myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Old school windsurfer needs quiver advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MARKCOTTERILL268

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Old school windsurfer needs quiver advice Reply with quote

Hello all

Hope you all had a good new year and already blown away the cobwebs and been out on the water?
I've treated myself to a 2011 starboard futura 122 technora as I realised the money wasn't there for a new tabou rocket 😔. So now I've got a board, I'm thinking of a newish quiver. I weigh around 85kg (put a little more on over Christmas) and love to go out in force 4 and more winds. So looking for a quiver to suit. All suggestions welcome, thanks
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for those of us (like me) who do not use Beaufort scale
does this make sense:

force 4 = moderate breeze 11-16 knots
small waves and perhaps whitecaps
"Dust, leaves, and loose paper lifted, small tree branches move"

this may help some of us make suggestions

plus your location ...
and NOTHING wrong with a SB Futura !!!
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need at least your upper wind speed range, your terrain (flat, knee-high chop, waves, etc), sailing objectives (top speed, comfort, planing, wave sailing, racing, etc.), and how aggressive you think you will be.
MARKCOTTERILL268

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Old school windsurfer needs quiver advice Reply with quote

Sorry for delay in replying, had to go to work Crying or Very sad I sail on flat water and my upper wind range would be around 40mph. Went out in 55 and it nearly ripped my arms off lol. That saying I was using an old 4m sail. Re the Beaufort scale query you would be right, thanks
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go first:

Ezzy Cheetah 7.5, 6.5 and 5.5.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you need a 3.0 (and a MUCH smaller board) when it's averaging 40, at least a 9.0 for planing in the mid-teens, and at least 4 sails in between. You'll probably want cams in the 9 ... I wouldn't know ... but the rest could all be camless freeride sails ... maybe wave sails in the 3.X sizes. Within reason, the brands are MUCH less important than the model/type chosen. Try to stick to one brand so gaps actually mean something, and give consideration to the boom and mast lengths involved in the biggest and smallest sails you choose; you don't want a 9 that demands a whole 'nuther boom or mast if an 8.5 or a different 9.0 saves you the extra $1,500. Ditto that 3.0; tying off a sail too small for the boom is not a good solution.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this helps but 2012 Futura 122 specs are below. Maybe look to used market or demo sails from stores for quiver? I would stick to one sail manufacture for quiver if possible.

sail range 5.5 - 9.0
stock fin Drake 42
fin range 34 - 44
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerotech has a camless 9.0 called the freespeed

then 7.2 same.

http://aerotechsails.com/freespeed.html

6.2 phantom

5.3 phantom

http://aerotechsails.com/phantom.html

that does mean 3 masts though

alternately, you could do 8.0 and 6.5 freespeeds and then just need 2 masts. if you have lots of 11-16, like me, yiou will be stuck with having to use a 9.0 sail. one of my sailing buddies weighs 135 lbs and sails his 9.0 lots.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
MARKCOTTERILL268

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Old school windsurfer needs quiver advice Reply with quote

Liking the info re mast lengths makes sense, and ideally keeping the same brand sails too. I've already got some really good condition old school sails (from late 90's along with my ultra cat), especially the 4 and 4.5 so would these work on the stronger wind days or would they not suit the futura? Then invest in some probably 3 decent second hand larger sails, and mast to suit?
Cheers
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT BUY OLD JUNK. Stay with in the same brand, for a lot of reasons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: