myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Let's Rethink the PWA Wave Tour??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rexi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
From videos and reports, Europeans by the thousands or tens of thousands will show up to watch any significant competition, including WSing. That's very rare in the U.S. except for big league ball games. I don't even know anyone who would go out of their way to watch a WSing race, and very few who would watch a world wave or freestyle event at their local beach. I used to love the days when the Hatchery was closed for world champion freestyle events; I'd drive in before dawn and have the lower Hatch to myself all day. I'd infinitely rather have my own fun than SOMA watching someone else have fun.

Yeah i hadnīt thought about it like that. I actually think this is a pretty simple way of thinking about this.

Windsurfing is still pretty big in Germany and there you have the biggest event Sylt. That event is actually much more then a ws event, more like a festival/party. Podersdorf event in Austria is the same, a huge party.

Klitmöller, well that spot is also very popular amongs german sailors on weekends with a good forecast. They simply drive over there. So for the world cup it would i would expect that then they also go there to WS and watch.

-so i think the PWA locations are in those exact spots because they are more likely to draw a crowd. At least itīs not for the conditions since there are many many spots in europe that have better conditions then Sylt for example.

How many spectators in tenerife and pozo compared to sylt? Both in Europe.

It is good to know that you go windsurfing instead of watching a competition. That is the same that i would do. But iīm in iceland and on the tectonic plate that lies in N america so perhaps that is the reason. Perhaps iīll move to the east of iceland and my interest in watching and all sorts of events will increase Smile

I know iīm giving you a bit of a hard time, donīt mean to be rude. I get that there is some cultural difference in this aspect but i think the way you present your argument and put all the nationalities within europe in the same category is quite simple.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rexi wrote:
I know iīm giving you a bit of a hard time, donīt mean to be rude. I get that there is some cultural difference in this aspect but i think the way you present your argument and put all the nationalities within europe in the same category is quite simple.

It was intended as a generalization, on both counts ... European and American.

And I didn't perceive any rudeness or "hard time", merely your observations. Nuthin' wrong with that; it's why we're here.
30knotwind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy the strategy of wave contests.

Here is yesterday's Maui event. Really impressive condiitons!
Competition starts at 2:06:00.
http://livestream.com/accounts/9351246/events/4459884

Maui_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.07 KB
 Viewed:  9720 Time(s)

Maui_1.jpg

keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the Beach master at the Aloha.
The events locations are determined by the available sponsors.
Sometimes, like Korea, the countries host events.
It is much easier to get sponsors for events like Sylt because they get more bang for the buck than in Maui where there is limited parking and fewer spectators.
Some events are no longer held just because of the limited parking and high permit costs. I think the AWT won't go back to Santa Cruz for those reasons.

The time we get to use the site is determined by the use permits, which are often hard to get and very expensive. I would have to check, but I think the Aloha costs more than $25K for a twelve day window at Hookipa.
Fewer riders doesn't save money because most costs for live cast ,permits, security, parking,etc. are fixed . They do not change if you have fewer sailors.
Fewer riders means less entry fee money.
Fewer riders, only well known sailors means young guns like Morgan Noireaux who won the last two Aloha events, would not qualify.
You have to welcome a lot of new sailors to find gold among them
Last year he was too young to drink the champagne( or wear it .lol)
Most of the PWA events are jumping contests, and they do hold both port and starboard tack events.
The Aloha usually is a wave riding contest with no jumps counted.
The PWA didn't come here for a few years because the cost is too great for many riders. The event in France conflicts .
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are thirty five countries represented by the sailors at the Aloha. It isn't possible to just call them to show up from all over the world when the wind and waves show up.
Housing is a problem and must be arranged in advance for most sailors.

Hawaii is actually the most remote place on earth. It is exactly on the other side of the planet from Europe. When it is 12 midnight here, it is 12 noon in Europe.
Sam Bittner is eager to hear new ideas at AWT and Rich with the PWA is always searching for ways to improve the events and hold more.
There is no establishment wanting to maintain the present system.
It is actually decided by those two people, and changes every year.
PWA for example, is considering opening up to Youth Events to expand the appeal, like AWT.
Please contact them with new ideas on their websites.
They will answer back and be glad to hear from you.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i spent two weeks in maui. wind was "below average" for those in maui. was reasonably windy for me. why? i used an SUP 11'02" board with a sail on it successfully 2 days in a row in large waves. had lowers nearly all to myself for 5.5 hours. had i brought my 11'5" PLANING long board, i would have missed zero days out of 14 instead of just one.

i did spend some time at lowers with 102 + liter boards with 6.2 + sized sails. i could pick any wave i wanted since the slog and bob crowd could rarely ever out position me for any wave, AND i just tried to mow over kiters that were getting pretty ballsy with their intrusions into our space. i did hoot to warn those that were in the way, and not aware of where i was coming from.

easiest solution to "lack of wind": said before, do not mind repeating planing long boards made to wave sail. http://www.exocet-original.com/xlongboard.php

check out my fb photo's: those aerials are back side off the lip schmacks

https://www.facebook.com/john.ingebritsen

http://www.epicgearusa.com/

Last edited by jingebritsen on Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, your facebook link isn't working.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strange

https://www.facebook.com/john.ingebritsen

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I'm getting.

"Sorry, this content isn't available right now

The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in."

Maybe it's due to the fact that I'm not a facebook member.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
i did hoot to warn those that were in the way

These can be a lot of fun ... a blast ... on the water. NOBODY expects them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: