myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Pt. Isabel sensor installed!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: New Pt. Isabel sensor installed! Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

Pt. Isabel finally has a sensor located only feet from the water. From the launch area just walk to the south to the chain link fence and you will see it installed on a telephone pole. This location should be free of the turbulence that made the old sensor on the sewage plant wall often inaccurate.

Still it will take time for you to calibrate the sensor reading compared to reality since the wind is often lighter near shore at Pt. Isabel. But at least there should be a linear relationship.

Great thanks to the Pt. Isabel local especially David who help make this happen. Below is the link to the new sensor. Zoom in and you can see the location of the sensor.

http://wx.iwindsurf.com/map#37.898,-122.314,16,1,!161947,1

Mike Godsey
windsurf.com
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo of new Pt. Isabel sensor.

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.54 KB
 Viewed:  12152 Time(s)

image.jpeg

windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we have to recalibrate our brains...17 used to mean sailable. Change is very hard for all us elderly Isabel regulars!
windsrf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for support for this upgrade Mike.

Plus Kudos to Stuart & Bob of Weatherflow for completing the project so quickly.

Carl mentioned today that the original PI sensor which had been knocked askew was left in place (but righted). I'm curious if both sensors be reported in the future?

Just returned from Los Barriles and 11 days of sailing. More whales than ever and plenty of wind.

Cheers, David
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windoggie wrote:
Now we have to recalibrate our brains...17 used to mean sailable. Change is very hard for all us elderly Isabel regulars!

Never looked at a wind meter in 42 years of combined sailing and windsurfing! Wink
windoggi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far out. Shoot me a text when it's good enough for a 5.5
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windoggie wrote:
Far out. Shoot me a text when it's good enough for a 5.5

Not really far out at all. Your senses, knowledge of local conditions, and reasoning can be very accurate in judging sail size.

I don't think that the occasional sailor seen holding a wind meter at Crissy, or anywhere else really, is really collecting useful information. And that is just because launching spots have most often very different conditions than the outside. The same holds for offshore meters: they pinpoint one condition in one spot, disregarding anything else in the picture. Of course they are useful to decide if to go to the beach when you live many miles from it ...
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first indicator are my neighborhood trees. Then I check iwindsurf to decide between Isabel and Berkeley. Then any available wind dummy. If no dummies are out yet, I rig what Gordie rigs. If no Gordie, I rig my 5.5. Simple.
carl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear that Davide (DvCali) lives at the beach so his wind sensors are the trees
outside his van.
But in San Jose the local wind is opposite of what it's doing at Coyote. If it's windy in San Jose, it's usually too SW at Coyote. I do occasionally go to Point Isabel in those condition so this meter (and all the meters) are extremely useful to me. Even when at the beach the sensor is very useful cause I know from experience that it's usually good for using an X.X sail when the sensor is reading a certain xx wind speed and direction. We are very fortunate to have sensors out on the channel marker and at SFO to tell what the wind is outside. The inside sensor is very useful too, since you do have to get out and back to shore. Some of us are much heavier than Davide and have trouble slogging the small board we have to use outside, in very light inside wind. Most people I've talked to say that the sensors provide VERY useful information to supplement and enhance what data you are seeing with the trees and water state.

THANKS MIKE AND CREW FOR YOUR EFFORTS IN MAINTAINING THE SENSORS!!
Very Happy
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
windoggie wrote:

Never looked at a wind meter in 42 years of combined sailing and windsurfing! Wink

What dvCali isn't telling you is that he rigs big... he's usually on a sail .5 to 1.5 meters bigger than me despite weighing 40-50 pounds less.

Davide, I hope you're feeling strong! Hope to see you at Da Stick or Crissy soon!

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: