myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Spots around Boston

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pi-air

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Spots around Boston Reply with quote

Hello,
I moved to Boston, Somerville to be precise, last winter and bought some windsurfing gear earlier this summer. I went to Kalmus a couple times, it was absolutely great, but now fall is here, the winds are changing and I don't really know where to go. FYI, I'm still learning how to planning-jibe; to give you an idea of my level.
What spots do you recommend, especially for fall weather? Are there weather patterns I should pay attention to? Do you think this following website is still accurate ?
http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/users/rweiss/MA_windsurfing_info.html

Also, I keep seeing people talking about sharks on the cape and I don't really know what to think about it. I learned how to windsurf in Brittany, France. No sharks there. Now I have sharks in the summer and icebergs in the winter... sigh...

Thanks!
-Pierre
DavidAC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Spots around Boston? Reply with quote

Pierre,

Boston has many choices for sailing spots. Most of what is on the web site you listed is obsolete, particularly regarding shops (there are none) although some of the weather sites are still good. However, you can look up spots on iwindsurf to get good local information on different sites.

Fall is a windy season in Boston, but the water is much colder than Cape Cod, and the days are shorter, so you need a good wet or dry suit. On S-SE-SW days, people sail in Pleasure Bay (very flat water) or in Boston Harbor just south of the Bay. On N-NW days, Nahant and Squantum (a different Boston Harbor launch) are good. E-NE days are good in Revere, where you get some nice wave action, and if the winds are strong, Pleasure Bay is also another choice.

There are other choices, depending on equipment and skill level as well as what you enjoy. Given what you describe in your post (learning a planing jibe (may take long...)), my strongest recommendation would be Pleasure Bay on the right winds: flat water and reasonable winds, very good free parking and OK rigging areas close to the waterline.

-David
npiankov

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleasure Bay for sure. Works in basically every wind direction, West is the trickiest (quite gusty, Squantum could be better on those days). That's where you'd expect to find the most windsurfers around here, myself and Dave included. Nahant is great for waves, but requires somewhat advanced skills, quick waterstart etc.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We see a lot of NE and NW wind in the fall. My favorite spot for NE is Duxbury Bay. For NW wind, Skaket Beach in Orleans on the Cape has the best fetch. Both spots are tide dependent, with 8-12 foot tides. Duxbury needs 1-2 feet of water, so it sometimes can be sailed through low tide; Skaket works best between 2 hours before and after high tide. It is sailable at low tide, but you have a 1/2 mile walk to or from the water, just like Chapin (also great in N-NE). The iWindsurf wind meter for Skaket is Hatch Beach, and can read a few miles high in some directions. The drive to both Chapin and Skaket is about 30 minutes longer than to Kalmus; Duxbury is 30 minutes closer to Boston.
Pi-air

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, thank you so much!
I didn't know that the spots super close to Bosotn were popular. I might give Pleasure bay a shot very soon. Or Revere, I'll see.
I also thought there was a craft launching restriction but I might be wrong

Anyway, if you see someone struggling with a green 5.5 Chinook sail, you know who it is Smile

Thanks again!
-Pierre
DelmarEdward

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what would be the best exit off of 93 south to use for pleasure bay, and where is the best place to park?

is the parking free?
Pi-air

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Edward,
I just went there today, and it was great ! Wind was good, even though not enough for my small 5.5. There were half a dozen of windsurfers on the water, a good soul gave me a water start lesson. Good times Smile
Good news is that parking is free and super convenient. It's right by the beach/launching area. You have two parking lots, one south that has limited capacity and another that covers the whole northern part of the bay. The big parking lot near Castle Island is not convenient for launching. Note that you cannot park overnight, between 10pm and 7am.
DelmarEdward

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info Pi-air, may try there instead of going all the way to kalmus on the cape.
Rachel.h.harrigan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in similar position in terms of moving to Boston and looking for good windsurfing spots. Great advice here, thanks. I also found the community boating club on Charles River. They have windsurfing gear, on the larger side for short boards and it was squally on the windy day I visited but convenient. There is instruction but more tailored for beginners. Offers yearly and monthly membership. Also kayaks, dinghies for those non windy days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: