myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ezzy Cheetah vs. Sailworks Retro 8.5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although you've bought the Zephyr, I still thought that I would use the specs again to make a point. Things aren't always what they seem.

7.5 489 215-226 Zephyr

7.5 478 203-211 Cheetah 4.836kg

7.5 488 204-209 Retro 4.9Kg

Could it be that the 7.5 size designation for the Zephyr is a bit of fantasy? Based on the specs, the Zephyr has to be bigger than a 7.5, and that's undoubtedly why it's a more powerful sail. Surprisingly, Ezzy left off the weight for the Zephyr, but they didn't for the Cheetah. Overall, we shouldn't be surprised, windsurfing manufacturers have always had a way of stretching the truth about their specifications.

When you receive the sail, it would be interesting to weigh it to see what you got.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
warning folks. the zephyr was designed to be a LONG BOARD sail.

some folks have gotten this sail and gotten catapulted when hit by gusts because it may not balance with a short board. buyer beware, mail order folks do not often stress this fact enough.

I've been using mine on a Firemove 122 and an old Formula board. I haven't been catapulted yet. Wink

When the wind gets to that point, I am rigging my 6.5 Cheetah. I've had many days when the Zephyr has put a smile on my face. I am happy for Bryan, as I think that it will pair nicely with his 6.5, and his Exocet 10' board.

If he decides to really get into lighter wind/marginal blasting, a formula or big wide short board like an Ultrasonic or big Futura with an 8.0 or 8.5 could be the real deal. But for what it sounds like he enjoys, I think that he will be happy.
outhaul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

Of course, many Northwave fans would say you're nuts not buying a NW 511, owners of which say it combines the best features of a John Deer diesel tractor and an Indy car.

I seriously considered the Northwave 511 but the biggest size is 7.7m and it rigs on a 490 mast with 28cm extension, again this is for a 7.7m sail!
I'll bet it's a nice sail and I'd love to try one but that's too much mast for a 7.7m for my taste.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outhaul wrote:
I seriously considered the Northwave 511 but the biggest size is 7.7m and it rigs on a 490 mast with 28cm extension.

Their rigging chart calls for a 490 + 6"/15 cm extension. That "28" is the MCS.

I just didn't want to fool with that much square meters OR another mast, and my biggest board will probably balk at a 7.5, so I picked up a used 511 7.0 in 2014 when I was confined to windSUP sailing. One of these days I swear I'm gonna try that sail out. If it's maneuverable enough to slash on the small swell we may see when it's averaging 15-20 mph, it may see some use.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Amigo,

I have the predecessor to the 511 in my Gorge Quiver, and
I've been looking for a used 511 in the 6.5 range for a while
(what I'd really like is a 6.7 ZX). I mention this,
because both my current Northwave 6.7, and the 511s have a pretty
big low foot area (ergo the tractor pull), and that is really easy for me to
stuff into low wind swell. I'm just say'n you might have to adjust your
slash technique for results that don't send you over the handlebars.

;*)

-Craig

isobars wrote:

I just didn't want to fool with that much square meters OR another mast, and my biggest board will probably balk at a 7.5, so I picked up a used 511 7.0 in 2014 when I was confined to windSUP sailing. One of these days I swear I'm gonna try that sail out. If it's maneuverable enough to slash on the small swell we may see when it's averaging 15-20 mph, it may see some use.
outhaul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ iso, good catch I misread that.
outhaul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Retro vs Cheetah topic, I have the Cheetah 8.5m with 490 Ezzy RDM and have used it a good amount over the past years.
I find the sail/mast to be excellent however I haven't had the opportunity to directly compare it to a Retro 8.5m with either the recommended Joystick 75% or Lightstick 100% SDM.
Like I said very happy with the Ezzy but there's nothing like a side-by-side comparison. What could someone at 210lbs expect to feel? How about mast durability? I occasionally get washed in shorebreak and the Ezzy has held up.
Thanks.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDMs (even 490s) hold up better in surf, but surf(even shore break)
can break anything. I love Retros, but,Rettro battens are not designed
to survive waves. Like I said, if you're riding waves, a Retro is not
your call, you should be on a Hot Sails 8.0 Super Freak.

-Craig

outhaul wrote:
On the Retro vs Cheetah topic, I have the Cheetah 8.5m with 490 Ezzy RDM and have used it a good amount over the past years.
I find the sail/mast to be excellent however I haven't had the opportunity to directly compare it to a Retro 8.5m with either the recommended Joystick 75% or Lightstick 100% SDM.
Like I said very happy with the Ezzy but there's nothing like a side-by-side comparison. What could someone at 210lbs expect to feel? How about mast durability? I occasionally get washed in shorebreak and the Ezzy has held up.
Thanks.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point cgoudie1! I have sailed Ezzys for decades and never broken a batten or mast, even in shore break and falling on the sail. First time I fell on my Retro I broke a batten, and it was a royal pain in the butt to extract and replace the damn thing. Other than that it is a great sail, just don't fall on it.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been windsurfing for a long time.

I am interested in this thread because there are days on Lake Erie, in the middle of the summer, when one really wants to go windsurfing and plane, but the wind doesn't cooperate.

I have had days on my old Formula board and my Pryde V8 8.5 when I have been able to plane, and really put some serious distance on my board, as opposed to just going out on a long board and cruising around. Guess what - I like to get a board planing and get back in the straps. And motor around.

You guys who are in great shape and do the wave thing: you're better windsurfers than me. I used to do the wave thing out on Lake Erie in the big days on 4.5's or 5.3's and wave boards, but that was 20 years ago.

These days, the sweet spot for me is a 6.5 sail on a freeride or free move board. But there are days which are not quite as windy, that I can cruise around on the Formula board and a bigger sail.

I will be picking up an Ezzy Lion 8.5, and a Retro 8.5. I plan to use both when I would have used my old Pryde V8. The Pryde is a pain in the ass to rig, but performs nicely in the conditions that I have described. We'll see what the Lion or Retro can do in the same conditions.

I will be posting my results in the Fall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: