myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Old school windsurfer needing help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MARKCOTTERILL268

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Old school windsurfer needing help Reply with quote

Hello fellow windsurfers.
I'm looking for some help, I'm 44 years young and used to windsurf in the 80's and 90's getting to intermediate level. On an impulse I bought a couple of old school boards a fanatic cat and fanatic bee lite. I've also got some old art sails (which are in great condition) and an epoxy two piece mast. I've been out a few times, but I'm looking to update the sail and masts. Can this be done? Will the new style kit suit the boards and if so what should I be looking to buy? Being away from the sport for so long has meant I'm no longer up to date with stuff. Any help would be appreciated thanks mark.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigs have come a long way. Boards too for that matter. That being said maybe start with newer masts sails and a boom. Lots of windsurfing gear available since so many WSers have moved on to Kites.

Decide the wind and water states that will fit your local venue. I have been happy with my Ezzy Infinity and Wave Sails. My Infinity 7.5 and Ezzy Wave SE 6.3 get a lot of use, I also have an Ezzy Wave SE 5.2 this sail is from 2000. It's a 15yr old sail that still feels good in my hands and is still in very good condition.

I sail a lot on Lake Erie and 17-22knt winds can produce 3-6ft waves, so a wave cut sail comes in handy. I also sail the sounds in the OBX, I had purchased a used Infinity 6.5 several years ago and like the Infinity for the relatively smooth sound waters. As for masts, I've gone to the RDM's in sizes 400cm--490cm. I like them, I also have my old Poweex SDM in 460--520 they still feel good also. I just like the hand to mast touch during gybs a bit better. For my larger sails 8.5-9'5's I like the SDM masts, I think they give the sails more range....

Hope this helps some

SD
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old '93 F2 Strato that I sail with a 7.5 Ezzy Cheetah on an Ezzy rdm 460 mast. The sail is fairly new, 2013 I think. This combo works way better than those old art sails which i used many years ago. The rdm mast is a real pleasure and makes rigging and sailing so much easier.

I used to own an Ultra Cat It's a fantastic board! Wish i could find one. One of the all time greats! I did a downwinder once in 30 mph winds once. I'll never forget it.

Anything newer than 2000 will be a huge improvement over those old sails you have provided that they are in good shape. Nice thing about any of the newer sails is that they have a much greater wind range, so you need fewer sails and masts.

I am partial to Ezzy sails and masts. With their masts I have a 460 and a 400. I use the 400 base with the 460 top to make a 430 This covers me from 4.2- 7.5.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you? That makes a HUGE difference in used gear availability, which can easily save 50-80% on GOOD gear.

Update the rigs. They've come a long way. Some people say we shouldn't mix old and new boards and rigs, but I don't buy into that for for recreational sailing. I see scores to hundreds of people on the water on windy days, mixing rigs and boards interchangeably with gear age gaps of at least 20 years with no problems, looping and racing and doing tricks in winds from 5 to 50 mph. As Slinky said, sails' wind ranges have improved dramatically, and rigs feel much lighter even if they weigh the same on a scale.

Don't get caught up in brand names yet. Ezzy is just one of a dozen brands of excellent sails. We all like our sails, or we'd be switching brands. IOW, if there were a superior sail, we'd all be on it.

We're not.

Even if there were a perfect rig for you now, it WILL change as your skills and preferences evolve. But we can't even get close to narrowing your options until you tell us more about your size, skills, wind ranges, water conditions, new and used gear access, sailing goals, access to local advice and help, etc.

Clue us in.

Mike \m/
MARKCOTTERILL268

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Old school windsurfer needing help Reply with quote

Thanks everyone so far, for getting in touch, you've all been a great help. It might seem weird, but I'm actually in the UK and normally go out on the Isle of Anglesey which is north Wales lol. I've posted a couple of requests on UK forums but no one has bothered to get in touch. I'd say I'm a good intermediate, well I was back in the day lol. All I've managed to find on the net here is people saying rigs of today won't match up, due to the distance of the mast foot from the skeg. So it's been really good to hear so many opinions so far saying it shouldn't be a problem. I love nothing more than blasting up and down, chop hopping with a few carve gybes thrown in. My current sail quiver goes from 4.0 to 7.4 so I'm happy as long as there's wind lol.
MARKCOTTERILL268

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Old school windsurfer needing help Reply with quote

I'm also new to this forum business too lol, so please bear with this old antiquated windsurfer lol
MARKCOTTERILL268

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Old school windsurfer needing help Reply with quote

Forgot to mention, I'm 6"2 and weigh around 80kg, and still happy blasting about, mainly on flat water. Can't seem to cope with waves and trying to deep water start.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Old school windsurfer needing help Reply with quote

MARKCOTTERILL268 wrote:
All I've managed to find on the net here is people saying rigs of today won't match up, due to the distance of the mast foot from the skeg. So it's been really good to hear so many opinions so far saying it shouldn't be a problem. I love nothing more than blasting up and down, chop hopping with a few carve gybes thrown in.

Well, that does affect our -- at least my -- advice. If you're carving (i.e., planing through) jibes, you might care if your Bee's mast step is way forward by today's standards.

Or not. A fair number of very good high-wind sailors like their mast-forward small boards enough to have their new custom boards built that way ... and they do just fine with modern sails on them. My sails are new, but the boards I use them on are up to 20 years old. HOWEVER, their mast steps are all at modern placement. Mast steps moved back more like 25 years ago.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modern sails twist and keep the center of effort down low compared to your older sails.

ART sails you have now, are they the exaggerated, blingy twist tops or prior? reason i'm asking is you may want to keep them a bit longer if they are the "hey look at me, i twist" or newer. sail them until they are rags.

you can push yourself further with cheap gear. once you gain some more time on the water, look to gun, loft, neil pryde etc.

ultra cat is priceless. lite bee, not so much. mast base back for best performance planing on both.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
MARKCOTTERILL268

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Old school windsurfer needing help Reply with quote

The sails are definitely not the blingy type, just full of florescent colours, typical nineties style lol. I think that I'll keep the ultra cat, but probably ditch the lite bee and get something a bit more upto date, and get a rig to match. Seems like I'll have to move with the times lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: