myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fanatic 75, 80 or 85 as beginner board?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Fanatic 75, 80 or 85 as beginner board? Reply with quote

I got into the sport last summer and love it, but don't live in a very windy area. I anticipate being able to go out about 10 times a year where winds are between 10-15 mph (with some occaisional stronger gusts).
I weigh 183 lbs and have good board feet from paddle boarding and tons of other sports my whole life. My sailing skills definitely could use some improving.
I bought a Mistral 11' x 24" board for $40 but am looking for a beginner board.
The used market is almost nonexistent in my area but I have the chance to get a Fanatic for $450.
Is that a good beginner board that I could progress with and what size would you recommend?
Awalkspoiled

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is the Fanatic Viper it’s one of the best beginner boards ever made, and will serve well as a light-wind planing board when your skills develop to that point. The 85 will see much more use than either of the other sizes, and will overlap less with your next board in the eventual quiver (which will probably be something in the 130 liter range), so that’s what I would suggest. The stock fin will be good enough for a while but will ultimately want to be upgraded.

The rig is important too and ultimately at your size you’ll want something like an 8.5 which will allow you to get on a plane in 12 knots of wind. For now, though, especially if you’re still not in the straps, something smaller will be easier to progress on. I wouldn’t try to save too much money on it though - you’re getting the board at avery good price so get a decent sail and mast even if you have to spend a little more. For sails in this range the boom doesn’t need to be carbon so you can save some money there too. I’d look for a sail good enough to stay in the quiver even after you advance, which will fit without overlap next to your eventual big sail. I’d suggest a good no-cam 7.0 as being pretty easy to uphaul but having enough ooomph to allow you to learn good sail-handling skills.
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know if the 85 would feel too big and cumbersome, but it's only a pound heavier than the 80. And the extra stability I'm sure would be nice on real choppy days or when there are a lot of boaters kicking up big wakes.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it only reaches 10-15 ten times a year & you weigh 183, get the 85 if the cost is the same and I wouldn't ever worry about getting a second board as it sounds like you would never use it.

From the sounds of your location you have two ways to go. Short/wide planing board or long/narrow gliding board. Short/wide will be easier to learn on at first, plane up earlier with required larger sail/fin combo and probably easier to store & transport. However, short/wide will be sluggish on the other 355 days of your year. Long/narrow will be harder to learn on at first but glide better in the dominant non-planing winds of your area & go up wind better.

On small lake with no place to explore I choose short/wide with large sail/fin on the planing days & small sail basically no fin for light wind freestyle on the non-planing days. On larger lakes where I can explore I choose long/narrow with midsize sail.

Make a choice and welcome to a great sport.

Coachg
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are paddle boarding, maybe look into a windsup. Some of them have a planing hull and can be lots of fun in winds of 5-20 mph. Some come with the daggerboard option too! There are some nice touring type windsups that glide very well and also will plane in very little wind. What type of paddle board are you on now?
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
If it only reaches 10-15 ten times a year & you weigh 183, get the 85 if the cost is the same and I wouldn't ever worry about getting a second board as it sounds like you would never use it.

From the sounds of your location you have two ways to go. Short/wide planing board or long/narrow gliding board. Short/wide will be easier to learn on at first, plane up earlier with required larger sail/fin combo and probably easier to store & transport. However, short/wide will be sluggish on the other 355 days of your year. Long/narrow will be harder to learn on at first but glide better in the dominant non-planing winds of your area & go up wind better.

On small lake with no place to explore I choose short/wide with large sail/fin on the planing days & small sail basically no fin for light wind freestyle on the non-planing days. On larger lakes where I can explore I choose long/narrow with midsize sail.

Make a choice and welcome to a great sport.

Coachg

Yeah, I think my other board (24" wide, 11.5' long) could be fun if I want to go for speed over slog. I have fun paddle boarding on the thing, but am not good enough at windsurfing yet to take it out
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
Since you are paddle boarding, maybe look into a windsup. Some of them have a planing hull and can be lots of fun in winds of 5-20 mph. Some come with the daggerboard option too! There are some nice touring type windsups that glide very well and also will plane in very little wind. What type of paddle board are you on now?

I've thought about it but they cost well over a grand. I've only found one used in about 6 months of looking, it wasn't the ideal board and the seller wanted close to MSRP -- not sure if he ever used it.

I have a BIC Duratec 10'4" SUP. If I were to get another SUP, I'd want something narrow and long for touring.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wide beginner boards are great platforms for learning windsurfing skills. And, if your weather turns cold enough to be a problem, a wide beginner board can still be a wonderful tool for extending your windsurfing season. In my 32nd season I still sail a Starboard Start when the weather & water are cold enough I really want to stay dry.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me 10-15 mph is too big a range
i break it down into 2 categories
<12 mph where not everyone can plane - thin, longboard ideal for me
>12 mph where there is a planing potential, BUT requires BIG sails
8.5 at least - even for 180+ pounds
the 85 Viper @ 450 dollars sounds like a keeper
for the Mistral hope you have the mast base - or can retro fit a Chinook base
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
for me 10-15 mph is too big a range
i break it down into 2 categories
<12 mph where not everyone can plane - thin, longboard ideal for me
>12 mph where there is a planing potential, BUT requires BIG sails
8.5 at least - even for 180+ pounds
the 85 Viper @ 450 dollars sounds like a keeper
for the Mistral hope you have the mast base - or can retro fit a Chinook base

A typical outing is 8-10mph with random gusts around 15mph. I do have the mast base for the Mistral. It's not the best, but works so I'll take it.

I'd probably have to ship the Viper 85 which would add an extra ~$200. I may still go with it it though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: