myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looking for some gear advice on 2nd board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wind_serf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Looking for some gear advice on 2nd board Reply with quote

I'm new to the sport and looking for some gear advice..

This summer I got a complete HiFly Magnum with a 5.5m sail used for about $200. It has been great for learning, but I feel that I'm ready to move on soon. I think it's about 175L. I'd say I'm approaching intermediate level, can tack/jibe etc but still learning.

I weight about 140 lbs and live in the Seattle area, where this is often light winds (5-8 knots). I've mostly been going out on lakes with little wave action, but sometimes out on the sound where there is a little more chop. I also have a friend in Hood River and will probably be road tripping down there a bit next summer.

So I guess I'm looking for a setup that would allow me to get out on those common light wind days we have in the PNW, but also occasionally take down to Hood River which typically has higher winds.

From what I've read, the wider formula style boards with a larger rig are good performers in light winds. I'm lucky to have a wide variety of used gear to choose from in the area. One board I was considering was a used Bic Techno, or something similar.. any thoughts?

Thanks!
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bic Techno 283 is a good board with a wide wind and sail range. Might work for you well.
rhorton1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a dedicated group of windsurfers in the Seattle area.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/NW-WINDTALK/conversations/messages

I'd suggest chatting with them. Formula sailing in light winds is a large investment with oftentimes frustrating results. A longboard or raceboard would be your best bet in really light winds.. maybe even a sailable sup!

Also, finding a board for Seattle and the Gorge will be tough. I would suggesting spending most of your budget on finding light-er wind gear for the Seattle area and spending your last $100 on a complete Gorge specific board/sail/rig from one of the CGWA swap meets.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before adding another board, add larger rigs.
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go the formula way unless you are at LEAST an advanced intermediate. It's a big investment and they can work well with giant, expensive rigs. Slogging is no fun, so you need enough wind, and a big enough sail to get planing. For me at 168 lbs, it's an 11.0 sail in 10-12 mph winds with a lot of pumping. 12-14 winds for my 9.2 sail and pumping.

The Techno 183 is a great all around board. I raced one for a few years with sails from 6.0 to 9.2. One short coming - the nose will break off if you slam the mast into it. The board is pretty big in winds over 20 mph, unless it's flat water.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhorton1 wrote:
There's a dedicated group of windsurfers in the Seattle area.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/NW-WINDTALK/conversations/messages

I'd suggest chatting with them. Formula sailing in light winds is a large investment with oftentimes frustrating results. A longboard or raceboard would be your best bet in really light winds.. maybe even a sailable sup!

Also, finding a board for Seattle and the Gorge will be tough. I would suggesting spending most of your budget on finding light-er wind gear for the Seattle area and spending your last $100 on a complete Gorge specific board/sail/rig from one of the CGWA swap meets.

Yes, exactly right !!
Come and find us on NW-windtalk... and we'll get you all fixed up.
I also agree with the part about... keep the HiFLy for light wind sailing... but get a 7M or so, to add to your 5.5. After you're all dialed in and sailing all skills well, going all directions with the 7M. Then get a 9M... and then you can have a lot of fun and come and do some casual sport fleet racing with us.
Contact me in Seattle... I can point you to inexpensive gear... and will be happy to give tips and free coaching... or can set you up with official intermediate lessons if you want.

After you're competent at all the local light and marginal wind sailing. Then go to the Gorge... and take a lesson... and rent gear. Do that a couple times. You will pick it up quickly, if you've spent enough time sailing the lighter stuff. Then you can buy nice shortboard gear in the Gorge... or in Seattle... there's lots to choose from (after you know what to look for).
Greg Smile
wind_serf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips all!

I'm probably just going to ride out the winter on my current setup, maybe get a larger rig like suggested.. then hit the swap meets in the spring. And I'll definitely get on that local NW forum. we had some solid wind last weekend which was a good reminder I still have some learning to do on what I have now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: