myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why do windsurfers jump?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, Techno900 is following what I'm talking about. Almost all the landings I see in the videos seem pretty hard (on gear and rider). Don't you go through gear pretty quickly? Or is the newer gear able to handle that kind of abuse? I've done simple "hops" while windsurfing but never tried anything bigger than that.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things:
You say that you've been kiting for years, so I have to assume that you've been getting air, fairly often, and also with little effort, so yes, you have been tainted by kiting. You use the kite to lift you off the water, it's not really jumping, more like being lifted by choice, when you want, you barely need a ramp.
In windsurfing you actually have to try to jump, taking advantage of the condition (a good ramp, in the right place, with speed) as it presents itself, then using your jumping skill to launch. So yes, it is more difficult, as are the landings.

Damaging the equipment, only one piece of the equipment is at risk during jumps, that is the board. And there is really only one way to damage the board, that is to flat land it repeatedly, the board hates that and will eventually give up the ghost by breaking in half.
But that is easy to avoid by landing either nose or tail first. When you see a tail first landing, that's when you see the momentum being lost, but you can still get going. With a nose first landing, the board will scoop back up right after hitting the water, and to a planing position enabling you to keep your forward momentum.

I have many friends that have switched from windsurfing to kiting, and we talk all the time. They say that getting air is so much easier with a kite because it's almost natural, but they also say that getting big air windsurfing is more rewarding not because it's easy, but because it's harder.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And remember, none of us are doing "Dale Cook" jumps and attempting to land them.
While a vid is nice to see the potential in the sport performed by the young and reckless...and more skilled, reality says that our real jumps are closer to half the height of the pros, in which case, they can be landed quite regularly.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gobigkahuna wrote:
So what is considered a "good landing"?

IMO ...
Good landing: It didn't hurt, and nothing broke.
Better landing: You landed smoothly and fully planing without spinout.
Best (at our level): So quiet, smooth, and fast that only the gap in your wake tells the tale if no one was watching.
Pro: "Best", at twice the altitude.

Countless Gorge sailors do Better to Best all day long, several times per reach, very often clearing 10 feet. Many will nail head to mast high Betters and Bests all day.

gobigkahuna wrote:
I see landings where the rider is still in his straps but the board stops and sinks a good couple feet on landing. Would that be considered "nailing" a landing?

No way. If the board smacks the water loudly, or you spin out, or if your landing speed is (unintentionally) slower than your takeoff speed, you didn't "nail it". Of course, a beginning jumper, or a "nosebleed" (really high) jumper, might say any landing they can walk away from was nailed. I've jumped hundreds of thousands of times, with fewer than 10 that hurt (really flat landings) and only one producing ANY injury (landed with my legs/knees straight).

The top tip: Don't simply wait for gravity to do its thing and land passively like a statue dropped off the roof. As you approach the water, actively extend your legs and SET the tail down BEFORE the board would have landed if you were asleep. Be the driver, not a passenger, and INSERT the fin into the water so it's hooked up and driving when the hull lands. That works even when both jumping and landing while pinching upwind, even on tiny sinkers, in virtually any terrain.

The rest is details.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reasons we jump include in decreasing order:
Fun.
Fun.
More fun.
Finding a smooth ride when vastly overpowered on very rough terrain.
Clearing logs, fishing nets, fallen sailors, etc.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought that was my secret, well dang, I guess the cat was always out of the bag!

-Craig

isobars wrote:
The reasons we jump include in decreasing order:
Finding a smooth ride when vastly overpowered on very rough terrain.
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. I'll keep looking for videos that illustrate what you guys are talking about. If you happen to know of one, a link would be great. Smile
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't you surrounded by WSers at home? Don't many of them land their jumps with speed and finesse?
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Aren't you surrounded by WSers at home? Don't many of them land their jumps with speed and finesse?

I just moved here and this end of the banks is almost all kiteboarders.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gobigkahuna;

It sounds like you are only looking at wave videos. In waves, even the pros are generally going for big air which forces them to turn more into the wind to generate the greater lift. However, the greater lift also slows down forward motion so even if they do land the jump nose first they do not plane away very impressively.

Try looking at more slalom type jumps where they go for distance instead of height by jumping more across the wind and pointing down wind. These jumps are generally called chop hops. They produce less height, greater distance & more speed out of the landings.

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but there is an example here at the 1:22 mark of this video.

https://vimeo.com/75856181

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: