myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
new board update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Clew 1st Water starts.
Handy on Maui, and handy in the Gorge!

-Craig
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

link worx if you are logged in to fb
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

novaan said:
Quote:
Hook up is a bad idea. The design of the hook is made to drop the line out if you get tossed and the line gets twisted. This help prevent injury that can happen when you go over the bars. The big thing is if you get trapped under the sail with a crossed line and hook up that did not release...

I am not advocating hook up. I started because in the mid 80's, I was using a chest harness with a square metal plate with a high hook. When leaning well back, the line would come out of the hook and I would go splat in the water. At the time, logic said flip the hook over, which solved the problem. I have adapted well and haven't had any issue in 31 years of using an upside down hook. Novices and intermediates that get launched, will do so with hook up or down. With a lot of experience, one anticipates gusts and adjusts trim accordingly to avoid the splat. Hook up or down makes little difference once your body motion adapts to a natural unhook movement. More complicated with the hook up, but still doable.

Again, I don't recommend hook up for anyone, but for me it has worked well. I once tried to go back, but with no success. Too automated/conditioned to make the change.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hook up or down has no effect on getting launched. Its what happens after things go bad. Its the difference of staying in the hook and getting slammed in to the sail or getting tossed clear of it. Its getting trapped under the sail still hooked in with your lines crossed or swimming freely away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: