myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
thruster fin physics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamD0g

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: North Pacific Tri Fins are great Reply with quote

I am not the worlds boldest windsurfer and as such am very gear sensitive. I have tried OO boards and compared to North Pacific they are clunky and more difficult to sail. I feel very confident in 2.8 conditions on my North Pacific 7'8' board. The shape and the tri fin makes windsurfing really feel like surfing with wind power. I can sail strapless and ride waves in high wind and have fun and feel safe.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: North Pacific Tri Fins are great Reply with quote

SamD0g wrote:
I am not the worlds boldest windsurfer ... I can sail strapless and ride waves in high wind and have fun and feel safe.

I'd say it's just the opposite.

We're more in control, thus safer, IN the straps. I had to sail strapless throughout 2014 due to knee surgery, and I was MUCH less in control all season. THAT was bold, and led to more falls and launches, once it got windy. I felt, and absolutely was, SO much more in control when I got back in the straps.

Besides, WSing in the straps is arguably a whole different sport than out of both straps when any significant wind and terrain are involved. I hope you've done both at a high level, so your choice is an informed one rather than one based on some imagined fear of the unknown. If the latter, I also hope that someday you get in the straps and find out what that's all about. It really is a whole new sport, especially if by "waves" you mean waves, or at least swell, rather than just chop.
SamD0g

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's purling. Like in knitting. The over the top stitch is knitting. Going under is purling.
SamD0g

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And do try North Pacific tri fin boards. OO are hard to sail. The small ones don't plane up too well. The larger ones are like riding a log. And then there is the purling.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I thought "pearling" implied "diving for pearls".
Oops ... here's confirmation:
http://www.surfscience.com/topics/surfing-tips/beginner-tips/catch-a-wave-without-a-nosedive-wipe-out
With the word "science" in the URL, it must be correct, no?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"ve ridden both, they're both good rides, but the new OO shapes
are still sweet in wound up condition, carry a wider range of sails,
(than the old OOs), don't seem to pearl much ( with me at the helm),
And are seriously surfy, without being twitchy.
Frankly, I don't think you could go wrong with either board, but the North
Pacifics are pricey for what you get.

-Craig

SamD0g wrote:
And do try North Pacific tri fin boards. OO are hard to sail. The small ones don't plane up too well. The larger ones are like riding a log. And then there is the purling.
kmf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what SamDog's problem is....but I like my OO just fine, and it is a small one. Of course SamDog is entitled to his opinion but it is just that, an opinion,
Nothing more.

Keith
westender

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer gets good guys in his state of the art facility. If you find something that suits your style, I would do that.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: thruster fin physics Reply with quote

surfersteve wrote:
I remain intrigued about the physics behind thruster fins. Over the past few years I have told that thrusters do all of the following: 1) make a board looser, 2) provide extra grip, 3) increase lift because of more total fin area, and 4) affect the pressure on the center fin and its drive. It seems hard to believe all of these things are true. Any physicists out there who wish to pontificate?

Pedants might cringe by mixing terms of art, but lets divide 3-fin boards into two categories: thrusters and tri fin.

Thrusters would be defined as three small fins, including a small center fin.

In contrast, tri fin boards use side fins with a fairly normally sized center fin.

A pure thruster is comparatively slow in a straight line but needs to be on its rails or transitioning to really show a performance advantage over a single fin board. This design concept is evidenced in many thrusters by the use of asymmetrical side fins and/or side fins with "toe in" where the fins are not parallel but point slightly inboard. The toe in helps drive the tail through the turn and aligns better with the water flow when turning. The water then accelerates between the center and side fin, increasing power in the tail. That's the idea anyway.

Most windsurfers do not use a pure thruster setup but a bit of a hybrid in the tri fin setup. The larger center fin allows the board to track much better while the side fins allow additional lift in the turns -especially on boards with a lot of tail V. Few tri fin windsurfing boards use asymmetrical side fins; most use parallel side fins.

While the entire list of performance traits certainly appear counterintuitive, nearly every aspect is true except for No.3. It's not the added area that increases lift but how the fins and board design work together compared to a different setup.

dllee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is very little physics in tri fins for windsurfers, since most tri's are set straight and are smaller than the main fins.
Now, 3 EQUAL sized fins, outside fins canted inwards, there is some thought and physics involved to assist sharp turning on a wave face.
One main fin, and two tiny side fins, is just MORE fin area ,more drag, less speed, and less spinout.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: