myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gorge getting double teamed w/gusts to 52!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Gorge getting double teamed w/gusts to 52! Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

Wild winds almost everywhere in the Gorge today. Gusts to 52 knots at the Hatchery and 3 mile briefly had average winds at almost 40.

These wild gusty winds are being created by the highly unusual huge North Pacific High to the south and a storm system to the north. While far to the west a inbound chilly storm promises snow as low as 2000 feet on the weekend.

Below is the story in imagery!

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com

ZZ04373DC1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  220.26 KB
 Viewed:  18268 Time(s)

ZZ04373DC1.jpg

johnl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting in my house in the heights my house actually shook in the gusts. First time in the 5 years I have lived here. And of course it is trash day. My empty trash can was across the street 2 doors down.....
jimoakes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed the Wall. 8 sailors out and it was warm! No sunbathers on the beach cause it was a little cloudy. The sun came out for a while and then you could really see how big the swells were. It made a rainbow over the dam too. What a beautiful day.
dhanson928

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimoak wrote:
I sailed the Wall. 8 sailors out and it was warm! No sunbathers on the beach cause it was a little cloudy. The sun came out for a while and then you could really see how big the swells were. It made a rainbow over the dam too. What a beautiful day.

Did anyone sail Roosevelt/Arlington today that is on this forum? Dang, I was working up on Snowden today, listening to the gusts, thinking about the "regulars" who might have been catching what must have been epic...what with the Port graph showing some long periods of 50+...
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosey was a total bust. What little wind it got lasted less than 2-3 minutes -- essentially about 5-15 mph with occasional, random, rare, very brief bursts into the 20s. I swam -- twice -- for FAR more minutes than I sailed the whole day -- hell, I swam almost farther than I planed all day-- and I got there early. 3-Mile and reports from Port Kelley, which were forecast to be too windy to sail, weren't much better. The high water has flooded the river with debris; one sailor recently barely missed a big, dual-tired (4 tires) truck axle bobbing down the river.

Then after we derigged and undressed near sunset, the wind hit, beginning at 4:30 and quickly hitting 49 gusting to 64 ... great fun in a Winnebago. Almost doubled my fuel mileage driving east, but I got skidded laterally into the left/oncoming lane when the road turned to the south. The freeway was even worse, with vision reduced a bit by both sand and tumbleweeds; some cars, no doubt intimidated by a dozen tumbleweeds blasting across their windshields every second and every inch of the way, were driving 30 mph at its peak. I'm not even going to look; I'm buying a new air filter before I start my engine again. That was the strongest wind I've seen in my 24 years of sailing regularly at Roosevelt (I deliberately left the day before that previous comparable windstorm that cost a WSer his life at 3-Mile a few years ago).

IOW, ya missed nothing but a lousy drive.
dhanson928

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Rosey was a total bust. What little wind it got lasted less than 2-3 minutes -- essentially about 5-15 mph with occasional, random, rare, very brief bursts into the 20s. I swam -- twice -- for FAR more minutes than I sailed the whole day -- hell, I swam almost farther than I planed all day-- and I got there early. 3-Mile and reports from Port Kelley, which were forecast to be too windy to sail, weren't much better. The high water has flooded the river with debris; one sailor recently barely missed a big, dual-tired (4 tires) truck axle bobbing down the river.

Then after we derigged and undressed near sunset, the wind hit, beginning at 4:30 and quickly hitting 49 gusting to 64 ... great fun in a Winnebago. Almost doubled my fuel mileage driving east, but I got skidded laterally into the left/oncoming lane when the road turned to the south. The freeway was even worse, with vision reduced a bit by both sand and tumbleweeds; some cars, no doubt intimidated by a dozen tumbleweeds blasting across their windshields every second and every inch of the way, were driving 30 mph at its peak. I'm not even going to look; I'm buying a new air filter before I start my engine again. That was the strongest wind I've seen in my 24 years of sailing regularly at Roosevelt (I deliberately left the day before that previous comparable windstorm that cost a WSer his life at 3-Mile a few years ago).

IOW, ya missed nothing but a lousy drive.

Thank you, I needed that......Sorry for all you Rosie Regulars, but it's often the way, this time of the year, that storm winds are fickle....
dhanson
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhanson928 wrote:
storm winds are Fickle....

How ironic. Very Happy
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the air quality camera shots at Wishram, I did notice extraordinarily large swells (large wavelength) off Avery Island, so I figured the The Wall was very good. But all I did was surf the freeway to Portland yesterday. Watched a 30' tree topple over the eastbound lane of I-84. So some telling photos of swell and tips of sails poking over the top of swells at The Wall would be a pleasure to view. Thanks.
mmyers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Port Kelley was epic, gusty as heck but biggest swell I've seen there, was on a 3.7 for a couple hours.

pk2.jpg
 Description:
Brian, Beric, and Neil @ PK around 1:30p
 Filesize:  161.85 KB
 Viewed:  17848 Time(s)

pk2.jpg

pk1.jpg
 Description:
Mike and ? @PK
 Filesize:  161.68 KB
 Viewed:  17848 Time(s)

pk1.jpg

biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice big blobs out there! Thanks. Was Beric on his 5.0 doing the Time Warp again? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: