myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
X-LONGBOARD Exocet - anythoughts or close encounters?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d0uglass

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures on the site make it look like the step is relatively low (about 1") with a slight tail kick after the step, as on the 11'8" WindSUP.

But in actual photos of the board the step looks higher (about 2") and there is no tail kick after the step- Same as on the original 11'5 and Kona ONE.

For crossover sup use I would be interested in a board with the 11'5 dimensions and construction but with the less extreme step height and slight tail kick of the 11'8. Basically I want the board in the picture, which doesn't quite exist in real life.

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james, just sailed to utter silliness of exhaustion on my 11'5" in side shore then side off. that big step didn't hinder me a bit. BUT, i have learned to step BACK on my 11'5 while wave riding. this is always true, except for one instance: milking an onshore wave ride, apply tons of boom pressure, and step forward like a surfer would to link up over slopey shoulder to next section upwind.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
dmilovich

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: X-Longboards in SPI - first impressions Reply with quote

Hi all,

Newb to posting on the forum here, but have much enjoyed all the expertise that's freely offered by everyone over the years.

I just came back from some weeks at SPI, where I took delivery from Progressive Sports, of two X-Longboards, one 11'5" for me and a 10'5" for my gf, who is an intermediate sailor. Got the boards on the advice of John Ingebritsen and Steve Gottlieb, both trusted names in this biz.

I only have about 10 sailing sessions on the board, some flat, some in small waves, but can tell you I was steered right by both of 'em. Totally jazzed I got 'em.

Gotta say, when I saw the built-in handle like you see on SUP's, I thought to myself - "what a goofy thing - more weight and only dweebs would use that". Ate my words almost immediately thereafter. Call me a dweeb -that handle rocks! Makes it SO much easier to carry the boards around.

But there is one negative on the boards I immediately noticed: That very cool-looking blue finish gets very hot in the SPI sun. I worry about it cooking the board. It could easily get up to 160 F+ in the sun in 20-30 minutes, which is not what you want to be happening to your ride. I took pains to always put it in the shade as soon as possible, or lay the sail over it.

Anyway - on to the sailing:

I sailed flat water several times, planing (for a while) with a Maui Sails 7.5 Scream freeride sail, using a Makani Ono Weed 30cm fin. I weigh 175 lb (79.5 kg).

Some first impressions of flat water:

- Well packaged from the factory, nicely made board in all respects (except darkish color as mentioned)
- way easy to sail
- great non-skid
- glides well to quickly build some apparent wind, keeping upwind pace when not planing with my gf on her JP 130 fun ride with a big TA 33 cm Blade weed fin
- goes upwind quite well, using the upwind rail, or, when powered, the leeward rail and the fin
- footstraps were too forward for BAF blasting, but I had them set up for waves so that was fine
- jibes great, feeling much shorter than anything of that length I'd sailed before (lots of years of old World Cup-style board sailing under my belt from the past - think Ultra Cat, Mistral Equipe I & II, etc.). Really does feel like a short board when jibing (OK, a long short board, but still...) In fact, jibing and staying on a plane pretty doable when well powered.
- also lots of fun to dink around on during low wind days with a 5.3, trying to learn some basic freestyle
- surprising moment when I found myself suddenly riding some dinky powerboat waves that had come out of nowhere at an angle to where I was going and was instantly motoring/gliding in a new direction upwind for 5 minutes or more. This board really wants to catch waves!

Wavesailing first impressions:

Claimer/disclaimer: I'm a low intermediate wave sailor, having a total of about 60-70 days of summer sailing at Mokuleia on North Shore of Oahu during a number of trips (mostly 105 l board and 5.3/5.7 sails), but I LOVE RIDING WAVES!

- sailed the 11'5 for 5 sessions in the small to very small (1.5'-3.5') surf of SPI next to the Jetties in side-on to side to side-off conditions. Wind only 8-15 mph max all times, no chop to speak of. Used a Maui Sails 6.1 Ghost wave sail exclusively, again with the single Makani Ono Weed 30 cm (more on that later, and I do need to try larger sails next time). Started with mast at 140 cm, then moving forward each day until to about 155 cm.
- mostly not planing outside, but did get some powered moments catching a few waves outside of the break. Found myself standing forward of the mast with one foot all of a sudden, on the wave - fun! But needed more power to ride any outside waves consistently - next time the 7.5 is in order.
- rode a bunch of waves in the break, surprisingly easy to catch once they start to shape up a bit. Rolled the board sideways a couple of times (small waves, remember) until I got the hang of standing on the inside rail a bit more. Really natural to work the wave up an down a bit, sailing down the line (much as you can "work a 2'-3' wave - lol). Feels pretty darn loose even when all of the board is in the water
- never in foot straps or near them - not going fast enough, not needed
- super easy to go out in this small whitewater. Punches through/rides over really easily as long as you point it straight at the breaking water
- rode the fin into the sand bar once then decided to try the 23 cm center fin with the two 11 cm side thrusters. I know, I know, it's just a marketing ploy. Or is it? I think it's actually very useful to have this combo for really small surf and shallow water. Made riding the dinky waves completely stress-less in terms of any chance of running aground and jamming a fin, and was able to stay upwind just fine in spite of the lowered efficiency. John I is right, even gliding, you can sink the upwind rail and glide upwind just dandy. So that was the last day - in 2' surf 10-12 mph, with the tri-fin set up - and I can't wait to do it again!

Wow, I really had fun on this board (never tried my gf's 10'5" in the waves) because it makes small stuff in light wind really fun and opens a whole new dimension on the SPI experience which you all know is primarily a flat water place.

Thanks, John and Steve!

Will be back in November, I hope, and can report a bit more.

Dimitri

PS - did find those razor edge rails on the tail are very fragile and took some nicking from the booms, but I'll find some colorant for Marine-Tex and take care of that easily.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great review.

don't worry about the dark colors. i have been using exocet black and dark blue for years. no delamination from sun damage.

wynsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Is the old 2013 11'5" curve the same as the new X Longboard? I saw one somewhere for sale in bamboo.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same hull shape.
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got to my board. I ordered it months ago and it's taken until the other day to get it on the water. Gusting around 8-15kts with a 7.3 North E-type. Had a lot of fun got in the straps about 1/3 of the time. Often the first sail on a new board can be a bit disappointing until you work out some of the kinks. This board did everything it says it does on flat water at least - looking forward to some waves soon. Thanks for all the advice on this board - especially jingebritsen (John I think).

longboard.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.49 KB
 Viewed:  15658 Time(s)

longboard.jpg

lrrry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumb question..

But are the double fins (or triple) only for shallow water, or do they give some different or better performance?

and the thrusters... are they just small outside fins? And what do they do?
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Irrry the side fins (thrusters) are for wave use and provide extra "bite" on the wave. They tend to slow speed on flat water at they promote more drag. Usually they are toed into the nose of the board as well. I doubt I would use them - I have the free sail fin installed for flat water - I'll use the single wave fin if in waves as I am not going to be encountering much really challenging stuff to warrant that much help on the wave - but I could be wrong.
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time posting- getting more time on this board loving its ease of use and performance. Just Handles difficult water conditions without fuss and can get you back if the wind drops out. I have been surprised with its speed and early planing in lighter winds.

https://vimeo.com/197207665
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: