myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I've had ENOUGH! Is this the best light-wind kit??
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghost1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:42 am    Post subject: I've had ENOUGH! Is this the best light-wind kit?? Reply with quote

Right now my biggest sail and board combo is JP X-cite 125L and NP Fusion 6.7. If I get 15knots then I'm planing. But many days where I live the wind is shy of that - 10-12kts.

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and buying the following. Is this my best choice for those conditions? What is the minimum wind I could expect to plane in, considering I am efficient and can pump.

Ezzy Lions 9.5
JP Super Light Wind FWS
Ezzy Carbon Mast
Carbon Boom

Thanks guys,
Ghost 1
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: I've had ENOUGH! Is this the best light-wind kit?? Reply with quote

You didn't specify a weight, but I'm guessing 12MPH, so, right in the range you seem to get the most. I have a rig similar to what you suggest for Utah
sailing, and it is
a lot of fun to be planing around while the rest of the sailors (and even the Kiters) drink on the
beach, but it is also an expensive, and very specific set of gear.

-Craig

ghost1 wrote:
Right now my biggest sail and board combo is JP X-cite 125L and NP Fusion 6.7. If I get 15knots then I'm planing. But many days where I live the wind is shy of that - 10-12kts.

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and buying the following. Is this my best choice for those conditions? What is the minimum wind I could expect to plane in, considering I am efficient and can pump.

Ezzy Lions 9.5
JP Super Light Wind FWS
Ezzy Carbon Mast
Carbon Boom

Thanks guys,
Ghost 1

Last edited by cgoudie1 on Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since you are in Burlington ...
here's a board that will do the job at a reasonable price
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-water-sport/st-catharines/bic-formula-tecchno-windsurfing-board/1101684013?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
BIC Techno Formula that comes with a 70 cm tuttle box fin
I had one like that with the trimm box and it was a great board and even worked for teaching ...
put a 9.x to 10.0 sail on that and you will plane
even with my 100+ kilos/220 pounds it planed earlier than anything
assume you are about 175 pounds/80 kilos if you plane at 15 knots with 6.7 sail
with a 9.0 sail at that weight you will plane in 12 knots
here is a sample of my carcass on the board in exactly 12 to 13 knots
(not in straps and not trimmed sail though = my bad technique)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3wvpgq0pyY

any lighter wind and i am on my Mistral Equipe longboard !!
btw did replace the BTF with a JP SLW92 ...
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, how the BTW and the SLW compare?

Ghost,

I have the Ezzy Lion 9.5 with the Ezzy mast and I love it. It can plane early, but I bought it mostly to get stability on a large range of winds. My Kona board is not an early planer. I also use the mast in my 7.5, so it's used a lot. Same thing with my boom. I went non-carbon, with a V-Grip and pleased with it, even if I can guess a carbon boom might be nicer. Weight is not an issue, I can waterstart the rig no problem. If the wind is not strong enough to hold the sail with myself hooked in, I'll switch to a smaller sail.

I was in your area a few times (never sailed tough) and the wind seems quite stable. A large board is then a great choice since it will keep you planing a lot. Here in Montreal, the wind is always gusty and I prefer a longboard when I am going to spend my time going on and off plane.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic of lite wind, huge sail and board has been addressed many times.
Here is my take. Giant gear is not worth the effort. At 12 mph depending on your weight and skill level it may or may not get you up to speed. Your gear should be carbon everything to maybe have a chance of going. That will be a huge cost for that chance. There are a lot of ways to have fun windsurfing. Lugging that kind of gear is not one of them. Save that money and go no a windy vacation. Get a lite wind SUP
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-12 KNOTS the OP states.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soon to be out exocet RS 8
Spec's 90 cm wide, 260 cm long.

should plane in hummingbird fart http://www.exocet-original.com/rs.php

if money is not object

http://www.exocet-original.com/rs380-elite.php

long board match up 9.5 dagger. designed by a florida sailor. want low wind horse power? that's what we need in florida.

http://www.aerotechsails.com/dagger.html

pound for pound light wind pump more your bag? 9.0 freespeed.

http://www.aerotechsails.com/freespeed.html

i helped test in april 2011. star board's isonics crushed the jp ulw in cornering. you may wish to explore beyond even the sb?????

money is part of every choice, to some degree

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am down in Buffalo, NY.

I weigh 210. I have had one of the first Formula boards since around 2001; it is 270 x 85. I use an old Neil Pryde V8 8.5 on it; that combo gets me going in 13 - 14. It worked even better 14 years ago when I weighed 175!

I might replace the 8.5 V8 with a Retro 9.0, to reduce the camber hassle. But, I must say, the old V8 has a lot of low end grunt if rigged full.

When it gets too windy for that, I go to a Firemove 122 with either a 7.5 Lion or a 6.5 Cheetah. I also have a Zephyr 7.5 which I use on either the Formula board or the Firemove.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Your gear should be carbon everything to maybe have a chance of going. That will be a huge cost for that chance.

A good used jet ski would be cheaper, will plane every time, will jump higher, will turn sharper, will have a higher resale value, is much easier to rig and operate, and makes a much better rescue vehicle.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that Doug Curtis at Curtis Sport Connection has a used old Formula board like mine for $795.

That might be something to consider.

Full disclaimer: Doug is an old friend who has been selling me windsurf equipment since the 1990's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: