myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
new board update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go at ... what? He's saying that:
• Things that many people all over the world do successfully can't be done, or don't work, or ... or ... something ...
• Everyone must do everything his way.
• I have sailed only in the Gorge, thus know nothing about light or marginal sailing. (Today was breezy in the Gorge ... single digits with some teens. Many days aren't breezy enough to light a match.)
• That we must always place significant weight on our back foot, so if it's near its strap we're sinking the tail.
• That no one is allowed to lessen the work on their arms by hooking in before planing.
And on and on and on with a litany of stuff not one person believes.

What's to film?
DelmarEdward

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was out today on the GO 170, retro 7. winds very fluky, 12-25 mph and changing direction all the time.

i did get into both straps on both tacks several times, and noticed some things re: BFF vs FFF. first, when i did weight the front foot more and the mast and slide the back foot in first, the tail did not sink as iso states, felt pretty smooth.
i did this when well powered up on a run.

later, i was doing some very short back and forths and was trying to get going from a beach start and in to the harness and both straps as quick as possible, during this time the wind was starting to die so , with a little lighter wind and trying to be quick, doing FFF seemed to help because the front foot going in gave kind a boost if you will, shoving my body back , the board forward and giving the sail a little pump.

so i don't know. i'm not trying to start a fight between you guys, i value your opinions and your information. in a lot of threads information like this is often mentioned in the context of what would happen if a beginner or someone progressing were to follow the advise, well i'm just relating i am following the advice and am trying the different ways.

on another note, didn't get to do more than 2 waterstarts today due to shitty wind. did start to practice clew first beachstarts as a prelude to clew first waterstarts. seems awkward, but i could see them being useful spending less time screwing with the sail.

will get to release my new board from its cardboard prison this thursday at the local freight hub!
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pleasantly surprised it was that simple on a wide board with straps out near the rails. Now you have some alternatives. You win.

I got nothing for ya on clew-first waterstarts. We gotta turn the sail at some point anyway, so I take advantage of the opportunity to rest and let physics do most of the reorientation. In particular, I swim only to catch an errant board, not to reorient fallen gear. Obviously, I do not have crashing waves rushing me.
westender

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People should explore every technique possible in order to develop their own personal sailing style suitable for their body type.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
People should explore every technique possible in order to develop their own personal sailing style suitable for their body type.

and preferences.
and abilities.
and variety.
and different situations.
and gear.
etc.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender said:
Quote:

Exactly.

When I learned, beginning in 1984, I had no lessons or guidance as how to do anything, other than a library book. I found that when learning on a short board, BFF seemed logical because I would spread my feet very wide for stability and comfort, then go for the front strap once I attained good speed. If I hit a lull, I would take the front foot out and step forward for balance and to keep the tail from sinking. At some point as my skills improved, I flip flopped and went to the FFF because I found it easier to keep the board planing without the back foot in the strap in marginal winds (us lake sailors have to deal with that kind of thing). The risk of getting tossed is dependent on one's skills, and I can't remember getting tossed anytime in the last several years with FFF, but I have been able to maintain a plane for considerably longer times with this technique.

I also go FFF on my formula board with the straps waaay outside, same with my slalom board. I also hook in before going for the straps, but not necessarily recommended for novice/intermediates.

Find what works for you and go with it. And for one final anomaly, I sail with my harness hook up!!!!
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hook up is a bad idea. The design of the hook is made to drop the line out if you get tossed and the line gets twisted. This help prevent injury that can happen when you go over the bars. The big thing is if you get trapped under the sail with a crossed line and hook up that did not release...
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clue first water starts are a helpful trick. It is much easier to flip the sail after the water start than it is when your in the water. Also this trick is used for some more advance moves. The key is getting the center of effort of your sail forward. Since this center is closer to the mast than it is the clue, you need to really lean the sail forward and be ready to let the sail flip as soon as you are up on the board...
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my favorite move on my unconventional wave kit.

i seem to remember some mention of a not so complimentary video of MF that got deleted????

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=153843807980157&set=t.100000692935371&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Fscontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-xpa1%2Fv%2Ft1.0-9%2F61848_153843807980157_6596993_n.jpg%3Foh%3D26108b65cad15457bf50b28e7109ab20%26oe%3D56EE2B32&size=720%2C535

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link does not work John.

Clew first waterstart does come in handy at times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: