myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Review of 2014 Kona Worlds in Islamorada
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darbonne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, I won't blow KJ's cover. If my memory is correct, he won his weight class (yellow sail men) and was very competitive in the gold fleet. He also finished high in the long distance race. All the sailors from TX did very well. They are all excellent racers. Not sure which west coast race you did, but one on the TX sailors Barbara Belt finished first.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony !!
I love the attitude and spirit... from you and Del.
Great questions... and things you guys write. (And cool pics!)

What "west coast race" are you mentioning?
The only one I talked about here, was 24 years ago?
Greg -
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, also meant to ask you 3 and DanW... or other's that were there, a year ago.
How did they divide ALL the people into Gold or Silver fleets?
What was the criteria... what was the purpose ??
How did the racing differ, for the 2 fleets?

THanks, Greg -
marc5

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, sounds like the Kona events are huge fun. Reminds me of the Windsurfer regattas back in the 1980s: 1983 Nats in SC, 1983 Worlds in Kingston, Ont., 1984 Hemis in Quebec. Those were epic events. The sponsors, including Myers's Rum, spent a lot of money to ensure everyone had a great time. Food, parties, housing, great regatta staff.....I miss that stoke. I may try to get out of my geezerdom and try a Kona event. Board rentals?
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Board Rentals ??
Yes !!
At One Design races they will have "Charter Boards". You pay a reasonable fee, and that covers your board and rig charter (or rental) during the event. The amount of gear they available for charter is limited. They will take reservations in advance to hold it.
Specific rules probably vary for different events... but this is what generally happens.
Greg Smile
konajoe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc5 wrote:
Board rentals?

Yes. BUT. What can really make these races a life experience is to buy a Kona, and sail on it alot to get ready for the event. It's great motivation to get out on the water and be active for 5 or 6 months leading up to the event.

2013 Kona Worlds were held at Trois-Rivieres. I just missed the Myers Rum era, but we still hear lots of crazy stories.
konajoe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnw44 wrote:

I see Del... what number (or name, whatever you want to identify with)... is Darbonne and KonaJoe?
I can't imagine any reason to be secret.

Because ONE of those folks is embarrassed about the piss poor racing they did during that event. Fell in 6 of 12 races, c'mon. Late for a start, jeeez. Rounded the next to last mark in 6th, fell because of the huge wind shadow made by all of the folks behind him, and stopped counting when 35 passed him (no uphauling unless you won't interfere with other sailors.) And a 45 deg windshift halfway up the last, short windward leg, on the last race, which allowed 15 - 20 folks pass me, I mean him, aaaargh. Sometimes you get all of the breaks, and sometimes you don't.

Results: http://class.konaone.com/Files/Editor/Documents/Final%20results%20for%20Kona%20Worlds%202014.pdf

Short video: https://vimeo.com/113931828

Long video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFch1pjBr5s

Silver and Gold Fleets: The race committee decided that a 106 board start was too many, so they divided into 2 equal groups for the first 6 races. (I was ok with either split fleets or all at once.) They did seeding of the top sailors to make sure that the majority wouldn't all be in one half. After 6 races, the top half of the blue fleet and top half of the yellow fleet advanced to the gold fleet for the last 6 races. The rest, formed the silver fleet. If you look at the first 6 races, you'll find two 1's, two 2's, two 3's and so on. The debate was whether to start over after the first 6 races, or keep those scores. Again, most of us were ok either way. But I was in, what turned out to be the tougher fleet, NUTS. Next time, I'll get lucky, and be in the weaker fleet for the first 6 races. It's all good.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fleet division process explanation... makes perfect sense!

And hey, no reason to be embarrassed here... no pride needed.

I figure one of the best aspects of this site... is to help newer folks. And realizing that everybody falls, is no big deal.
And wind shifts... and getting "covered" is just something that happens in racing.
All that is very reassuring to newer sailors. They see more experienced guys who make it look so easy, while they're struggling like crazy. However, THEY need to know that we've all gone through the same stages.
Robby and Bjorn have probably crashed and burned a ton... nobody gets through all those stages, without lots of falls.
Anyway, no big deal... and good contributions. Even though we don't agree 100% of the time... 95% of the time is pretty good.
Greg Smile
PS - I should dig out my "Meyer's Rum" t-shirt they gave us for the US National's in 1991 in San Fran (that I wrote about). I wore it one day this past summer, when the Kona Tour was here in the NW. Mike Fox and Bruce Matlack cracked up seeing it... and it was WAY before Cody's time, LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: