myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I've had ENOUGH! Is this the best light-wind kit??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
the Phantom 377 may have a "soft deck" issue.

Won't padding the deck mitigate that problem significantly? It sure has on my wave/B&J boards, including some that are notorious for decks going soft.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carb ONE by Kona One http://www.konaone.com/the-boards/kona-carbone/

Same shape at Kona One, but carbon build, mast track and big, carbon centerboard. The Carb ONE really illustrates the performance offered by the Kona One shape when juiced up.

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Dan, it's back at the top of my list as a keep for life ( what's left of it) longboard, after concerns about Phantom structural integrity. You have your 'finger on the pulse' with regard to Kona usage. How has the Carbone measured up durability wise in comparison with the standard durable Kona !?

I would accept that it would need a little more care in use, but it's been out now for quite a while, so have any known issues shown up at all?

(Thanks in advance.)
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
why do Starboard not make a more durable recreational build of this 'great' longboard, which we 'hysterical' enthusiasts for those old, but now creaking at their 20+ year old seams, gems of life enhancing experiences still treasure?

Surely, there must be a market for this now great performing longboard , provided we devotees could be sure it had been built to last?

Why not, Starboard? You have a good design, just beef it up and sell that version to the 'old' recreational market! Not everyone wants to S.U.P.! Wink

Why not?

Maybe because very few windsurfers actually sail longboards. There are quite a few outspoken longboard fans on the forum here. But whenever I am at Kalmus on a day where the wind prediction was good, but the wind did not come, I see 20 windsurfers on shore "waiting for wind"; one or two light wind freestylers on small freestyle boards or sailable SUPs or Bic Novas; maybe one Serenity; and maybe one longboard (mine, if I don't do freestyle).

Or maybe not. Such considerations don't seem to matter for Starboard - they have 24 different boards listed on their web site, most of them available in different sizes - probably about 100 different boards.

Or maybe one needs to have a closer look at the other boards Starboard offers. There's the Rio Longtail - 333 cm long, daggerboard, 3/4 EVA deck, daggerboard. At 89 cm, it is wide enough for beginners, but perhaps too wide for a really nice glide.

Then there are the WindSUP inflatables, anything from 9' x 30" to 11'2" x 40" to 12'6" x 31". The form and length of the longer boards promises a really nice glide, comparable to longboards. Prices are around $1,600, about half the price of a CarbOne or RS 380. I just sailed an inflatable SUP (from a different brand) for the first time recently, and had a lot of fun. No worries about getting in into your car or van, either! My Nissan NV 2500 high roof really does not like anything longer than 11'6" on the inside. And putting a longboard up onto the high roof when it's windy sure is interesting.

If I'd be in the market for a new longboard, the inflatables would be on top of my list. Can't quite justify it, though - the old Mistral Pandera is still lots of fun.

Lewis Bay Longboard Cruising.jpeg
 Description:
GPS tracks from cruising in Lewis Bay in 10-12 mph offshore wind (gusting to 18).
 Filesize:  118.1 KB
 Viewed:  11693 Time(s)

Lewis Bay Longboard Cruising.jpeg

brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now planing in the foot straps starting at 9.55 knots on my Exocet WindSUP 10' with an Ezzy Cheetah 7.5, Chinook 200 Carbon Boom, my weight is 160 lbs.

Previously on my 130l step tail Freeride board I needed 11.73 knots to plane.

If it is lower than the 9.55 knots I still go out and have fun on a fast glide but do not get in the foot straps.

It is great for catching waves, and the top end is faster than my 130l Freeride board too. It is amazingly fast and easy to control.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9.55? 11.73? This is the wind speed? or the speed you are going on your GPS device?
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
9.55? 11.73? This is the wind speed? or the speed you are going on your GPS device?

Yes. That's a very good question BB.

From the way it's written... and thinking about "reality"... it must be his GPS board speed.
As a few of us are always saying - In marginal wind conditions "sailor weight" is critical. And it's why, in most these posts, we should include our body weight (approx. whatever).
He's only 160#... so I suppose, if that 10' Exocet is a very light board... and he can get it going 9.55 knots = 11mph... he could possibly get in the straps.
I have a 1993 F2 Lightning raceboard (249L), I'm 200#... as soon as I can get it going 12 mph... it's planing. I'm not in the footstraps, cause I can't get my weight back quite that far. But my feet are close to them, and I'm totally hanging from the boom. And the centerboard will be fully down, and the board is planning = the sides are dry, only the bottom of the board is touching the water. I'm in steady 12-15 mph wind and using a 10.5M sail.
In the same wind, with the same sail, on my formula board... I'm also planning. And on that board I'd be in the straps, and going approx. 18 mph.

Anyway, I'm surprised he's getting that going, with only a 7.5M sail... perhaps he's a pro (I'm not).
Anyway, being very light weight is a huge advantage in getting planing, in marginal wind.
Greg Smile
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy, that is the speed of the wind. No idea on my speed, I don't have a GPS.

Greg, I am not a pro LOL. I believe it is a combination of my light weight, the board, the large carbon boom that prevents the sail from touching the boom, and a good Ezzy sail rigged right.

I know the large carbon boom is playing a role because prior to the boom my minimum wind speed was not that low, perhaps around 12.5 mph or so.

I also know weight plays a big factor. At one point I gained 10 lbs., and I could tell the difference on my 130l board in terms of getting on a plane. It was definitely harder and required more wind.

Also, the water can't be too choppy to get on a plane at that wind speed.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand how you can judge or measure the wind that finitely, wind is variable, up and down at least a few knots, changing by the moment.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy, that is the minimum.

For example, I go out and I am planing all the time. I come back and I look at the wind on iwindsurf. Many times it was 11 mph average. I notice it did not drop below that. Some times it is higher, but never less than 11 mph average. As I was always planing, my assumption is I can plane in 11 mph wind. When it spikes higher, I go faster, but as long as I am in the foot straps I consider myself planing.

Other times I go out and perhaps I am on and off the plane. I notice it varied between 10 mph to 12 mph average, so I know at 10 mph average I was probably off a plane, and at 11 to 12 mph I was planing.

I also have days where it never goes above 10 mph, and I am never on a plane, only fast gliding, so that is how I determine my minimum planing speed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: