myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why aren't Exocet longboards the best selling boards?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beauty of Exocet's longboard wave boards is that in subplaning conditions, they still glide nicely through the water - there's no shlogging here. With some skill and rail pressure, they sail nicely upwind underpowered even without a dagger board. Uphauling a big sail - no problem. Plus the duck tail really does work nicely in giving a shortboard feel and maneuverability when planning. Glad to see they brought them back but would have preferred their older single wave fin version.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplest terms that come to mind: maui culture comes from industry leaders.

some logistical objections that come up as to why not are way more easily overcome once one sails one of these boards. when that happens lots of folks get the motivation to figure out the logistics and such. sad when lots won't even try though.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 11 8 Exocet and the 11 5 on order to arrive in then next few weeks. I can be the only person out in the light winds on the 11 8 - picking up the gusts and on the plane a few minutes at a time, catching long swell over shallow areas; however, others sitting and waiting would not be "seen" dead on a board such as this.(despite my offers to try it) In other rhetoric, when any board is described as easy to use and fun - it will inevitably be said to be a good board before you move onto a more advanced board - why say this? Its like saying the only car that matters is an F1. It is worrying looking around and seeing the average age of windsurfers as many have said - if we want to keep this sport alive and vibrant we need people to sail easier boards casually and not made to feel "inadequate" if they are not going all the way and making it a life style.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So true! What has happened at our real world beaches is that many of the older, sadder, generation of long standing windsurfers, who bought into the short board only lifestyle, have steadily been falling by the wayside. Now, I'm often the only one out in average conditions at our once heavily windsurfing populated venues.

To those who say why worry, it doesn't matter if you still enjoy it - it does matter! Drive and determination have to be generated, especially on dull cold winter days of average conditions, and the thought of yet again being the only one to make the effort, saps that will. As a local coastguard recently said, 'you were one of the first here, and are the last to leave.'

The obvious point is that I rely on my longboards at such times, which, to me, are an equally compelling addiction to short. As with sea kayaking, longboards are well suited to not needing to be part of a crowd, though it was pleasing on returning from a 'cruise' to still see the others zipping (or slogging) about in the bay. That is different to the culture of short-board life style.

The shortboarders who wer often skunked (and just talked) noticed this fact, but simply wouldn't consider using a longboard because they had 'moved up to the next level' as too many insist must happen.

So much for the insidious effect of image, and windsurfing mistakes!
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, these two posts ARE SO TRUE !!!

The ridiculous hype of the 90's... was when the industry (manufacturer's, media, competition planners, retailer's, etc.) started telling everyone that "longboards are for beginner's" !!!

This statement is hogwash... and I've been saying it loud to people since I first heard that crap!

If Robby or Bjorn go windsurfing in 2-12 knot wind (lots of 6-10 stuff) they're going on longboards. I'm not saying they want to go out in light wind... just that "if they do" they won't go on shortboards.

* The size board you sail on (length, vol, etc.) has to do with what wind speed you have, NOT what skill level you have!

Most places around the world have lighter wind. So if you're into windsurfing, get a bigger board and sail... and a roof rack so you can carry it easy... and go have fun. Or if you worry about image, get small stuff... and have fun sitting on the beach or slogging slow-motion.

On the other hand... if you live in a high wind place or only sail on high wind days (cause you have lots of them)... then, sail small sails and little boards.

Again, your board volume and sail size is determined by the prevailing wind speeds... NOT your skill level.

Greg Smile
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yesterday was a prime example of the validity of long boards. i posted this on my fb and windsurf florida page.

after all that back and forth about where to sail today:

i ended sailing at playalinda in nearly ideal wave sailing conditions

used my 10'5" x-wave and a 5.8 sail.

wind was 25 degrees side off and 15-26, it shifted more N as the afternoon progressed.

waves were 12 feet on some of the larger peaks, most shoulders rolled along for a quarter mile or longer at about 6-8 feet.

low tide helped the waves have an extra push, so i ended up chicken jibing 3 times before getting out. once out, i stayed out.

once the sun came out, air temp improved to 64. a pleasant surprise after a bitterly cold morning.

the waves were uber glassy until the wind went more side shore.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, we miss you here in Malibu. I may try the x-wave 129 when it becomes available in the spring.

We've had some pretty good days here this winter. One day my 5.0 was way too big and the surf mast high.
antonputman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian.bigfella@gmail.com wrote:
I would love to get a longboard, but they don't fit in my van.

My 10' WindSUP fits in the cargo space of my van just fine, keeping the cabin configuration.
There is still room for 2 other boards or 2 bikes etc.
I can even keep 2 SUP's in my van when opening the double bed and keeping the 2-seater.
Volkswagen Transporter (long wheelbase), awesome van for weekend warriors!

Photo 16-10-15 11 36 15.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  260.5 KB
 Viewed:  11571 Time(s)

Photo 16-10-15 11 36 15.jpg

Photo 16-10-15 11 34 16.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  264.33 KB

Photo 16-10-15 11 34 16.jpg

Photo 16-10-15 11 31 07.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  232.32 KB

Photo 16-10-15 11 31 07.jpg

Photo 16-10-15 11 30 25.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  272.57 KB

Photo 16-10-15 11 30 25.jpg

joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

locally in MTL i seem to be the ONLY one still riding longboards
there was a Phantom that was sold, but have no idea where that went

Sailboarder has a Kona One and I have seen one RRD longrider (that's it for the hybrids)
the rest are short boards of 135 liters and down
so far i have not seen a WindSup , but have seen about 2 or 3 people SUPping...

in today's world with RedBull, ecstasy and strong coffee, it seems it is all about speeding it up and getting the quick thrill

relax and take it easy of the golden days is gone
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
locally in MTL i seem to be the ONLY one still riding longboards
there was a Phantom that was sold, but have no idea where that went

Sailboarder has a Kona One and I have seen one RRD longrider (that's it for the hybrids)
the rest are short boards of 135 liters and down
so far i have not seen a WindSup , but have seen about 2 or 3 people SUPping...

in today's world with RedBull, ecstasy and strong coffee, it seems it is all about speeding it up and getting the quick thrill

relax and take it easy of the golden days is gone

Keep it going Joe. Because if you live in a moderate to light wind area, and or, are a bigger guy... then sailing a longboard is the best, practical way to get out windsurfing a lot.

Note - Just to keep people communicating, and using similar vocabulary and terminology Smile
Maybe I'm mis-reading Joe's post. Anyway, for clarification... a Kona One and a RRD Longrider are both classic longboard type designs.
Both fit right into the broad category of designs, with-in the longboard windsurfing category (since the sport began).
Anything 10' and longer and with a centerboard, is a longboard.
Wind-SUP's are also longboards (if they're with-in the above definition).

Hybrids are boards under 10' with a centerboard. Prodigy's and RS:X and other's.

< In today's world with RedBull, ecstasy and strong coffee, it seems it is all about speeding it up and getting the quick thrill. >
Longboards are often speedier than shortboards. But the major thing that determines that, is the wind speed (not the board's length or volume).
Two days ago, I sailed my longboard cause it was blowing up and down from 8-18 knots. There were two other shortboards about 130-135L out. We all had sails between 7.5 and 8.8M in size.
I went faster than they did, almost the whole time... had a much faster overall average session speed... and covered a LOT more ground (I sailed all over the lake, exploring... but they didn't get very far from our launch).
Only in the highest gusts, did we all go about the same speed.

Lastly - Earlier I said the windsurfing industry contributed to this issue (this thread title). An example of this, is when I clicked on RRD Longrider to read about it. The company's description of their fine product is good, except the phrase "beginner board" should not be in there. There's a better way to describe it than that. Having "beginner" in there, keeps many people from buying it (which is a shame).
IMHO, Greg Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: