myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
thruster fin physics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 79 Ltr 2015 thruster OO with wingers, is good from 5.2 to 3.7, but it ain't your
granddaddy's OO. It's 7'9" and pretty wide, and the mast track is back from
where they were in the 90s. For the water state around here, it's a keeper, and
I'll never give up my thrusters., which are both loose, and track well.
Personally, I think pearling is an operator error issue.

-Craig
dhanson928

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed! Operator Error when I pearl my Open Ocean...

I have a couple of my own shapes, thruster fin, similar to Brian's, but I did put some more "nose" on em, because I LIKE to use my knees forward when carving a jibe...it just feels good. When the swells are tight, I have to remember I'm on my OO and use some more back foot, if I am coming into the trough at a right angle and overtaking the swell ahead....

Every board I've sailed wants a bit of 'adaptation' from the sailor to perform at it's best...The OO can be pearled if I drive it hard into the leading swell...I can get away with that a bit more with a "bonzer nosed" board.

I do find the thruster fins I have on all the boards I sail right now seem to allow me to go upwind better, usually, than many others on the water, and I also seem to get planing pretty easily with smaller sails...

I wish I knew more of the physics...but I've experimented often with thruster placement, size and angle...and it is SO mysterious what makes it work better or worse......too many variables...but that is the fun of it...
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
I think pearling is an operator error issue.

That certainly enhances the prospects, but some boards make it mighty easy.
I have no interest in tiptoeing around the problem, considering the hundreds of boards without it.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No argument there Amigo, life is short, ride what works for ya.

-Craig

isobars wrote:
cgoudie1 wrote:
I think pearling is an operator error issue.

That certainly enhances the prospects, but some boards make it mighty easy.
I have no interest in tiptoeing around the problem, considering the hundreds of boards without it.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being an OO sailor since 1992, in my experience it's the rockerline that keeps the nose low. While my first OO was a single facet single fin, and it had a more forward placed mast track popular at the time, my first 8'2" triple facet tri-fin in early 1996 had a more aft placement of the mast track that is more in line with the industry at the time.

In total, I've had 3 8'2"s, and they all perform very much the same, regardless of the increasing stubbier nose over time (Brian said that he changed the nose shape to keep his shapes looking modern). That said, in 2005 I bought a used 2002 7'10" tri-fin that was much narrower (19.5"), and it incorporated a much wavier rockerline. Its maneuverability was much more lively, particularly in Gorge swell. In contrasting the two designs, it was clear that the 8'2" was rockered for more of a bump and jump environment with a flatter tail rocker for good speed in rough water. While the maneuverability factor was still fairly good, you can really discern its flatter rocker in the surf. The 7'10", on the other hand, was much less sticky off the bottom and the top.

In closing, I think that it's important to highlight the fact that Brian makes custom boards, so you can ask for a wavier rockerline that emphasizes turning over speed.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
I think pearling is an operator error issue ... life is short, ride what works for ya.

One of my early tests for any board I'm testing or have bought is to strap on all my armor, rig too big, screw up my courage, sheet in, sail over my head, and see whether the damn thing's going to hurt me ... whether our overall control limits are due to my or the board's shortcomings.

If the latter, the solution is simple: set the board aside and try something else. I don't want a board I don't trust. Pearl once (at high speed); shame on the board. Pearl twice; shame on me.

If the former, more testing is in order to determine whether it does what I want it to do and more, so I can advance my skills without hitting a wall defined by the board rather than my own potential. Boards on which I can scare the crap out of myself yet never find the board's limits are my keepers. They promote quick skill advancements.

That trumps physics all to hell.
westender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Brian first came to the Gorge, his boards were in the Sailboards Warehouse catalog and we were like,, who's this guy?? I considered Pearling a feather in your cap. It meant you were on such an awesome swell,, you couldn't handle it and stuffed the nose. Good times!! Ride old school! Cool
WMP

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
It meant you were on such an awesome swell,, you couldn't handle it and stuffed the nose. Good times!! Ride old school! Cool

Only problem is when you use a really powerful cambered sail and the board suddenly stops and flings you OTHB. It's a bit like being between two super powers and each is trying to jerk you into a different direction. Great for loops maybe. 2007 at The Wall, I managed to destroy two sails in just one week because of OTHB. Problem was solved as soon as I removed the thrusters in that same year... no more OTHB ever since. Went back and forth once and decided that thrusters were just not my thang and never used 'em again. Next board Brian made for me in 2012 I asked for no slots for thrusters, thank you.

Don't know the smarts behind thrusters, I'm just sharing my exxxperience mon. Single fin simply works for me, that's a fact.... I'm a happy camper now.

Last edited by WMP on Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
westender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed My first OO pearling experience had nothing to do with thrusters. Brian didn't offer them till years later. Sometime before or after you had to have a board with a flip tip to avoid pearling. Which Brian would never do.
WMP

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow I always think of the wicked witch when I think of pearling.... like the wicked witch is throwing a spell at me.....

"Pearling, pearling, p-e-a-r-l-i-n-g will bring him down"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnMa652dZ5E

Then tow-tow comes to mind and makes everything all better.

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: