myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
An old schooler takes a ride on a new freemove board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhmark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I am another old school sailor, completely content on my 2002 Fanatic Cross 116 L 64 cm wide, usually sailing a 6.3 SuperFreak just down the beach from Northwestern U at Greenwood Beach. I have been hesitant to change because I find it hard to believe that these new designs (short wide thin) would do better in my conditions.

We have incredibly choppy waters on L Michigan on S and SW winds, sometimes huge 1/4 mile wind shadow on shore requiring occasional uphaul or swim in. I need that volume to uphaul at my age and balance, but I think those new boards would be too wide in chop. The Fanatic is smooth, reminds me of my old original Mistral Screamer, and if it is not a quick planer I think it is saving my knees. So to the OP, how do you think that board would behave at 20knots SW on Lake Michigan? dhmark
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look closely at the outline of a freemove board vs the fast freerides, you'd notice the actual tail with, OFO, are very close, while the tail behind the OFO is often narrower than the fast freeride, while the overall width is around 5-8cm wider.
When you plane, you ride from the front foot back, the rest "flying" above the water.
Actual water contact on a plane is about the same area, but distributed wider in front, narrower behind the backfoot. That makes similar control and performance thru chop.
Main advantage is completing planing jibes.
Main advantage of fast freeride is speed.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing is or should be all about having fun. If your having fun on the board your now using then keep on keepin on. I get a new low wind board every year. For 12 to 22 mph. Year to year, the changes are small or none.
When I have the chance to step on a board from back in the day, I ask my self how did I ever sail this thing. To me the lower wind boards have made huge gains in every department. High wind boards not as much. I have an old yellow Bic Saxo 84 liter that I dig out of the shed once in awhile when the wind is up. Its kind of funny looking but it still a joy to sail. Just a thought
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhmark wrote:
I need that volume to uphaul at my age and balance, but I think those new boards would be too wide in chop ... The Fanatic is smooth, reminds me of my old original Mistral Screamer, and if it is not a quick planer I think it is saving my knees.

Wider = bouncier, all other factors being equal. When the going gets rough, I reach for my older, narrower boards simply so I can SEE (Google oscillopsia). Their superior tracking, speed, and maneuverability at speed in the rough are icing on the cake. That's not just my opinion based on the 200 Gorge boards I've sailed; it also comes straight from the very analytical Boards Magazine. Those differences are enhanced at larger sizes, and your 115 liters is HUGE by my standards. If you buy something new, do yourself a favor and hang on to Old Faithful until you've ridden them both in all kinds of conditions and made an educated choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: