myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Dark Boards.....Too Hot?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BEN! Very Happy Very Happy

It appears some of us are confusing pressure differences with heat, and it's effect on epoxy sailboards.
And I doubt any surfboard can have more volume than a sailboard.

Keep pressure (altitude) and temperature (heating and cooling) from affecting your boards. I use no board bags, have had very few delam problems after 33 years of shortboarding and owning WAAY more than 100 sailboards.
Ok, maybe closer to 150 sailboards, sorry.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At better than 4 boards a year, maybe you didn't have them long enough to experience any problems. Still though, that's quite a turnover rate. Why so many?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamer wrote:
The Glass Transition Temperature (Tg) for many widely used epoxies can be reached in as little as 115° Fahrenheit. This is the point where the cured epoxy softens to a rubbery consistency and the structural integrity of the laminate plummets.

So a 105 degree day + sun + a black hull = mush. I will take even more precautions to keep my black rails out of the sun when on the beach. That, plus obeying my first instinct and have those rails painted some brighter and more reflective color.
alap

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I understand the physics of membrane.
The molecule of sweat/vapor is getting out. The molecule of water doesn't go in. Just because of the size of micro holes.

Your theory that as membrane got old the vapor can't escape, it is not confirmed by my "experiment". In the old jacket no matter how hard I work, unless it is raining, I feel perfectly dry. Its getting wet only when it really rains.

And actually when this happened I was not working hard at all... Just on the lift...

Sorry, to me it is not that the vapor is not escaping any more, but that it is water getting in.

And if this happens to the jacket it certainly could happen to the vent, could it?
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with alap.

Well used board with well used Goretex vent. Board heated and vented by sun on journey to coast. Board plunged into colder water creating lower pressure interior and suction while board and vent awash in water.

Probable result, some water sucked in through overstrained and deteriorating membrane, to equalise outer and inner pressures.

Why risk it, when a sound screwed vent plug is safe.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alap wrote:
Dan, I understand the physics of membrane.
The molecule of sweat/vapor is getting out. The molecule of water doesn't go in. Just because of the size of micro holes.

That's why Kokotat Goretex dry suits will "pump" water "overboard" (i.e., drive moisture from inside the suit to outside the suit) even when submerged. The membrane pumps moisture from warm to cold, not from wet to dry. This would worry me with a Gortex board vent, since the board is not kept warmer than the water by body heat. Maybe that's an issue only at a venue where the water can be MUCH warmer than the air, such as NM's Morgan Lake, where the water can be >60 degrees warmer than the air in a blizzard.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I did some research including speaking to a chemist who researched Gore-Tex and other "waterproof, breathable" fabrics. She said what I and most people believe about the way moisture on the inside of such a garment is eliminated, namely through transfer of water vapor through the "magic" layer is wrong. Speaking of Gore-Tex, she indicated that the early days of Gore Tex proved troubling for the company because the single PTFE layer became clogged with dirt, oil, sunscreen etc. "Modern" Gore-Tex (not including Gore-Tex Pro for some reason) uses a very thin layer of polyurethane laminated directly to the PTFE substrate.

She explained that water vapor cannot pass through the tiny holes in modern Gore-Tex since the PU layer is monolithic. Yet the PU layer also is hydrophilic. This is the key, she said. Water vapor condenses on this PU layer and sits there until it reaches a condensation gradient sufficient to diffuse through the PU and emerge on the interface between the internal PU and the PTFE laminated to the outside. It re-vaporizes at this interface where the vapor now can pass through the PTFE layer, but only if a sufficient heat/humidity gradient exists.

That is why Gore-Tex clothing does not work the same in all conditions. For example, Gore-Tex doesn't work particularly well in hot and humid conditions. It works best in warm and dry conditions. Cold and wet conditions also allow Gore-Tex to work well.

She said that the reason people love Gore-Tex over most other similar products is because Gore-Tex is both highly breathable, nearly waterproof, and almost totally windproof. No other product does all that except for something called eVent. eVent uses a different type of PTFE than Gore, a type that resists oils and dirt. Since eVent needs no PU to keep it clean, it must be laminated to cloth to prevent abrasion but is a heavier fabric as a result and not wind proof.

bamer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alap wrote:
Ski in this jacket for a while (year, two, five... your mileage may vary...)

Eventually you will get into the rain/fog/very wet snow....

You won't be dry, guaranteed... I speak from experience...

I agree completely that Gore Tex doesn't last forever and can fail. However, what is causing the failure? My understanding is that the vast majority of failures are related to manufacturing, tape failures, and abrasion. Is there another cause you can support with evidence? Is there any information available on the degradation of the membrane as a function of time?

Gore Tex is sewn into most garments. If the the holes made by stitching are not adequately taped or the tape fails, the membrane will leak at low volumes and pressures. Gore cannot control the manufacturing process garment makers use or their quality in implementing it.

Abrasion is well known to damage the Gore Tex membrane. The early generations of Gore Tex garments either left the membrane exposed under the shell or the membrane was paired with fabrics that would either abrade the material during normal use or failed to adequately protect the membrane against abrasion (i.e. fabrics that were rough on the inside that would chafe the membrane or weaves that allowed external items some degree of intrusion to chafe the membrane).

Your experience with Gore Tex garments is a good anecdote. However, I don't think your logical extension from garments to vents is on sound footing.

A Gore Tex vent is not stitched or taped and should not suffer any abrasion in the venting application we are talking about. The membrane on a Gore produced vent is shielded from abrasion by the housing.

All materials have weaknesses and limitations. A situational weakness for a material does not make it globally unsuitable for anything. Polymers with aromatic rings like Kevlar can quickly degrade in UV light. But Kevlar is still a long lasting, reliable, lifesaving material when used in bullet proof vests. Kevlar can also be a nice addition to a composite sailboard. When used correctly the Kevlar will be shielded from UV light. EPS begins to soften and break down around 200° F. But it is a light and stable core material in any conditions one is likely to windsurf. Good board builders and repairers are careful about using resin formulations and quantities that can get hot enough to melt the core, especially in fin box and mast track applications.

alap wrote:
Why do you think they sell those cans of product that you have to apply on to rejuvenate it? (some spray on, some to mix with detergent and wash it).

As Dan said they don't actually sell that; at least Gore doesn't. You are thinking of Durable Water Repellent (DWR) which is a polymer that repels water when applied to the outside of a fabric. The DWR serves a purpose even if the membrane is effective against water intrusion. If I have a cold glass of water and moisture builds up on the outside of the glass, is the glass leaking?

Most outwear designed for snow or rain is coated with DWR. Gore Tex not a DWR, it is a membrane fabric and when used on garments is sewn between the inner and outer layers. Many owners have never seen this membrane because it will not be visible unless something on the garment fails (i.e. stitching rips, seam splits) or the outer fabric tears.

alap wrote:
Plus if you live in the climate with winter and leave the board in the unheated garage, and there is a drop of water inside, it will freeze, expand (destroying any structure it is sitting in), thaw and freeze again destroying new area...

I would be interested if you have any evidence to support this. The foams widely used in windsurf boards, EPS and PVC, are well studied and used around the world for insulation specifically because of their long-term resilience to repeated freeze and thaw cycles.

I do know of a study that shows EPS may crack and degrade when exposed to extreme saturation and freezing cycles. But this study was inconclusive because the EPS was subjected to repeated force from moving and submerging the samples. Either way, the range of conditions were well beyond what a windsurf board will likely experience. The EPS samples were cycled between being forcibly submerged for extended periods and then immediately subjected to extreme cold.

In reality, water expands about 10% when frozen and the EPS is pliable enough to allow for this expansion. Unless the core is incredibly saturated, the risk of it 'destroying' the 'structure' of a windsurf board is incredibly low. By incredibly saturated I mean your 14 pound board is now 25 pounds. And if this is the case, the board already has some serious issues.

There are windsurfers and surfers all over the world, many live in cold climates and store their boards in places where they can freeze. In practice, boards exposed to freeze and thaw cycles hold up fine. Again, if you have some evidence to the contrary, I would be very interested to see it. I'll set the bar incredibly low: find one surf or windsurf board in the history of the internet that has been damaged from freezing.

alap wrote:
If your Alzheimer is so strong that you may forget to plug it in before going in the water, then may be gore tex is for you (you probably will die sooner in this case), but for the rest of us....

Instead of bringing in a horrible, degenerative disease, perhaps it would be less offensive to just say these vents are for people that are stupid. I'll just take ownership of being stupid.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamer wrote:
There are windsurfers and surfers all over the world, many live in cold climates and store their boards in places where they can freeze. In practice, boards exposed to freeze and thaw cycles hold up fine. Again, if you have some evidence to the contrary, I would be very interested to see it. I'll set the bar incredibly low: find one surf or windsurf board in the history of the internet that has been damaged from freezing.

It doesn't prove that damage can't happen, but my boards sat outside for 16 years in New Mexico, where temps ranged even on the same day sometimes from >100 to < 20 degrees F. None were damaged even when adding altitude variations between 7,500 and 4,000 feet. I can't believe that all those boards were dry inside.

And that's with untouched hard plugs, not more forgiving membranes.
alap

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamer, such a long thesis on something so simple....

If I offended you, I am so sorry, you took it so personally, I had no intention.
And believe me unfortunately I know what Alzheimer is. No reason to loose sense of humor, my politically correct friend.

And when I say "they" I didn't meant to say that it is produced by goretex. Just they, the shops... Please do not sue me for defamation.

And nobody should convince me that goretex is good, expensive but good, everything I wear when ski is goretex, (except of gloves, gloves are leather, goretex gloves are ruined too fast), not some "proprietary" membrane, which has no comparison to goretex really.

And yes unfortunately I have the bad experience of keeping my first board in the freezing temperatures... yes it was llong ago... 30 years... but it was the end of it.

but I won't keep nothing that has taken or might have taken water in the freezing temps... Like my quick blade paddle got a bit of water inside... I can hear it if I rotate it fast enough. I am too lazy to change the handle but if I let it stay, there is a danger it will be destroyed... or may be not...
So in the winter it lives in my cold room, together with my boards and carbon booms (and yes if I have to carry seven of those I dont mind to bring as well my carbon masts in). Sails live in the trailer though...

but why risk it? same is with goretex vent - why risk it? because it is cool?

if you happy with goretex vents or keeping the boards in the sun or below freezing - by all means, I personally won't do that...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: