myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
NO MORE JAMMING ON COLD, WET, CLAMMY, STICKY, STINKY BOOTIES

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: NO MORE JAMMING ON COLD, WET, CLAMMY, STICKY, STINKY BOOTIES Reply with quote

Instead, slip your feet easily into dry, warm, clean-smelling, receptive booties.
The difference?
Boot dryers.
There are many models on the market, but my Googling narrowed it down to these American-made 110V beauties:

Low power draw (35 watts) lets you run them off your car battery.

No electronics, if I understand correctly -- just a heating plate -- lets you run them off any cheap 40W inverter plugged into your cigarette lighter if your vehicle has no 110V outlet.

25 year guarantee.

Best price I've seen is here:
http://tinyurl.com/om3ugsu .

I don't know yet how quickly they will dry soaked neoprene booties, but every little bit of heat and dryness helps. Even high-top booties will be bone dry in a few hours with no harm to neoprene. I plan to run mine off this countdown timer at home and in my RV:

Woods Indoor Countdown Timer Model 50030
Automatically Cuts Power to Connected Lamp or Appliance After Pre-Set Time
$5.94 from SmartHome at http://tinyurl.com/pxwtzgy .

I hate wearing booties, but, unlike gloves IMO, they beat not sailing. This setup makes their initial hassle downright pleasant, especially in cold weather.

You're welcome.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I filled some high-top, split-toed booties with water. They dried well enough to slip them on easily in < 4 hours, very dry in <5 hours. Otherwise they take many days to weeks to dry out even if propped open, with fungus, bacteria, and stink to show for it.
DelmarEdward

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went windsurfing yesterday and did nothing to dry the boots but throw them on the garage floor.

this morning when i went out again, i put them on the floor of the car in front of the passenger seat, and put the heat on with the compressor to dry the air.

when i got to the ocean which takes about an hour, they were completely dry.

just sayin'
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it yours are just ankle high, thus open so air can circulate. High tops take days IF propped open, for me. Damp booties are toenail fungus heaven, and that can be virtually incurable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: