myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
iwindsurf classic site is behaving very badly.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MULLDE102f

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We pay HOW MUCH for this crap?"

I pay $160 a year for a service that almost always performs flawlessly, and saves me more than that in gas for sure.
Try going back to listening to the NOAA buoy reports to figure out if you should cut out on work to get to the beach. I think you'd be begging for iWindsurf back.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomg wrote:
works flawlessly for me.

But at what time of day? The problem generally starts around 5:15 PM Pacific time, affects a wide variety of platforms and protocols, and has two very different symptoms, one random (maybe 80% of attempts) and the other consistent.

Weatherflow demands some kind of Weatherflow code, beyond my usual ID and password, to file a problem report. IOW, just logging into iW for full data access is not good enough.
???
airwave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had various issues for over a year. Poorly updated tide charts, lost wind meter readings, links that require Java updates or links that need different browsers, etc. In most every case when I report or request info from the support team at iWindsurf I get told that they are no longer updating or improving the Classic site and insist that everything is fine on the non Classic site.

That may be true. The non Classic site may work properly. Except for one thing. The user interface for the non Classic site in my opinion is a mess. It is to "crowded", to busy, and is general poorly designed.

Maybe after spending some time using it I (we) could all get use to how it works and get use to navigating it. But why??? The Classic site is designed nicely. Though I am not an app designer I know enough about it to know that the non Classic system could be designed to work and act like the Classic interface. But for whatever reason Weatherflow just does not seem to want to provide that to its customers.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use WAP. Quicker, cleaner, leaner, simpler, and all the data I have any use for. Sure, my smart phone can access their full website, but it adds primarily clutter and unneeded bells, whistles, and a pretty face. I just want data; I'm not taking the damn thing to the prom.
ctuna

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: I am almost sorry I started this blog Reply with quote

I am almost sorry I started this blog.
But the issues I was having kept coming up
over the period of the last three months.
I think this service is so valuable but when I keep
getting constant glitches sometimes just before I determine
if I am going its irritating.
The new site has some good stuff in it but its kind
of hard to navigate or maybe I am just to old to learn new
things.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airwave wrote:
I get told that they are no longer updating or improving the Classic site and insist that everything is fine on the non Classic site ... The non Classic site may work properly ... the non Classic site ... The Classic site is designed nicely. ... the non Classic system could be designed to work and act like the Classic interface ....

OK; you made me look. I wasn't aware there are two separate iW websites. I thought that strange gray map I stumble across once every few months was some fluke to be cast aside like spam.

So now I know: if I need to see today's wind plot in Goomigow, Banghladesh I can get there just by opening up yet another website, navigating to the Goomigow Harbor sensor, and determining what sail size people on the other side of the planet are using today ... if that sensor correlates well with the wind out on the water.

You're kidding ... right? I'm supposed to ... what? ... load up the right boards, sails, and wetsuits, top off my tank, and drive from Kennewick, WA to Goomigow, Banghladesh for an evening sesh? Sorry, guys, but I draw the line at 500 miles for two hours of wind and daylight.

WAP. Click, data, drive, arrive, click, fresh data, rig, shred. Not one ad, no graphics other than wind plot, not even time to blink between click and data. If I wanna look at pretty pictures, I'll take a freaking comic book.

Geez .... no WONDER people don't have enough time in their days to get much done, whether it's typing here or saving mankind. They're too busy playing with their stupid phones.

Again: K I S S.

Clue me in, please. What am I missing by getting straight to the heart of the matter, which is A) Do I drive? and B) What size sail?
ctuna

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: You can set a lists of preferences in the new site Reply with quote

You can set a lists of preferences in the new site
for area's you are interested in .
Use the favorites setup and there are more resources
but not as easy to get it in one keystroke.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have that on my cell phone.
myWind's present gusts, lulls, and average at a dozen sites of my choosing? One click, one second.
The wind at any site I choose, every 5 minutes for past 3 hours plus graph of same plus predicted wind the rest of the day? One click, one second.
Gradients and water temperature? One click, one second.
Forecasts from any of many sources, with weather maps if desired? One click, one second.
PRESENT current at The Wall? One click, one second.
NOAA products? One click, one second.
Radar and/or satellite, snapshot or moving? One click, two seconds.
Surface map of fronts, highs, lows? One click, three seconds.

And I can even make phone calls on it if I wish ... probably even to Banghladesh.
MULLDE102f

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weatherflow claims that Isobars doesn't exist, despite his sixteen thousand(!) posts on their website.

Hey, Mike, maybe they've killfiled you so as to not have to listen to you spew on about a web page that you don't seem to understand how to work.

That's what you brag about doing yourself, right? If anyone calls you on your silliness, you just stick your fingers in your ears and say "la, la, la, you're killfiled, I can't hear you.

Sure couldn't blame them..
airwave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I am sitting at home reading the digital news and my email .... on my computer ... not my 2" wide cell phone, I would like to also check the wind in my area. Classic iW does this easily. I can also quickly check another location. Like when I want to travel to the Gorge or to the East Coast.

And yep, the new and improved version does it too....

As long as I do as ctuna stated:
"set a lists of preferences in the new site
for area's you are interested in .
Use the favorites setup and there are more resources "

I would prefer to use a simply and quick system. Like Classic iW. albeit a simple system like Classic iW that is actually properly updated in the background by the company that I pay for the service.

I would prefer not to use a more complex system that has maps in motion with the magic thumb/forefinger, or first/second digits, and better hope you dried and warmed your hands if just washed or if you grabbed a cold beer, otherwise the map takes you off into outer space, and an assortment of links you have to scroll through, or hidden links of your favorite places, just to get to the simple stuff.

I really do not subscribe to iWindsurf so that I can be up to date on the latest and greatest hyper, scroll, touch screen, multi app access capabilities........as long as I do all of the updating when prompted.

I'm sticking with Classic until it is dead and gone. At which point I hope I am living where there is wind and water in my front yard and I can just look out the window and decide if it is time to get on the water or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: