myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tiny cracks in the front of my board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LUCARO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do not feel comfortable with a full repair one thing better than just putty would be to sand down to the existing glass and then apply 2 layers of fibreglass encompassing the cracked area and cross your fingers.

To do a full repair you will need to grind through the glass to inspect the foam sandwhich. No way to really back out of that if you get in over your head.

Sand off the paint and take some more photos
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their are plenty of helpful Henry's here to guide you along.

You asked about videos, use google or...
Windsurf board repair, I saw several.

West Systems are a company that you can actually speak to human who speaks English .

They West make kit versions of epoxy. Their should be some stores locally that will sell , West Marine, and supply glass or carbon, and will offer advise.

It matters not the grade of sandpaper to start, and a electric sander would be my first tool, you only need higher, less grit for the last finish, I would use wet and 220/320 for that and 80 or 100 to start, depends on how much you want to sand, machine better, less work.

Basically this needs covered with a permanent fix in mind, putty is a temp fix anywhere.

Asking ? Will get you tons of replys

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead and do the repair. I had a serious nose crack this summer. I went ahead and got everything I needed to repair it - foam, epoxy, glass fiber, and some tools, after getting pointers here where to buy stuff. Some tried to discourage me, but others were quite helpful. I also tend to be clumsy, and don't work with my hands much (unless you count using a mouse and keyboard).

I spent about $250 getting various supplies and tools, some of which I did not even use in the repair. The repair came out great, the board looks as good as new. I have sailed it 35 times since the repair, and it is still going strong. I added a custom foam nose protector again, though.

When you do the repair, just go slow and don't rush it. Read what you can find, and ask for advice here. It's ok to make mistakes, they can be fixed. To give an example: I wanted to fill a big hole where I had removed broken foam. The PU foam I had bought did not work, so I used epoxy. In my first try, I used way too much, and it melted the foam next to it. The second try, where I used multiple small layers and lots of epoxy filler, worked like a charm.

I did most of the sanding by hand - it's much easier to go too deep with a power sander if you are not used to using them. Get a bunch of assorted sandpaper, and change it often. Don't forget to wear a mask and gloves. The one power tool that I found really useful was a Dremel tool for cutting out the damaged glass fiber sections (about $30 on amazon.com).

For the epoxy, get the West Marine stuff, including a filler and the metering pumps. Those may seem expensive, but make life much easier. You can always practice on some styrofoam blocks from packing material to get a feel how to work with the epoxy and glass fiber material.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find everything you will need here:

www.fiberglasssupply.com
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing we need to keep in mind is that rgomez lives in India. I'm thinking that finding the right epoxy and fiberglass products might be a bit tougher than here in the US.
carl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rgomez,
Search for a fiberglass supply in India. A large boat supply store would probably also have what you need.
You want epoxy, not polyester resin. Polyester resin is not compatible with the foam core of your board. The stuff at the hardware store is no good.
It looks like the Ding-All kit you mentioned doesn't have enough material to do the job. You'll probably need at least a half square meter of fiberglass to do the job right and enough epoxy to soak it.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put a report with pictures about the nose repair I did a few months ago on my blog at http://boardsurfr.blogspot.com/2015/11/the-nose-job.html. It's not meant as a step-by-step guide, there are better sources for that out there (and I have only very limited experience). It's more a story about how a repair of similar or worse damage can be done and lead to a rather good result, even by someone without experience, and even when running into a few problems along the way.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if one cannot do it - there is always a handyman around somewhere
car repair person would be a candidate
my buddy built a few boats and was ready to help fix my CAT

http://joewindsurfer.blogspot.ca/2014/05/fanatic-ultra-cat-repair.html

rgomez

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. Luckily I found a surfboard builder who is willing to repair it. Hopefully I can learn from him for future repairs.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's good news!
It would be helpful to gain at least some repair knowledge, it's typical damage that occurs often.

Windy regards

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: