myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pluses and minuses - going from Firemove 122 to Rocket 125?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that. Wink
mark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rocket 115 is going to have a lot of overlap with the Firemove 122. I would go a bit smaller than 115 liters. At my weight of 190lbs I go from a 110 liter Firemove (6.0 and 7.4) to a 95 liter Fanatic free style wave (4.7-5.5). At your weight something a bit larger than 100 liters would probably be a better option. Maybe a Rocket 105, 3S106 or some other similar board. The smaller boards will work better with a 5.5. Even at your weight I would not want to be on a 5.5 with a Rocket 115 unless the wind is very holey and the water is quite smooth. In either of those cases you could most probably still be on your Firemove 122.
scargo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respectfully disagree with the point about substantial overlap. The 115 is only 64 cm wide, whereas the 122 is 79. That's a huge difference. The 122 will still give you low-wind performance, while the 115 will become your go-to board. Getting a 105 -- that's a fair point, but I sense that you don't like your 122 very much, and the 105 would obviously be an addition than a substitution. I think the 115 will become your board of choice, but you'll still ride the 122 (as well as your big formula board) once in a while, during which time you'll be plotting your next sub-100 move.
Or, as you say, doing something else when conditions get too gnarly on the big lake.
mark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real question is whether the original poster want to keep or replace his Firemove 122. Also keep his weight of 210 into consideration. As I said previously I have a Firemove 110 and a Fanatic 95 liter freewave and weigh 190. I also have an 85 liter RRD Freestyle wave. If I weighed 20 pounds more I would consider going a bit larger on the boards especially in gusty conditions.

At your 185 pounds the Rocket 145/115/95 combination makes sense as it would for me at 190 pounds. At his weight and the fact that he already owns the Formula, the Rocket 125 (or keep the RRD122) and a Rocket 105 or 3s 106 is most probably a better spread. Unless you want to have a 4 rather than a 3 board quiver.

I did have the opportunity to Ride a number of Tabou boards in Maui this past summer. The Rocket wide 108 felt very similar to my Firemove 110. I also rode the 3S boards in the 86, 96 and 116 sizes. The 3S 116 was an amazingly controllable board given the size. I sailed it with both a 5.5 and 6.0. I can see where someone at 210 pounds who only occasionally sails in high winds could have that for a small board particularly if the conditions are gusty. The 3S 106 for my weight would most probably been large enough (and maybe for the original poster) but there were none available to demo.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I have to admit that I was with you about having two boards so close together.

Yet, we need to recognize that the real difference is about wide and thin versus narrower and thicker. Certainly, that's a different discussion.

Personally, I like the idea of going with a lesser volume narrower board for a 5.5. Given that gvogelsang is a bigger guy, what's more comfortable in steady building wind? I like 95 to 100 liters in flatter conditions, and maybe 90-95 liters in rougher conditions. With the change, I can also see going from freeride to freewave.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep the 122 for the lite and gusty days. Add a Tabou 3S 106 for when the wind picks up and the water gets ruff. I ride the 96 3S and that board really smooth's out the ride. At your weight the 106 or the 96 should be what you need..Depends on wind and skill..
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments.

At my weight, I am thinking that a Rocket 125 and a 3S 106 makes a lot of sense. As would a quiver of 8.5 Lion, 6.5 Cheetah, and one more smaller sail - Elite or Tiger.

If I could lose 15 pounds, that might change. I have all winter to hit the gym.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm 170 lbs. 30 plus years on the water, 65 years old.. I now seek flat water and smooth riding boards. I have 2015 Rocket 115 ltd and 2014 3S 96 CED.
My largest sail is a 6.5 Cheetah, 5.5 Cheetah, 4.7 and 4.2 Tiger's.
I have sailed the Firemove 122 and race around with a friend that has one all the time. Same skill level and same sails. Also the guys at the lake have Rocket 125's.
If your are just learning foot straps and planning the 122 is not a bad choice. If your have some skills the Rocket would be a better choice. The Rocket is faster, planes just as soon with a pump or two and turns really good. It has a free lite feeling and goes to wind with speed. The Firemove is a passive planning board. The width both helps and hinders this board. Once on a plane it feels a bit sticky and wants to round up wind. It never frees up and rides the fin. I think the huge wide nose keeps it from lifting.
It goes thru lulls really good and turns good with a wide step onto the rail.
The major question is would the loss be worth the gain? If your Fire move works for you in lite and gusty flat water, keep it. Buy the 3S
My 3S is smooth fast and just fun to ride. I have used it with the 6.5 down to the 4.2 The sweet spot for me is 6.0 to 4.7 I have not tried the 106 but hear good things about it. Last thought. The 3S works great in the CED construction. No need to spend 400 extra bucks on the LTD. Stock fins sucks
scuppers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Gvogelsang & others here! I'm in a somewhat similar situation: 5'10" 177lbs lake sailor in Dayton Ohio in 12-20mph gusty/variable conditions on mostly flat water with occasional days where it hits 20-30 with 1-3ft chop/swell. I started windsurfing last year on a Viper: quickly outgrew it, bought a Firemove 122. My current skills are planing in the footstraps with harness, ok jibes/tacks, hell-tacks, beginning duck jibes, beach starts, limited water start skills but improving. I also have a Exocet WindSUP 11'8, which has become my go to board. Well, one day I took this WindSUP out in near 30mph winds on a very shallow lake - choppy with some rolling swell building too - I paired it with a 5.7 Severne Freek (my other sails are: 7.5 Cheetah, 6.0 Gator). My pals were on 80 & 90 liter boards with 4.7 -6.2 sails. My knees took a pounding to say the least. After this I started to think about a shorter but narrower board to help when tempting but choppy higher wind conditions come along, so I'm waiting for delivery of my used/rental 2014 Tabou Rocket 125 which should arrive Tuesday. My Firemove is alright, but I could use something a little narrower to help me transition my skills down to something like a 106 3s, which is what I think would make a great light chop/swell 25-30mph board. Whaddya think?
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TemperTantrum wrote:
Hey, Gvogelsang & others here! I'm in a somewhat similar situation: 5'10" 177lbs lake sailor in Dayton Ohio in 12-20mph gusty/variable conditions on mostly flat water with occasional days where it hits 20-30 with 1-3ft chop/swell. I started windsurfing last year on a Viper: quickly outgrew it, bought a Firemove 122. My current skills are planing in the footstraps with harness, ok jibes/tacks, hell-tacks, beginning duck jibes, beach starts, limited water start skills but improving. I also have a Exocet WindSUP 11'8, which has become my go to board. Well, one day I took this WindSUP out in near 30mph winds on a very shallow lake - choppy with some rolling swell building too - I paired it with a 5.7 Severne Freek (my other sails are: 7.5 Cheetah, 6.0 Gator). My pals were on 80 & 90 liter boards with 4.7 -6.2 sails. My knees took a pounding to say the least. After this I started to think about a shorter but narrower board to help when tempting but choppy higher wind conditions come along, so I'm waiting for delivery of my used/rental 2014 Tabou Rocket 125 which should arrive Tuesday. My Firemove is alright, but I could use something a little narrower to help me transition my skills down to something like a 106 3s, which is what I think would make a great light chop/swell 25-30mph board. Whaddya think?

At 177 lbs, I think that you should have gone for the Rocket 115.

When I was your weight (about 15 years ago), my favorite board was a F2 Ride which was 116 lts. It was perfect with a 6.5, and fine with a 5.5.

But, for sure in 25 - 30, a Tabou 3S 106 or even a 96 would be much better.

I think that the Rocket 125 will perform the same as your Firemove 122. IT will be a great board for the 7.5 Cheetah, and pretty good for the 6.0. As you bought it used, you can decide if you prefer it to the Firemove, or not. You may end up keeping one or the other.

If you find that the Rocket is better in stronger winds than the Firemove - let us know!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: