myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wavesailing NJ next days
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scargo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen Rd is also a good spot on NE winds, arguably better than Trixies b/c there's no wind shadow on the way out. Also E winds, where, depending on the precise direction, you can sail almost all the way to the lighthouse on one tack (nearly seven miles). As you converge upon the IBSP peninsula, the water gets flatter & flatter. I remember one sesh where I did that roundtrip four times (nearly 98 miles). Yes, there's a time and place for B&F blasting.

Anyway, I might head to the spy house this weekend. Haven't sailed there in a long time, and, as others have noted, it's a nice spot in N & NE conditions.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scargo- yeah you'll be pleasantly surprised with the new beach at Spy House. Army Corps did a huge beach replenishment there after Sandy. It's a pretty neat success story in that the dune grass they planted to maintain things has really become well established. It's really awesome now and well worth the trip.
Rob
rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah. If anyone is interested. Most of us park at the lot about 1 block east of the actual Spy house which is an old historic home sitting on the dunes overlooking the bay. You can also park and launch from the spy house lot.
RSA147

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff, ideal beach (spy house) sounds like it may be the spot to hit. Forecast is going a little bonkers at the moment so will make a call tomorrow evening but looks like Saturday may be the best (least amount if rain and nit 60kts of wind). I assume a 80l wave board and 4.2-5.4 sails should be fine?
bred2shred

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of one fellow sailor who will likely be trying to sail Holgate, aka the wooden jetty, this weekend. It is an ocean side launch on the bottom of LBI. It is a good spot on NE winds, particularly if they have a bit more East to them. This is because LBI is aligned somewhat NE/SW as opposed to the more Northern NJ launches where the beach runs pretty much N/S and cause ENE winds to be very onshore.

I doubt I'll make it down there due to family commitments, but may get out farther north, likely Trixies.

sm
rswabsin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSA147 - Check the Sandy Hook wind meter for conditions at Spy House. Its usually a few knots weaker at Spy House than what the wind meter read at the Hook. 4.2 to 5.2 is fine with an 80 L wave board. But if wind is upper teens to low 20's, you may want something a little bigger.

Rob
RSA147

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks, I'll make sure to check the wind meter. I have slalom kit I can use from around 15-25 kts so may take that along if wind is too light for the wave kit. Looks like the system is moving slower than expected, Sunday is looking better and Saturday is easing up a little. Any restrictions I need to be aware of? Can I just show up and rig in the parking lot? Would be great to have some company out there.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Saturday, the wind seems like it will likely pick up earlier down south so Trixies, Allan Rd, etc. may be the call for mid morning/early afternoon if the system moves slow. But if the wind is up at the Hook, I'm very close to the Spy House so I'll sail there as a first choice and travel south second choice if the wind is too light up north. No obstructions, hazards (other than tidal currents) or restrictions at Spy House. Beach access is free. We rig on the grass in the lot which is nice and carry rigged gear in. Its good to be aware of the tides - you don't notice any current while sailing but if you break down far offshore it may be tough to get back in. The tides lag about 1 hour behind the Sandy Hook tide chart.
scargo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spy house folks: what happens if the wind is dead E, which may be the case on Saturday? I seem to recall sailing there long ago on an easterly, and the hook created a substantial wind shadow. But I could be misremembering . . .
rswabsin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead easterly wind is perfect side shore to side on at Spy House. E/SE is still good too but anymore south and it gets shadowed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: