myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jp Funster 145L or Jp x-cite ride 135

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petemack1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Jp Funster 145L or Jp x-cite ride 135 Reply with quote

Trying to figure out between a JP Funster 145L or a Jp x-cite ride 135L to get for my first board. I want to be able to learn and progress with it. I Had a couple of lessons and I have pretty good balance and can uphaul etc no problem, need some help on tacking and gybing. Just more time in the water really. I Live in Costa Rica in a place with light wind conditions most of the time. I'm Not going to be sailing in big waves at least I don't plan on it. I just want to have fun and eventually get planing/harness/straps
I've read that having a board with a dagger board like the funster is a great advantage when first starting out but a hinderance once you start to advance. I will be able to spend quite a lot of time on the water as I'm lucky enough to live very close to it. So I'm hoping that I will be able to advance fairly quickly. (don't want to sound cocky) What I don't have is lots of $$$$ or options down here so buying the right board that I can learn and advance on is key. I only weigh around 155lbs so I thought the x-cite ride might work me. Just don't want to get one and then not be able to ride it. Please advise me.
Thanks in advance.
carl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dagger board can be retracted on that board when you don't want it,,right? I don't see it as a hindrance if it can retract,,other than making the board a little heavier to carry. It is a definite advantage to help you go upwind when not planing. The bigger board would help you get planing in light wind, and be easier to sail and up-haul.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing that you live in an area with light wind, having the dagger board is a big advantage. It can be retracted when the wind picks up. Often enough there will be days where you can only plane on a broad reach. Sail up wind with dagger down, retract it and bear off to plane. No worries! Been windsurfing 30+ years and still use a board with a dagger board for the above reasons.

X-Cite Ride is more of an intermediate- advanced board. Get the 145 Funster. As Carl said, the only drawback is that it is a bit heavier.
Petemack1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:
The dagger board can be retracted on that board when you don't want it,,right? I don't see it as a hindrance if it can retract,,other than making the board a little heavier to carry. It is a definite advantage to help you go upwind when not planing. The bigger board would help you get planing in light wind, and be easier to sail and up-haul.

Thanks really appreciate your input.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option could be the JP Explorer. It's kind of like an Excite Ride with a centerboard (longer and narrow). The Funster is a beginner board you may grow out of quickly, but I have never been on one.

If you sail in any offshore winds you will need to get home (upwind), which can be done on the Excite Ride but you need some intermediate skills. The Funster should get you home as well as the Explorer, but my guess is the Explorer will be more fun once you learn the basics. The Excite Ride will take you well into intermediate levels if you acquire tacking and upwind skills.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are significant discussion for any of the boards mentioned.

What board are you using now?

The 135 would be my pick. You are light enough to use this for quite some time.

The learning curve will be steeper on the XCite , but rewards greater and you can use this board as your large one, when you scale down. I feel this especially true if you are going to get lots of time on the water.

You will find its difficult to pick the ideal board, there are always compromises.

If you feel you need something with a dagger board, look for something used.
If the board you are using now has one, you could continue till you have some more ability. It's always something.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Brian.bigfella@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the Funster.

The dagger won't just help you go in the right direction, it will add stability to the board for up hauling and what not, which you'll be doing a lot in the first few weeks (or even years). It'll be a lot less "wobbly".

When the time comes you can sail without it (I think it pulls all the way out). Trust me, if you're in a light wind area that's what you want, 90% of the time you'll want that dagger. When you don't 145 is small enough to have some fun. Is it a good bump and jump or wave board? Nope, but it works.

If you get the X-Cite Ride 135 you'll slog downwind and constantly be doing the walk of shame. Up hauling will not be fun. On a light wind day you'll be going back and forth struggling to stay upwind without having the option of exploring. Light wind long board sailing is underrated, imho.
outhaul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small point-but I like how the Funster's deck pad does not extend down over the rail. I haven't sailed one but was impressed by initial quality in the showroom.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the important exception of windsups, not much has changed in the beginner/improver category the last few years. So I think this is still the definitive article:
http://boards.co.uk/equipment-tests/tested-equipment/group-test/soft-tops-freerides-jan-2009.html#FDKLqCBE65viLuE5.97
If you decide the Fanatic Viper looks good to you, but you only have access to JP, consider the Explorer (mentioned above by bluefish1) which is pretty much the same board.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light wind and small waves, isn't it better to look for a WindSUP instead? A longboard is better to position yourself in small wind, and you can then surf the small waves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: