myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Crazy big NPH: Maui, Gorge, Bay Area, Southern California
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Crazy big NPH: Maui, Gorge, Bay Area, Southern California Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

This time of year the NPH should have shrunk to a fraction of its summer time size and be far SW of the California coast.

Instead, as you can see in the images below, the NPH is massive and is impacting the wind almost everywhere. At 12:30PM the Bay Area is already seeing wind into the 30's and Southern California has ramped up into the upper teens and should go stronger.

My guess is that this El Nino will not be much like past El Nino events. There is already so much heat in the pacific that the rain and winds could play out very different from that you would normally expect.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com

HugeNOVnph.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  209.96 KB
 Viewed:  17518 Time(s)

HugeNOVnph.jpg

temp.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  115.34 KB
 Viewed:  17518 Time(s)

temp.jpg

Benton

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike.
Thanks so much for this special report. Your effort on a weekend is much appreciated.

I wish everybody a blast today!
Ben
ringe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Was "officially" nuking at 3rd 11/15 Reply with quote

Was "officially" nuking at 3rd Sunday 11/15.
Three or four shifts of sailors sailed starting early at 9:30 until sunset. I was on 3.4 , 76 ltr and was slightly OPed most of the time which made it difficult to comfortably play with the big swell. Should I buy a 2.9?!
A bonus day for the wind people it was!
Hunt
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Cal. Nuked again today. Sensor was down right when it hit. C street was in the 30's. I've sailed 7 days so far in November. Tomorrow could be good again.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
So Cal. Nuked again today. Sensor was down right when it hit.

It's a mystery why they can't fix (or replace) that server. It could be worse; here in the Delta we have had a lot of trouble with both M10 and M14 all season long, mostly due to phone line problems. In a sort of throw-everything-at-it move, they replaced the base stations several weeks ago and changed the server they dial into at the same time. The server they switched to is -- you guessed it -- the same one Leo Carillo uses, so even more trouble. Why M10 and M14 don't use different servers is another mystery. Hopefully, when/if M12 is replaced it will dial into a different server from the other two, reducing (but certainly not eliminating) the likelihood of all three being down at the same time.
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have another sensor located on the hillside over looking leo and surfline has a camera at county line so even if the leo sensor is out we have other ways to check it. what you delta guys need is a web cam. Maybe the folks at Rio Viento can be talked into hosting one.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rio Viento hosted a web cam several years ago which was placed by a company, whose name I can't remember, that put up several around the Bay Area. It was black and white and low def but still nice to have. It's still up on the mast in fact. I tried but failed to talk Tony, and Steve at RVWA, into adding DSL to the Windtalker line to make the camera work again. That Windtalker, BTW, has been our savior this year but the unit itself finally gave up. I'm trying to contact Litek to see if they can repair it, as they no longer make them.
CoyoteOleg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what we've seen yesterday here in Bay Area was the windiest day in 2,5 years. And the weirdest - since it happened in mid-November. Anyone agree?

I was overpowered on my daughter's 3.3 sail. Last time used it on 04/15/2013 when it did go above 50mph for a short period of time.

Sunday Nov 15 2015.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.67 KB
 Viewed:  17146 Time(s)

Sunday Nov 15 2015.jpg

Monday Apr 15 2013.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.83 KB
 Viewed:  17146 Time(s)

Monday Apr 15 2013.jpg

windfind

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

Yep, these powerful northerly winds are not at all typical for mid November on the California coast.

We should be seeing counter-clockwise spinning storm system out in the Pacific around this time.

Like I said in my last post by this time the North Pacific High is usually shriveled and far to the SW and the California coast has weak or no NW wind.

But once again check out the animation below which shows a huge clockwise North Pacific High ruling the Pacific creating big NW winds on the coast just like it was spring!

Incidentally the pressure gradient to the Central Valley is very weak except in the direction of Bakersfield. But strong 20-35 gusts winds over the Bay Area, Southern California and Baja have been jazzing up the surface wind.

The North Pacific High has also shoved a ridge into the Great Basin so Baja's East Cape is also getting northerly wind. Folks down there who don't understand wind are probably thinking that winter El Norte big winds that follow a storm systems passage have arrived early.

But this huge wind event was not the follow up of a winter storm but rather a spring type North Pacific High.

Enjoy!

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com

HugeNPH&NlyBaja.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.72 MB
 Viewed:  17135 Time(s)

HugeNPH&NlyBaja.gif

MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was just commenting to a friend on the beach today that it felt like spring.....except it's not light until 7 pm, so we can't take advantage of the great wind that usually comes up late in the day. We'd have been on our 3 meter sails if we had the added benefit of the spring thermals too!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: