myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why aren't Exocet longboards the best selling boards?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Why aren't Exocet longboards the best selling boards? Reply with quote

I bought a Exocet 10'5 longboard a month ago when I moved to Florida. Since then the wind has occasionally blown, but mostly in the 10-16 mph range. Without the longboard I would have been able to sail twice in the last 4 weeks. With it I've logged 7 sessions. And they have been fun wave sessions, riding both backside and frontside. And when the wind picks up enough to plane it planes really well. About as well as my FSW.

Yet I have only actually met one other person who owns one (and read about a couple more on the internet). I can understand not needing one if you live in Hawaii, on the Oregon coast, near San Francisco, Arroyo Laguna or Cape Hatteras. But anywhere else on the east or west coast would triple their wave sailing days with one of these boards.

Any good explanation, or are windsurfers just to fashion conscious to sail longboards?
Brian.bigfella@gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to get a longboard, but they don't fit in my van.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't answer your question, but can assure you that a longboard would boost TOW dramatically even in the windier spots you mention and the obvious blowhole you do not: the Gorge. The latter blows in the teens FAR more often than it blows harder, but since it is flat below 20 mph, most regulars prefer lawn chairs. At the OR coast, however, one can get waves in light winds, so their longboard rejection is costing them tons of playtime. Even Maui residents would boost their TOW with one. Snobbery? Ignorance? Crowd mentality? Not seeing Ingebritsen's action photos? Who knows, but keep pushing; they'll catch on.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian.bigfella@gmail.com wrote:

Well, SHIT, dude ... Buy a bigger van. What's $10 to $40k if that's what it takes for more TOW? Very Happy

Actually, I hear you. Gear convenience and security mean a lot. I gotta admit that a significant reason I chose my 8'3" windSUP was that it fit inside my Subaru.
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were in Oahu?
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian.bigfella@gmail.com wrote:

The 10'5 fits in a Honda minivan. This is my car when I realized (while still on the water) that I had 20 minutes to pick up my kids from school. Everything got thrown in the car without thought to organization. And it all went in no problem. The kids fitted in too.

Untitled.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.96 MB
 Viewed:  14956 Time(s)

Untitled.png

Last edited by capetonian on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:51 am; edited 2 times in total
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ... but yer van FELL OVER with the load. Very Happy
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Yeah ... but yer van FELL OVER with the load. Very Happy

Oops, picture rotated and reposted
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassman wrote:
I thought you were in Oahu?

Too expensive.

I already miss Oahu, the wave sailing there is really good. Even during a summer season that the locals said was the least windy in decades I still sailed way more than I would have in CA. And when the wind wasn't blowing the surfing was awesome. No excuse not to get wet 7 days a week.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us buy the Kona One Design instead. It's 350 cm (11' 6") length fits inside my Honda Odyssey with enough room left for a front passenger. I've also had a 380 cm 1993 Fanatic MegaCat in the Odyssey, but not with a front passenger.

Longboards guarantee an enjoyable sailing experience every time you have opportunity and enough wind to counter opposing currents. I think shortboarders get that. But, somehow they overlook the shortboard guarantee which says 30% or 40% or 50% of the times when you could have used a longboard you won't be able to windsurf your shortboard because there won't be enough wind to offset opposing currents.

A longboarder's lament is, "I could have been faster on a shortboard." A shorboarder's lament is, "I would have been sailing if I had a longboard."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: