myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
fin question/observation exocet windsup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outhaul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: fin question/observation exocet windsup Reply with quote

The stock fin on the 11'8 is 44cm which I've found to be a decent all-around length. Yesterday I tried a new Makani 49cm freeride fin in about 17 mph winds and 3-4' swell with an 8.5m sail.
As one would expect the board felt less maneuverable but seemed a bit earlier to plane and able to point higher than the stock fin.
I then switched to a used but mint 35cm JP Carve fin that I picked up on E-Bay.
To my surprise the 35cm seemed faster, or at least as fast, pleasingly loose and able to point as high as the 49cm.
I know there's many variables at work here but why did the 35cm perform so well? Should I be surprised?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without supporting numbers, GPS...
The seems speed could be wrong. Is this a board that speed is desire Able?

Just a guess, the Standard fin may be large, the Makani even more and the JP
Just right. Just a guess.......

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

length in a fin is only ONE factor of MANY
thickness of fin may affect speed
the chord (or length front to back) affects fin as well
there are VERY short weed fins with HUGE chords that work with large sails
Hatteras is known to push people to such fins
however, as a BIG guy on big boards, I still prefer long slalom fins ....
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I understand it, the smaller fin you use, the faster you go on a beam reach. (Provided you manage to plane and not spin-out).

My experience is with a K1 board, with 46 and 40 fins (same model as yours, they are similar to MFC Liquid Pro) and with 28 On-shore wave. As you go down in size, you can feel that the fin provides less resistance in water, allowing you to go faster. You also get a looser board that doesn't hit the chop as hard, reducing the braking effect from the chop.

I find strange however that the 35 points as high as the 49. This is opposite to my experience. Maybe I have yet to use a fin too big for the situation? If I stick to the bigger is better theory, here are possible reasons why you didn't see this:

-Size. As Joe pointed out, chord and area are also important. I estimate my 28 provide a lift similar to a 34 MFC LP. Your 35 could be equivalent to a 41 or more, so the fin can be close to your stock fin. Still the 49 should be better, unless it's design is quite different from the LP.

-Technique and setup. If you are well experienced in using small fins, it's possible that you are not exploiting the upwind capabilities of your longer fin. That's an art by itself that I have yet to master. Sometimes I go upwind on plane way better than others, sometimes not. I think the setup is critical.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If weed fins were involved here, I think the OP would have said.
Joe you bring up good points in that the length is just one aspect that effects the performance, area being another.

outhaul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comments about speed being similar with the 35cm was achieved on a beam to broad reach and the board did seem to be freer.
Although the wind sensor at my location didn't show a shift I did detect a slight offshore component creeping in to the previously side-onshore conditions.
Again, this was all very unscientific but the 35cm did perform well and I loved the looseness. It's not that the 49cm was disappointing but rather how the 35cm was surprisingly good.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fin size will matter most when you need every little bit of help to get onto a plane or upwind. In 17 mph on the 11'8 with an 8.5, you had plenty of power. In 17 mph, I can usually plane with a 6.5 and a 110 l FS board (but our wind meters may differ by a few miles, and you may weigh more than my 190 lb). I may need a 30 cm weed fin to get going in 16-17; if it's 20, I can go down to a 24 cm fin, without having to adjust my style much. And I'm using huge fins compare to the freestylers.

The big fins can be useful to get going in marginal conditions. But when you are powered, you may want to try even smaller fins. I use an 11 cm on my 10'6 SUP. With the two side fins that are about the same size, it works perfectly fine for light wind. It is a bit too small for planing, but I switch boards when I can plane, anyway.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outhaul wrote:
My comments about speed being similar with the 35cm was achieved on a beam to broad reach and the board did seem to be freer.
Although the wind sensor at my location didn't show a shift I did detect a slight offshore component creeping in to the previously side-onshore conditions.
Again, this was all very unscientific but the 35cm did perform well and I loved the looseness. It's not that the 49cm was disappointing but rather how the 35cm was surprisingly good.

Understood:

Using a basic fin to board formula, which gives a rider weight of 175, BUT TAKES INTO ACCOUNT the nothing else, like experience, board size, sea state.etc etc etc. SAIL SIZE 8.5 X5. (Always 5) = 42.5 plus 3 this case = 45.5cm long. The 44 being near this. RX if really powered up the size would go down, or lighter rider as well. This a guide, and may other things are a factor.

From 2 fin companies, a 35cm fin has 325cm2 of area ,average
A 49 fin has 443cm2 . A difference of 118 square cm, the 118cm is roughly equivalent to a fin of 14cm, which is the length difference between the 35 and 49 cm fins . Since you used fins that are probably not similar in shape this equation is prone to being off, course they may not be dis similar in shape.

Using the 44cm fin the difference would be less but not so much.

The 35cm should be faster, it has less area, it should be loose, but much more prone to spin out, and NOT so effective as the others upwind, it would be more likely for spin out. I assume that it has more of a wave curve that the others.

Without using the exact fins to obtain the area , thickness etc
This is just a guess.

It makes no sense to say that because my BIC SUP and me like K4s of 29 and 12 would suit a similar sail and board size, too many variables to may calls like such.

Bottom line, the 49 and 44 should perform similar, fin brand and shape, area
The 35 is much smaller in length, area should be less, much less..

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have caught tons waves with my 11'8"

The fin I like best for it is the kona 38 cm. Planes well, turns great on wave rides with wind below 15 mph. When surprised by upticks in winds beyond forecasts, & the wind is sideoff,I get an even smaller free ride fin @ 32-34 cm.

BTW, the stock fin is fabulous on a early planing large free ride to. I sailed mine to death in that mode. Priceless, all those after market fins, for earned $$$ or the molded stock fin for
the windsup that I found too large for the Intended board to use much anyway

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: