myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
coming to hatteras late november
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfingsenorita

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: coming to hatteras late november Reply with quote

hello, my husband and I are coming to hatteras nov 19-24th. we will be driving from Atlanta, but we live in the Columbia Gorge and sail here. my husband is more of a wave sailor and I like freestyle but learning some waves.
can anyone comment on what to bring as far as wetsuits, hood, gloves?...etc.
looking for a room to rent too. we plan to rent gear.
thanks for any info!
christi
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there many times that time of year. The short answer is to bring everything. Temps can be 40-70+. wind 0-40+.

A good start for rental gear and the best local info, Andy at Wind-NC

Most of the Resturants on Hatteras Island are closed by then. More options for Motels and Resturants up in Nags Head. Good launch at Wind Mill Pt and Jockeys Ridge for Sound Side sailing in Nags Head.

Good Launches in Waves/Salvo and of course Canadian Hole in Avon.

Any of the shop owners will give you a good heads up on any local info.

Have fun
quigley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Hatteras Realty to rent a house on Island Creek. Nov. is off season so rents are cheap. You can be steps from the sound with an outdoor hot shower to warm up if needed !
Brian at Ocean Air or Andy at Wind NC can help with rentals and local info.
Some restaurants in Avon and Buxton will still be open, and there is also the Food Lion for breakfast and lunch food.
No crowds in Hatteras that time of year ! Enjoy!
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo Sea Dawg's comments. Air temps are likely to be in the 60s but could be warmer or cooler depending upon fronts. Would usually be wearing a 3/2 with no boots or gloves in late Nov. Andy will rent you gear and give you good advice. Roanoke Island is a good option if there is a windless day or if you want a day sailing in the Nags Head/ Jockey's Ridge area.
JessVirtual33

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carefull with "winter tides"....Tides are awfully high this time of year Shocked
foxwater

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year the weather seems to be staying warmer longer but that can change at any time. Right now the the airs is in the low 70s with the water temp in the upper 60s. The long range forecast looks for a gradual cooling down so it should still be fairly warm by the time you get here. I would come prepared for everything though as anyone who has ever been here can tell you conditions can change in a second. The season is starting to wind down for most tourist traffic so a lot of the restaurants are starting to shut down but there are a few that stay open til Thanksgiving. Hatteras Realty is a good option to check for places to stay as the offseason rates on rental houses can be pretty cheap. Lighthouse View motel is a good option if you are looking for a room or efficiency. We rent gear here at Fox Watersports - Ezzy Sails and JP boards but by that time of year we usually sell off most of our rental gear and our selection can be a little thin. Wind-NC and Ocean Air also rent gear but I'm sure they are selling off their rentals this time of year as well. I would suggest calling ahead a few days before you come to make sure the shop you choose has the gear you are looking for still available. Our website has great weather resources located all on the same page so a week or so prior to your trip you can get an idea about the possible conditions.

http://www.foxwatersports.com/hatteras_weather

Hopefully this info helps hope to see you in November

Freddy
surfingsenorita

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info we had some wind and Andy very helpful. Did anyone happen to find a women's tennis shoe at Canadian hole. Lost mine yesterday...will pay for return. Thanks:)
RonC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Lost Tennis Shoe Reply with quote

Was at the Hole yesterday and the day before. Didn't see alone tennis shoe but I will keep an eye out today.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nov 25. The day after Surfingsenorita left the OBX. 20 -25 NE today. 3/2 suit, no boots or gloves. Hope you caught some of the same with or without tennis shoes.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the "You shoulda been here Yesterday" thing.

I remember coming down on a Sat early Dec a few years ago and it blew in the 20's out of the SW for 5days straight. Temps in the low 70's Rash Guard, bathing suit and water shoes. One board,one sail for 5days.

Keeping and eye on the weather for a post Thanksgiving run down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: