myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Another Beginner Board Question!! Fanatic Viper vs. Funster
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andreafuentes99

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Another Beginner Board Question!! Fanatic Viper vs. Funster Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Thanks in advance for your advice!

Debating between a Fanatic Viper 80 or 85 and a JP Funster 180 to get my first board to learn and progress on.

Had a couple lessons, been sailing sporadically borrowed boyfriend's boards with various rigs etc. I have pretty good balance and can uphaul etc no problem, not so great on tacking and gybing (more lessons planned once I get my own board!!)

Live in Miami FL with light wind conditions most of the time. Not sailing in big waves just want to have fun and eventually get planing/harness/etc.

Really liked my BF Formula 100 board because it's so stable, but getting advice that Formula or race boards not the best to learn, sloggy in low winds. Rented a Funster 180 and liked it OK, but didn't love it. It was pretty beat up and I couldn't get the dagger board to go down. Sailed the big planks and also a JP Xcite 135? that I got stuck and couldn't get back upwind on.

The Fanatic seems great to progress on but not sure if a shorter board would be more maneuverable? Unfortunately I haven't been able to rent or borrow a Fanatic. So, Fanatic Viper or JP Funster???? Thanks again Exclamation
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whichever one you can get cheaper?

The Funster is wider, and will give some of the stability that you experienced on your BF's Formula board.

The Viper, being longer, will glide better in non-planing conditions.

You may outgrow either.

Another idea would be to pick up a used early Starboard Formula board, like the one that I have, which is 270 cm long, and 85 cm wide. Being longer than a modern Formula board, it is much easier to tack. It would probably plane earlier than either the Viper or Funster, if that is something that is important to you. That is a thought, but the dagger board in either of the Viper or Funster will be helpful in being able to cruise around upwind and downwind in non-planing conditions.

When you get the hang of being able to go upwind, you will probably want to try the JP XCite Ride again, or something like that. I know of a few lady windsurfers around here that use that board as their main board.
andreafuentes99

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Thanks!! Reply with quote

Appreciate your thoughts! I forgot to put that I'm somewhat athletic but not young, 5'8" about 150+ lbs so I think any of the boards discussed would be OK as far as weight,
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like gvogelsang's suggestion ...

it is NOT necessarily a Formula, but rather what I call a FreeFormula
the most user friendly , but not always easy to find is BIC Techno Formula
http://joewindsurfer.blogspot.ca/2012/07/bic-techno-formula.html

older ones had trimm fins (not around any more) and later tuttle or DT/deep tuttle
i put a smaller fin and smaller sail on and people of your weight were GOING on their first outing

another board in the same class is the JP SLW
newer and more expensive, but they do come up used ...
http://joewindsurfer.blogspot.ca/2014/09/jp-super-lightwind-slw.html

am sure your BF will have some good suggestions as well Smile
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big downside for a beginner starting on a formula board is that the footstraps are all wrong for someone learning. However, as a wide stable platform using a small sail and fin, it would work to develop the very basics in non-planing mode. Not having a daggerboard makes things a bit tougher staying upwind, but with the ample width, it's not too tippy. Quickly though, once you start thinking about planing, you would soon need a more practical board where getting into the footstraps is relatively easy.

In addition to the Fanatic and JP boards, you might want to look into the Starboard Rios.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
The big downside for a beginner starting on a formula board is that the footstraps are all wrong for someone learning. However, as a wide stable platform using a small sail and fin, it would work to develop the very basics in non-planing mode. Not having a daggerboard makes things a bit tougher staying upwind, but with the ample width, it's not too tippy. Quickly though, once you start thinking about planing, you would soon need a more practical board where getting into the footstraps is relatively easy.

In addition to the Fanatic and JP boards, you might want to look into the Starboard Rios.

Starboard Rio either S or M looks like it could be a fine way to start out. It looks like there are a variety of bootstrap options, which could be helpful at some point.

It is great that you are athletic, and at 5' 8" you will have nice leverage to get the most out of using the sail.

My second suggestion would be to pay more attention to your sail and mast/boom. Get the best/lightest rig that you can afford, in a couple of different sizes. Getting the best, light mast and light carbon boom, along with a really good couple of sails, and you will soon find which board works best.

If you start with really good sail rigs, they will last for a long time and will be used on whatever board you end up with. ON the other hand, as you progress, you will find that the board that you used to learn on will be quickly supplanted by a better board.

The Free Formula has some merit,as does the Rio.

I wish that I could loan you my original Formula board, as it does a number of things very well. It was designed the year after the original Go Board, and, as such, it was not specialized for upwind and downwind racing. It is more of a general board that planes early, and also goes upwind and downwind pretty well.

Another older board that would work would be the old F2 Xantos, if you can find one for cheap that is in good shape. It is longer than the new boards, which would help in tracking, and will plane off in some wind.

This sport has given me some of my very best moments, and a bunch of great memories. Hope it gives you some as well!
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to the question: Viper or Funster? Realistically, you will be spending a lot of time off the plane; the longer Viper will be faster, especially upwind. Either board will plane up in a good puff but the Viper will make the transition more smoothly. I would go with the 75 or 80. Also, JP makes a virtual knockoff, the Explorer.
http://jp-australia.com/2015/products/boards/
Brian.bigfella@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the big Starboard Atom IQ with a dagger or center fin. It won't outgrow it nearly as fast. You may even consider a Fanatic Gecko or JP Magic Ride in their heavy duty construction. They don't have daggers but they do have beginner footstrap inserts.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered a longboard? I've been windsurfing 30+ years and still use one quite often on the east coast where we have a hundred + days of sailable winds of 5-15. Longboards are so much more enjoyable to sail when the wind drops below 10 mph, which is 90% of the time where I live on the east coast.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was "afraid" to suggest a longboard
although it is my MOST USED board
almost impossible to buy new and difficult to find used
on the other hand others in FL are using Exocet WindSUPS and X-longboards
from what i have read here

also, someone used to a wide Formula may prefer width

tough call
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: