myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
GPS tracking and speed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for Cyclemeter. I use it for mtbing and windsurfing. I have it on my Iphone, but they offer it for Android, too. I have a waterproof case so I can also listen to tunes while sailing and tracking.

Its only $4.99 and does a great job. Here is a recent session with the data it provides:

http://cyclemeter.com/77a980054db1875e/MountainCycle-20151228-1205?v=1
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: GW52 locosys Reply with quote

B737 wrote:
I will have to check out the Forerunner 10, the Fenix 3 is a lot of watch, i like the display. There is some talk on the garmin forum regarding the accuracy of the Fenix 3 though, not sure how much that matters for our application.

i like simplicity and durability... thats why the brick of the old school etrax was great. easily used through protective bag case, chunky, easy to read, and simple. speed distance done.

the biggest missing feature of non windsurfing GPS is their inability to ignore speeds below specific value.

I just bought a Garmin 235 (I needed a heart monitor) and installed the Wind/Kite Surfing Data field App https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/b820a772-e335-406a-85b7-2ac6a0e5b61a It is free but check which garmins are compatible on the app page.

It displays the best 2s, 10s and 5x10s. It also shows all 5 best 10s individually. There can be only one 10s per run/leg. One run ends after a turn or when the speed falls below 8 knots. The speeds are show in knots or kph. If a fast enough jibe has been detected, then it shows also the lowest jibe speed.

I tried it with my MTB and it works well, on the water soon.
feuser

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scargo wrote:
Most Garmin watches have "auto pause," which stops the watch when you fall below a pre-set speed. It's made for stoplights, etc., when you're running or biking, but does the same thing when you blow a jibe.

I always turn that feature off in favor of the certainty of the pause button, but you could definitely use it for sailing.

The best thing about Garmin watches, in my opinion, is the Garmin Connect website. It's free, and once you have an account, you can use it to log all of your activities. I've been using it for running over the last three years, and now have a wealth of information covering more than 4,000 miles. For each sesh, it shows exactly where you went, and you can drill down to see split times, average pace, elevation gained, etc. For windsurfing, the map shows lots of squiggly lines -- but I like seeing max speed and total distance.

Picking up an old thread, I know...

I have the Quatix 3 which is the Fenix 3 plus a few boat specific apps. Garmin replaced the original Quatix that had better integration into boat nav system with automatic Man-over-board beacon in case of bluetooth disconnect etc. with the Connect IQ platform. The good news is that this platform is alive with new apps, watch faces etc, coming out almost every day. Tons of stuff to play with there. It is also a REAL watch with a proper waterproof rating and a week of battery time (without GPS recording turned on). You can also put together your own app of sorts by combining data fields (data points collected by sensors) into a dashboard. The main problem for windsurfing is that being on your wrist, it doesnt get very consistent GPS/GLONASS signal which affects the trueness of the recorded data. I also can't read the speed readout without taking my hand off the boom which slows me down when going over chop at full throttle. It's a toy, but a very nice one.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
wsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scargo wrote:
Most Garmin watches have "auto pause," which stops the watch when you fall below a pre-set speed. It's made for stoplights, etc., when you're running or biking, but does the same thing when you blow a jibe.

I always turn that feature off in favor of the certainty of the pause button, but you could definitely use it for sailing.

The best thing about Garmin watches, in my opinion, is the Garmin Connect website. It's free, and once you have an account, you can use it to log all of your activities. I've been using it for running over the last three years, and now have a wealth of information covering more than 4,000 miles. For each sesh, it shows exactly where you went, and you can drill down to see split times, average pace, elevation gained, etc. For windsurfing, the map shows lots of squiggly lines -- but I like seeing max speed and total distance.

What app do you use for the Fenix 3 HR?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: