myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
X-LONGBOARD Exocet - anythoughts or close encounters?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outhaul wrote:
Try placing the board just above your forehead rather on the very top of your head.

I have a Kona, so the top is soft and I use the very top of my head. I think it's better for the neck that way... Whatever way you end up doing it, be very careful not to strain your neck. To be able to take the weight on my hands in case of trouble, i don't move them too far forward when the weight is on my head. If you move them forward, the board will be more stable, but if you need to lift, the board will not be balanced in your hands and will fall back on your head!
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterloo - I live in Hobart, we have a "weekender" on an estuarine area, right on the doorstep (accept for the bank!). I will give the head carry a try - never thought that was possible Smile. I did at one stage consider starting a thread on "Why is it so heavy?" - but I guess it is the size.

I have a ute now on permanent standby at home and might travel to some of the older haunts - it's just so convenient sailing off the front of the block hot shower and coffee on tap.

If the general consensus is that the 11'5" board will be at least as fast as the exo Windsup, then I am happy with that. Unfortunately there is no opportunity to try one out prior to buying. Thanks for the contributions to the discussions, jingebritsen, John, I think I have read just about everything you have written on this board - are you still keen on it or have your expectations been exceeded else where?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

free rides well. i think better than the kona one.

nothing different than the original 11'5" carbon. does have thruster fin boxes. original stock fin was way better than that hokey maui whatever wannabe fin.

i fill the thruster boxes with gummy material meant to block those cavities. imagine using a board like this and needing thrusters? ludicrous marketing...

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding carting heavy longboards up and down extensive low tide beaches, especially with the added weight of paddles strapped on front deck-

I've always found that lifting it overhead by grasping the front straps, one in each hand, to the upside down position resting on shoulders (arched forward head so no weight on neck) and hands holding straps well forward to balance evenly over shoulders the boards weight, the least painful way of covering long distances. If the wind is sideways you can even manage with just one hand in strap, and 'float' the rig alongside with the other hand holding the boom head, saving two seperate long walks.

Of course, those who think longboards are fit only for sniggering at will say why bother? I leave them to their self imposed lack of windsurfing vision!!
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently heard back from the dealer here in Aus - will not be available till February. I will order one so that I get in on the first batch- will be a long wait! Based on what I have read it will be perfect for my location etc. The tri fin set up does seem a bit odd for a board this length, doubt I will use that feature Smile
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled the trigger and paid deposit the other day for a delivery in or around Feb. If anyone feels inclined to paste links to vids of this board in action in this thread - would appreciate it. I have found a few dotted around the place (earlier/same manifested version) in the forums (bit lazy I know). Wishing you all a great New Year.
Xxwindsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an experienced general practice physician with extensive experience related to neck problems, I would strongly advise NOT to carry a 30 lb plus windsurf board on your head!

This is particularly applicable to older windsurfers.
It does not matter if you have done this in the past without a problem, you are inviting disaster.

Any physically active person walking on this earth opposing gravity with a bowling ball (head) on your neck for multiple decades DOES have degenerative disease in their neck, and is at risk for significant injury
outhaul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
free rides well. i think better than the kona one.

nothing different than the original 11'5" carbon. does have thruster fin boxes. original stock fin was way better than that hokey maui whatever wannabe fin.

i fill the thruster boxes with gummy material meant to block those cavities. imagine using a board like this and needing thrusters? ludicrous marketing...

Looking at the Exocet PDF the new board comes with two fin setups.

32cm center fin with two 11cm thrusters.

23cm center fin used as a single.

Wouldn't it be the other way, the 23cm with the thrusters and the 32cm used alone?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exocet "webmaster" needs some TLC. Smile
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the smaller fin is in the single fin mode in the picture on the Exocet site Question

screenshot_1512.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  131.21 KB
 Viewed:  15301 Time(s)

screenshot_1512.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: