myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board recommendations for a big guy?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Board recommendations for a big guy? Reply with quote

I'm seriously thinking about getting back into windsurfing. A lot has changed since I last windsurfed so I'm hoping to get some advice. I already have a huge SUP with mast mount that I've been using in light wind but am ready to move up to a faster board for wind over 15 mph. I weigh 255 lbs and will be sailing probably 75% of the time in chop and the rest in waves to shoulder height. What sort of volume and board style should I be looking for?
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough question.

I weigh 210, and my favorite board at this point is a Firemove 122, which I use with a 7.5 and a 6.5.

I am guessing that a Firemove 130, Rocketwide 128 might get you going in winds over 15, but would also be difficult in waves? Perhaps a Rocket 135 would be more all around?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.2 lbs per kg means 116 liters for neutral buoyancy. plus 10 liters for the rest of the kit. 126 liters for semi-sinker performance when considering wave sailing.

x-wave 129 might be all you may need for high winds, whenever they finally become available.

http://www.exocet-original.com/xwave.php

i spend tons of my wave sessions on the x- longboard 11'5"
waves well, planes well, does the windSUP gig best in my world.

http://www.exocet-original.com/xlongboard.php

i'm 210 lbs and am a working man stuck in a not so windy area.

you may also like these link boards 11'8" or 10'

http://www.exocet-original.com/link.php

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
wsurfn1426

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Board recommendations for a big guy? Reply with quote

gobigkahuna wrote:
move up to a faster board for wind over 15 mph. I weigh 255 lbs and will be sailing probably 75% of the time in chop and the rest in waves to shoulder height. What sort of volume and board style should I be looking for?

So, I assume you are asking about planing bump and jump or wave conditions. At your weight, that will be 18-19mph plus wind. 15mph is sub-planing. You can float and wave ride, but that is going to be tough to make everything fit one board.

You are in luck that there are now some non-FSW production options. Just a few years ago, you only had custom wave board options as production boards stopped at 100 liters. Currently, Goya has a 118 quad, Starboard has a 110 (even 120) Nuevo. That said, custom is a great option. If you are considering a FSW which there are a few good options, I highly recommend trying before buying, as the bigger sizes may perform different than their smaller sized cousins.

I am #240 and I sail a 112 custom Quatro quad, and 125 custom Flikka freestyle board. I sail mainly flat water, so I use mainly my freestyle board. 6.3m2 is my biggest sail. I need usually need 17-18 to get going unless it is gusty. Good luck and welcome back!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Board recommendations for a big guy? Reply with quote

Greetings Mr. Kahuna

I'm not as big, but I love my 155 ltr Angulo Sumo (you'll have to find
one used). For me, it feels like a giant wave board. Give it a thought. Wave
guys need a little extra flotation to get out through the white water, and big
wave guys need a lot of flotation, the Sumo rails are nicely tucked up front,
and should ride pretty smooth in big chop for a big guy, plus no caves
anywhere near the tail for better speed potential.

-Craig

gobigkahuna wrote:
I'm seriously thinking about getting back into windsurfing. A lot has changed since I last windsurfed so I'm hoping to get some advice. I already have a huge SUP with mast mount that I've been using in light wind but am ready to move up to a faster board for wind over 15 mph. I weigh 255 lbs and will be sailing probably 75% of the time in chop and the rest in waves to shoulder height. What sort of volume and board style should I be looking for?
carl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not enough info. The big question was not answered: " can you reliably water start?"
If not, then anything under about 175L is going to be trouble in any sizable chop.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your focus is the wave sailing and you have the skills required, then think a large wave board. If your are developing planning skills, foot straps and turning then you need to think about a board that will get you going in very lite winds for a guy your size. Since you already have the SUP for the low end of your sailing site, maybe something like a Tabou Rocket 135. RRD Firemove or Starboard Atom IQ. Without knowing your skill level or your sailing site, its a tuff call. You want a board small enough to challenge you to progress. That said, if you go to small you won't get enough time on the water with it. Go to big and it will fit the same wind range as your SUP but might be faster. Demo or take a wind vacation to World winds in Texas or some place like it. Go at the windy time of year and try every board offering they have. The learning curve is a bit more difficult for a guy your size. Mostly because you require more wind to get you going. I'm 165lbs. and at 17mph plus, I start thinking 5.5 and 96 liter Tabou 3s. That said, I have friends your size and once the wind picks up just a bit, they are tuff to keep up with.
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:
Not enough info. The big question was not answered: " can you reliably water start?"
If not, then anything under about 175L is going to be trouble in any sizable chop.

Fair enough, here's more info about me:

I started windsurfing in the early 80's in Hawaii and continued with the sport through the 90's until 2000 when I switched to kitesurfing. Fast forward to 2011 when I moved to SoCal and started to windsurf again. Mostly sub planing on my SUP but also gave formula boards a try (but up-hauling a sail over 10m caused me to pull some back muscles so I went back to my SUP). I surf and have kited in waves, but have never tried windsurfing in waves (yet). I recently relocated to the Outer Banks of North Carolina and am seriously thinking about going full blown into windsurfing again. I've got the option here to sail in waves or flat water so would like to progress to sailing on waves eventually.

Given enough wind (probably 20+ mph) I can reliably water start, but I do tend to like a bit more flotation in case things get light or if I suffer a gear failure and need to paddle in.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gobigkahuna wrote:

I recently relocated to the Outer Banks of North Carolina

does this not mean you have access to MANY shops for rentals, recommendations AND lessons ??

been on the Sound one week in my life and sailed seven(7) days out of 7
you are in the right place with lots of local help around Smile
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
gobigkahuna wrote:

I recently relocated to the Outer Banks of North Carolina

does this not mean you have access to MANY shops for rentals, recommendations AND lessons ??

been on the Sound one week in my life and sailed seven(7) days out of 7
you are in the right place with lots of local help around Smile

I'm about 6 hours from the banks where the shops (and tourists) are and although some of the locals here windsurfed at at one time, I don't know anyone here who still does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: