myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wavesailing NJ next days
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RSA147

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooo..keeping an eye on saturday. Any thoughts on where to go sail?
rswabsin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy Hook (bayside) typically has the best exposure for northwesterly winds and the tide will be high near noon so that's optimal for big swells in the channel. There will likely be a fun crowd there. Also, the Barnegat bay in Lavallette and Seaside will be fun too with likely quite a few sailers/kiters as well. I've sailed Spy House on a northwesterly quite a few times and if you like starboard side jumps, it'll offer up some really healthy ramps with the high tide. So depends what you like.

Rob
RSA147

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rob, I'm keen to hit ocean side if there is anyone else heading out, if not I'll try and come over to Sandy Hook. I can't do starboard jumps at all, but guess it would be a good time to learn.

Anyone else thinking of hitting ocean side on Saturday, some company would be much appreciated.

Jaco
rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forecast is calling for west/northwest winds in NJ which is pretty much dead offshore for all the NJ coast so no one will be wave sailing in NJ. Gotta head north up to Rhode Island and southern Mass for better shoreline angle. See the other thread in this forum titled - "Its a little early". In that thread the guys are talking about Matanuck and Horseneck parks. Google earth them and see the potential. Never sailed up there but would love to road trip if I had the time.
RSA147

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh, gotcha.. Jup road trip will not be feasible this weekend. I'll then either do allen road (a bit closer for me) or come join up in Sand Hook on Saturday then.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, W & NW winds are not really ocean conditions in NJ. You could potentially do the bottom of Cape May which I have heard is ocean-ish on those directions, but I've never actually sailed there.

Other good spots for sailing on Barnegat Bay would be Lavallette, Seaside, or Brant Beach (LBI). I'm sure there are plenty of other good spots, but those are among the most popular. You definitely want to try to get onto one of the barrier islands so that you get to sail onshore or side-onshore conditions. Allen Rd will be offshore, so less desirable. My personal choice would be Lavallette. Nice rigging area, easy launch, good clean wind for this direction.

The only thing you have to watch out for with persistent, strong W/NW winds is that occasionally the barrier islands can have flooding issues which can restrict access to certain launches impossible.

sm
rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Lavallette is real nice on a solid northwesterly. You've got a little variety in conditions there - shallow flats to the south for speed runs, glory jibes and just taking a break to rest or adjust your rig with B&J action in the middle. Plus, if we do get gusts to 40 knots as forecast by NWS - it's nice to be able to wait those out on the flats.

Rob
bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to do real speed runs at Lavallette, there is a small cluster of low islands just North of the launch. On a W/NW wind, you can do a quick up-winder to get there and there is a small opening on the West side of the islands that will allow you to duck behind them.

Sail upwind into the body of the bay until you can lay the opening on a port tack and bear off. Try to time your enterance behind the islands with a good solid puff. As soon as you get behind the island, the water will be dead flat and you can do a blazing speed run for 50 or so yards (maybe more) then rip your jibe fully wound up in flat water as you approach the end of the island. If you time it right and nail your jibe, you'll be able to sail back upwind, out of the opening in the islands, back out into the bay, jibe back and do it all over again. Lot's of fun and one of my favorite things to do on a strong West wind.

sm
rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly where you mean. I never though of sailing back into there myself but I often see the kiters work their way back there. Definitely have to give it a try.

Thanks!
RSA147

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking I'll try Lavallette tomorrow, where does everyone launch from? Anyone planning to head that way tomorrow? I'm keen for a early sail as I need to be back in Philly by 4:30pm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: