myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The fruits of austerity
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course there is a reason for that--Grover Norquist. 2/3 of his budget comes from a Koch front group and Crossroads, a Karl Rover front group. Here's a bit about who he is:

Quote:
Grover Norquist, the man behind the GOP's famous anti-tax pledge, is one of the most influential voices within conservative circles. The rest of America become rather obsessed with him this last week, as Republicans begin to distance themselves from the two decades-old pledge that, once signed, binds lawmakers to a promise that they will never raise taxes.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW--name once in the last 8 years. I dare you. Rep's fought the infrastructure bill, proposed no alternatives, and signed Grover's no tax pledge.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
It's true what they say about those who only pay attention to right wing media and web sites. They are more uninformed than those that only watch reality shows. Although I doubt that Malibu Bard will be embarrassed by this gaffe:

Quote:
Smart LOCAL GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS should have responded immediately to the problem.

I guess the media that he pays attention to didn't let him know that local government officials in the mostly African American City--hollowed out by policies that subsidized shipping blue collar jobs overseas--had been rendered powerless by Republican legislation that put Flint under receivership, managed by an appointee of the Governor. I guess he wasn't aware that the folks in the Snyder administration stone-walled complaints about taste, tests that showed high coliform counts, the abandonment of the new source by automakers who discovered it was too dirty for manufacturing, tests that showed high levels of lead, and letters and e-mails from EPA that told them they were in violation of drinking water standards. The governor's office only reacted when EPA line staff leaked their letters to the local activists who published a series of stories about the problem.

Fervor for cost cutting, putting amateurs in charge of government jobs that are actually complicated, and stonewalling public complaints led directly to this result. The GOP is desperate to define it as a failure of government in general rather than an inevitable result of austerity.

Had even the local dog catcher brought this to the attention of the liberal newspapers, he'd have been a hero. My take is the responsibility lies with the local government directly responsible for municipal water.
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
NW--name once in the last 8 years. I dare you. Rep's fought the infrastructure bill, proposed no alternatives, and signed Grover's no tax pledge.

I'm not the one that made a ridiculous blanket statement, you did, but you won't back it up, you prefer to deflect. I asked you to prove it, and you won't.
Spew it but don't prove it, typical mac, yet again.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malibu--you are wrong, but stubbornly and ignorantly wrong. The local government had almost no authority under the emergency manager plan:

Quote:
LANSING, Mich. — In the spring of 2013, Detroit was groaning under the weight of its troubles. It had accumulated billions in debt, was riddled with crime and had seen much of its affluent tax base disappear. A former mayor, Kwame M. Kilpatrick, was convicted of racketeering and fraud.

Gov. Rick Snyder, a Republican, swept in with a rescue plan: the appointment of an emergency manager, Kevyn D. Orr, who was charged with saving a city in fiscal despair. Many Detroiters were furious that Mr. Orr, then a high-profile bankruptcy lawyer from Chevy Chase, Md., had been given a role with extraordinary power, usurping control from local elected officials.

That anger has been revived in Michigan this week. Public outrage over the tainted water in Flint and the decrepit schools in Detroit has led many people to question whether the state has overreached in imposing too many emergency managers in largely black jurisdictions.

In the cases of both Flint and the Detroit Public Schools, governance was under the jurisdiction of the governor, rather than local officials closer to the ground.

In Flint, emergency managers not only oversaw the city — effectively seizing legal authority from the mayor and City Council — but also pressed to switch the source of the financially troubled city’s water supply to save money.

If memory serves, you were one of those who wanted to let the car companies fail, making life for the poor in Detroit and Flint even worse. You must be so proud.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st, aren't they capable of whistle blowing?

2nd, hasn't most of the production left the US?

3rd, I said they should have undergone a managed bankruptcy. I am proud of my position because as I said then the bankers should have been the ones to forfeit their equity through managed bankruptcy also. Home values should have been allowed to fall so the savers and little guys could have become wealthy as opposed to the bankers. You should be ashamed of your position and your liberal government who has only helped the bankers and lobbyists.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More made up happy horseshit from NW:

Quote:
I asked you to prove it, and you won't.

There were no Republican votes for the 2009 stimulus bill:

Quote:
Without a single Republican vote, President Obama won House approval on Wednesday for an $819 billion economic recovery plan as Congressional Democrats sought to temper their own differences over the enormous package of tax cuts and spending.

Until the turtleman decided that he would not allow his members to do anything to help restore the economy, Republicans had routinely voted in favor of funding stimulus bills that rebuilt infrastructure--indeed they pioneered many of those ideas. There have been no bills with any appreciable funding for funding infrastructure since then, although economists argued that more stimulus was needed to benefit the middle class. Since Republicans accepted that a proper role for the Federal government was funding infrastructure, Grover has taken over and RINO's have been ousted.

But poorly informed readers of conservative news media remain blissfully uninformed.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
Spew it but don't prove it, typical mac, yet again.

In hundreds of macposts before I set up my killfile and in the handful I've looked in the years since then, that is mac's MO. Funny thing is, his "disproofs" far too often support his target's post. The only people fooled are the non-discerning readers who look only at his closing statements about racism, Fickshun, yo Momma, pants on fire, etc. and fail to actually read or understand his whole post. Just as he did back when I read his AGWA stuff, he's still at it concerning the EPA's abuse. In short, he often proves his opponent's point then hollers "Victory".

I don't understand what any adult gains out of debating him, as "debate" requires ≥ two adults. Maybe -- no promises -- I'll look again next year.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars too remains blissfully (angrily?) misinformed.
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
More made up happy horseshit from NW:

Quote:
I asked you to prove it, and you won't.

There were no Republican votes for the 2009 stimulus bill:

Cute, but not cute enough, you change your original contention to try to make yourself the winner.
So high school, so amateur, you should be embarrassed.
No dessert after dinner for you tonight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: