myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
84L Board... Got stuck out in the water
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your frustration, how many times did I and do I fall because of the lack of wind.

ghost1 wrote:
I just found this. Is this what most people do?

https://thewavehobbit.wordpress.com/windsurfing/wave-riding-the-bottom-turn/sinker-up-haul-and-tack/

Yes there are a few steps.
If the sail cannot be held vertical enough then we can let go of the front hand on the boom and grab the mast. If that's not enough then the back hand can grab the foot of the sail.

If there isn't enough wind to fly the sail out of the water, then we must grab the mast standing with weight on our heels to titl the sail up or the uphaul to lift the sail out of the water.

When uphauling a small board, the thing I found worked the best was to raise the sail until less than 45 degrees, something like that. I can stay stable like this even on a small board for a while. Then in one motion I swing the sail up and towards me so I can grab the boom or mast/boom and point downwind.

I often fell when taking too much time from the 45 degree mark basically.

Lots can be done in light winds even on small gear (backwind sailing, duck jibes, tacks, duck tacks, heli tacks, upwind 360s), I'll dedicate one of my next videos just to this. It helps to have a light and easily maneuverable sail so a 5-batten power wave 5.8 sail on your 84 might be more challenging to balance than a four-batten 4.5.

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or simply find a board at or about 100 liters that has a very high wind tolerance. lots of them out there. for instance, a friend who has a busy life showed up at a west wind venue ill prepared for 4.0 winds. he borrowed my 91 liter board for a while. i needed it back, so he went out on his 104 liter cross.

again, exocet does not have an exclusive on boards that do well in higher winds than advertised, but they have quite a few.

exo-wave 95 and 105

x-wave 101 and 111

cross 94, 104 and 114

s-cross 116 and 126

are the most recent that i have used super lit.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 84L Board... Got stuck out in the water Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
It's your risk to take,
and it might pay off (or be worth a swim).

Three of us became known as the Roosevelt Swim Club because on most breezy summer evenings we'd milk the wind long after sunset, planing on and off on 5.2s, until we could barely see the shore, then slog or swim back in. It was worth it. In November (the river still feels warm), I won't milk the wind cow quite that late, especially if I'm alone (as though anyone could provide assistance at night anyway). That post-sunset afterglow can shut off pretty quickly. Much depends on the venue.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
You can't get performance out of a bigger board?

It depends HIGHLY on the board. Some 95s will outslash and outmaneuver many, if not most, 80s, and ride quality is equally dependent more on design than on liters, within reason. That 84 may be regarded as big or small depending on Ghost's weight.
westender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was so special about his first ride on the 84L?? Swimming?? He needs a different board and more TOW.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 84L Board... Got stuck out in the water Reply with quote

Outstanding! An excellent first sinker sesh, complete with consequences.

1. When sailing a sinker don't go as far out, and pay lots of attention to the wind. The next time you notice the wind dropping, change boards.

2. Yes practice shlogging the board, and light wind waterstarting.

3. To uphaul a sinker, try pointing the board straight into the wind, with the sail trailing behind the board. As you get the boom into your hand swing rig further forward to bear off.

4. The more time you spend on that board, the amount of wind you need to shlog will decrease. Still, swimming is sometimes your only option. So be mindful of where you sail your sinker.

ghost1 wrote:
I took my 84L board out for the first time yesterday. Had an amazing time in winds of 25kts. So this is what windsurfing is actually supposed to be like!! It was actually a lot easier than I thought, I could even slog around when the wind dropped. But then...

I noticed the wind dropping and thought I'd go for one more rip. Half way back to my launch the wind dropped to probably 10kts or less and I fell over. The old "I've fallen and I can't get up" issue. I couldn't waterstart my board and uphauling I couldn't get steady on the board and kept tipping over.

Luckily I just drifted back to my lauch, took about 15-20mins. I was thinking this might happen so I positioned myself correctly.

My question is what am I supposed to do in this scenario. Should I take my board out in light winds and practice slogging and uphauling? Also practice light wind water starts?

Where I sail is gusty and the wind can be blowing hard 25-30kts and then shuts off quickly with little warning. I don't want to find myself in this scenario in a less than ideal location. Because now I'm dying to get on that 84L board again!

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
What was so special about his first ride on the 84L??

Let me guess: The Usual. Liveliness, maneuverability, jumping (if not yet ... soon), a lighter FEEL even if not apparent on a scale, a better ride and maybe more speed in rough water, an extension of his feet rather than a plank to stand on, and more. Since the day I first sailed a sinker a quarter century ago, I've VERY rarely sailed anything bigger (although that would change if I had access to waves in 15 mph winds).
westender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw how Cribbie had his disciples rigged up in Maui, it confirmed my suspicions that too many people think low volume is the be all and end all in the sailing universe.
DelmarEdward

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender-could you elaborate?
westender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Ghost got the thrill of his life when he was powered up on his 84.

Cribbie knew if anyone floundered around in the water during their lesson session everyone would suffer. He had everyone on large boards compared to what a Hot Dog would use. We scoffed and sneered! A bunch of guys from the UK taking a Cribby lesson in Maui on giant boards. They all did great with the extra flotation.

Rig a big enough board so you don't have to swim.

I also fall into the trap of rigging for what I wish the conditions were, rather than rigging for what they are, if that makes any sense??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: