myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Vacation Rental Ban in Hood River?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katosandog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurent:

I have never met you, but I see a very successful individual that parlayed opportunity into an excellent life in one of the best towns I or anyone else have ever visited. I don't begrudge you that for even one second; in fact I admire it.

What if I am not established in Hood River, and wanted to follow a path like Laurent Picard has? What if a key part of that ambition was generating income from the home that I purchased, and that when I bought my home, the ability to do so from STR was encouraged by the real estate industry? How ironic it is that I now stand before you, and you dare deem my ambition a path that I cannot pursue. That's the hypocrisy of it.

You are not being attacked; you are being ridiculed, somewhat unjustly, but not completely so. Perhaps you should consider recusing yourself from the decision making process. The cynical argument is that you have no problem being the last one through the gate and slamming it in my face.
TBird

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The City Council did NOT come "very close on Monday night to an outright ban on non-owner occupied short-term rentals," archbald. That's quite an inaccurate report of what actually happened at the meeting. The Council mostly listened to public input, and began what will be a lengthy discussion with plenty of more opportunities for parties to weigh in. So please quit fanning the flames. We have plenty of realtors and rental companies in town already doing that.

It's clear some people enjoy vacationing in short-term rentals. It's also clear to me that some folks are very vocal about this issue for one reason: they're making s#$@tloads of money at it. As a resident, I don't find that to be a very compelling argument. And I commend our City Council for exploring the issue and trying to find the best solution for the long-term health of our city.

At least have the courtesy (katosandog, etc.) to lay off the name-calling and insults. The members of our City Council are donating hundreds of hours of their personal time to help govern this city. The residents of Hood River voted them into office, not you. I, for one, respect the work they do. They're dealing with some complex issues that go beyond the fact that you like to hang out here. Discussing ideas is great (eg, beaglebuddy's thoughts about property taxes), but hurling insults really doesn't advance the discussion.
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find it interesting when people who do NOT reside in a place feel the need to comment on how that place should be run.....
hoodvista

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it interesting that that right when the big new Naito hotel starts getting built all of a sudden there is a push to ban their competition, I mean short term rentals. Coincidence?
katosandog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
I always find it interesting when people who do NOT reside in a place feel the need to comment on how that place should be run.....

That's a fair statement, and one we keep in mind in every facet of visiting your town. We try to be good neighbors where we rent, we treat homeowners property like it's ours, and we make every attempt to shop local. But I get what you are saying.

After the 2008 downturn we seriously considered buying a property in Hood River, and we would have most definitely have needed rental income to make it work, and that would be even more important today. EVERY real estate agent we met with pushed the STR model and hauled out tons of supporting documentation. I have a great deal of empathy for both sides of the debate, and I am relieved that I'm not standing in front of council pleading with them to protect my investment, as it appears many are.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:

I think it is entirely appropriate for full-time residents, part-time residents, and even visitors to weigh in on this topic as outcomes have potential effect on all.

johnl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CUSalin wrote:
johnl wrote:

I think it is entirely appropriate for full-time residents, part-time residents, and even visitors to weigh in on this topic as outcomes have potential effect on all.

Totally dissagree. Windsurfing, kiteboarding etc are SPORTS nothing more. Hood River is facing the same problem many ski resort towns have faced. Once it becomes popular the rich start buying up the properties and drive up the prices. Then to offset the cost they do short term rentals. This makes the lifes of the people who actually choose to live and work there unaffordable.

I don't tell Portland, LA, or any other city how they should run THEIR city and I don't think it is appropriate to others to say how Hood River should run theirs...
CUSalin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
CUSalin wrote:
johnl wrote:

Totally dissagree. Windsurfing, kiteboarding etc are SPORTS nothing more. Hood River is facing the same problem many ski resort towns have faced. Once it becomes popular the rich start buying up the properties and drive up the prices. Then to offset the cost they do short term rentals. This makes the lifes of the people who actually choose to live and work there unaffordable.

I don't tell Portland, LA, or any other city how they should run THEIR city and I don't think it is appropriate to others to say how Hood River should run theirs...

=======================================

Well..., SPORTS aside... and for many additional reasons, Hood River has become, and will continue to be, a desirable place to live and visit..., and according to the laws of supply & demand lands and dwellings will in increase is value. It's no different than anywhere else which has a higher degree of demand than it does supply..., and the first to the trough will reap the highest rewards. As you state, similar circumstances have occurred in other communities. We can learn from those communities and how they've managed STRs positively and negatively.

I don't think Hood River's City Council will be prioritizing requests from those who don't live here. At the same time, they'd be remiss to ignore thoughts from tax paying property owners who are part-time residents, local residents who earn their living from visitors, and visitors themselves who support local businesses.

So far, my observation has been that the loudest opposition to STR governance has been from local real estate owners and speculators, not out-of-towners.

TBird

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am relieved that I'm not standing in front of council pleading with them to protect my investment, as it appears many are

And that is precisely the problem. You look at it as an investment. We look at it as our home. Vacation rentals not only reduce our city's housing inventory for those who wish to LIVE here, they adversely affect our neighborhoods. Would you want to share your block with an ever-changing group of vacationers and wedding guests? Didn't think so.

Anyone who bought an investment property here—yesterday or 10 years ago—is sitting pretty. They can sell it tomorrow for a profit, they can turn it into a sorely-needed long-term rental (and still make a very nice income) or they can enjoy it themselves in their free time.

And as for an investor who feels they must rent out a property as a short-term rental to make the mortgage payments...well, that's called gambling. So absolutely, I think our City Council should be more concerned about its residents than freewheeling real-estate investors.

[/quote]
CUSalin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBird wrote:
Quote:
I am relieved that I'm not standing in front of council pleading with them to protect my investment, as it appears many are

And that is precisely the problem. You look at it as an investment. We look at it as our home. Vacation rentals not only reduce our city's housing inventory for those who wish to LIVE here, they adversely affect our neighborhoods. Would you want to share your block with an ever-changing group of vacationers and wedding guests? Didn't think so.

Anyone who bought an investment property here—yesterday or 10 years ago—is sitting pretty. They can sell it tomorrow for a profit, they can turn it into a sorely-needed long-term rental (and still make a very nice income) or they can enjoy it themselves in their free time.

And as for an investor who feels they must rent out a property as a short-term rental to make the mortgage payments...well, that's called gambling. So absolutely, I think our City Council should be more concerned about its residents than freewheeling real-estate investors.

[/quote]
===================================

T-bird... Agreed, and I encourage the same. The proliferation of STRs needs to be addressed and their growth governed as to not adversely affect the livability of HR. I think this is largely achievable as it has been in other places, but not by shoving aside any one constituency or become overly parochial.

FWIW - I'm still not convinced that most STRs are owned by free-wheeling out-of-town investors trying to tell our local gov't what to do, but rather by full and part-time residence that deserve a seat at the table in crafting a solution. Hopefully they can participate in a way that is not so obviously self-serving.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: