed in different countries around the world, fe. SouthAfrica/capetown, Ireland/BrandonBay, Maroc/Moulay, The Netherland (where I come from) etc. Will use my 104 Goya Quad and Ezzy Elites 6.1/5.3/4.7/4.2; I need some 18 kts to go.

I am also new on this forum so forgive me if my reaction is not too quick. I live on the west site of Philly, but I am willing to ride 2 hours to get the energy I need, after almost 2 months of not sailing.

Best regards, Maarten
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to Hatteras for the American Windsurfing Tour! It'll be a 8 or 9 hour drive. Stay for the week. Enjoy amazing wavesailing conditions and meet people from all over the east coast/world!

http://wind-nc.com
outcast

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy is right,,,,Hatteras is the gem of East Coast wavesailing.

Welcome/Aloha....all that.

Strathmere in southern New Jersey.. is your best bet for Northeast winds.

I haven't sailed there in a bunch of years, and it may have changed since Hurricane Sandy, but it was damn good.

Best to let the swell build for a day or two if you want the fun stuff, but it's your closest wave action for Philly.

And yeah Hatteras is gonna rock this week for those who don't have to work

rswabsin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maarten,

Welcome! The good news is we are entering the prime wave sailing months here in the northeast and there are 2 tropical depressions in the Atlantic which may give us waves over the coming weeks. Here is a nice free website for checking wave/surf forecasts: www.swellinfo.com

Here is a real nice site with maps and local info on a variety of spots throughout NJ, NY, and places south: http://www.windvisions.com/launches.html

For northeast wind, you want to sail in the southern half of NJ as the coast line turns and faces more southeasterly to give you side shore winds. Use goggle earth and look at Long Beach Island - you want to sail off the northern most beach just down wind of a large stone jetty. This will cut off the side current and give you a chance to make it out through the surf. At the southern end of the Island, there is a state park with a cove and jetty as well that also offers excellent wavesailing. Expect to carry your gear a good distance to get to the water - but its always worth it. Long Beach Island (LBI) will offer you the best conditions for northeast wind. This is our off-season now so you can sail off any beach - there are no lifeguards or beach badges needed now. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of us sailer's left out here in NJ so most likely you'll be sailing alone - but you may find some kiters that will welcome your company. From Philly, LBI is about a 1.5 hour ride due east. If things look too heavy on the ocean, sailing in the bay is also an option - the wind is often much stronger on the bay but you'll need a weed fin. Single fin high wind boards are best for the bay.

If you feel motivated on Sunday - I'm going to try and sail oceanside Sunday at Sandy Hook which is at the northern end of NJ's coast - probably a 2 hour ride for you but traffic should be lite. Park in the second lot and walk over to the ocean side to see if anyone is out. If it's averaging in the upper teen, someone will be there.

Both Sandy Hook and LBI have windmeters on iwindsurf - click on these sensors and then click the "Local Info" tab for more info on these spots.

Hope to see you on the water -
Rob
rswabsin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah - another option for you but much longer drive is Long Island, NY. Check out this site and map for more info. Never sailed out there but there is a strong windsurfing community and they get great wave sailing conditions in northeast winds. Mike - "the Peconic Puffin" may chime in about Long Island if he sees this post.

Here is his blog: www.peconicpuffin.com

Rob
mraupp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, Outcast and Rob,

Thanks for replying! If I had no time restrictions, for sure I accept the hours in the car and stay in Hatteras for a couple of days. We moved over 3 weeks ago, kids to school, starting up, strange language, etc. so I didn't have the time of the world.

Thanks for the spot info and the information that sailing is possible at (almost) every beach. Tomorrow family day at the beach and will take my windsurf- and surfboards. See how the conditions develops. Tuesday and wednessday forecast looks nice. I will find my way and hope to meet you once during a nice session. Sailing together is much more fun.

On FB there is a group WindsurfingNJ; I only see some inland or lake action on that. Will find out if in that community are some people enjoy the waves too.

Best regards, Maarten
JohnnyA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mraupp

NE - Barnegat Light, LBI, 15th street,

long walk to the ocean, but well worth it, as the wave is a good left that works well on NE winds

have fun and hit the lip
JohnnyA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mraupp

Top Of The Mast, 23rd ave, SeaSide Park, NJ looking good today- NE 23-27

see you on the water
bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very south end of LBI (Holgate, wooden jetty) also works very well on South West and ENE which is what we are likely to see over the next few days. This launch has a much shorter walk than up at the lighthouse (I've sailed both). There is one rock jetty to the South of the wooden jetty, and then everything is wide open. You can get some very nice, long rides here as the waves setup just north of the wooden jetty. I know this week there will likely be at least one other sailor there if the wind is up.

The nice thing about LBI is that you also have the option for bay sailing at 68th street if the wind isn't working on the ocean. In the summertime, it is quite common for the wind to be several knots higher on the bay than on the ocean when the wind is from the South.

sm
mraupp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Johnny and Bred2Shred,

Thanks for the additional information! Didn't find my way and time down there but for sure it works out for me next days.

Best regards, Maarten
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: